Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feedback on rejected

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this rejected photo.

Reason for rejection: Quality Issue

K

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

My initial reaction is that the shadows are underexposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

I don't think there's sufficient light for commercial print purposes. See histogram in Photoshop.

image.png

As a quick & dirty experiment, I copied layer, applied a level adjustment layer to brighten exposure on everything.  Then created a layer mask and painted with a soft round brush at opacity of 61% and flow of 56% to bring back some contours and shadows.  It's not perfect but you get the general idea. 

image.png

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you had very strong contrast situation/scene and you've done almost good work with exposition etc. (IMHO). If you go to curves you could see a little bit overeposed red ch., not OK contrast for green and blue (in RGB that I'd frefer for this img, not CMYK or LAB). I've done few clicks with curves to up shadows (dog etc.), down red overexp.(sun&sky) and set BB acc. to *grey* stowns (of course, they are not in such light cond.)) for illustration only (it'd prefer to work with RAW, not JPG preview) - like Den Margulys recommends us:))

AND I'm (as a photographer with almost 40 years experience, in general, from film times)) realy wondering of current Adobe Stock *experts* and their rejections. If they are only iphone shoters for *insta* I can accept that they do not understand/know what is right exposition (w/o strong highlights overexp.), contrast, DOF, esp. for telelenses, BB etc., etc. Even digital amateur newcomers know well enough such basics.

For example, look at this Adobe Stock *bestsellers*:

- https://stock.adobe.com/uk/images/picturesque-sunset-over-a-mountain-valley-background-wallpaper/521...    with strong highlights overexp./not OK hystogram, strange BB and blicks/reflections from chip filter (lens).

-https://stock.adobe.com/uk/stock-photo/id/488327479?asset_id=490181289   what a hell is going on with highlights overexp. around painted/effect *sun* in dull sky?!! Lock at shadows and you'll understand in a second where true sun was! What about horizon and composition at all?.. I think that's not PHOTOGRAPHY..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last comment was related to another *shot* in the group acc. link below, so I've attached its printscreen for sure:

-https://stock.adobe.com/uk/stock-photo/id/488327479?asset_id=490181289   what a hell is going on with highlights overexp. around painted/effect *sun* in dull sky?!! Lock at shadows and you'll understand in a second where true sun was!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dmytro25720280qh4w,

I'm not sure how relevant the majority of your remarks are to the original post.  I'm tempted to move it to a new topic.

Keep in mind that many photos in Adobe Stock's vast inventory were grandfathered in from old Fotolio collections when Adobe acquired it years ago.  Quality standards have risen since then. What was accepted previously, may not be be good enough by current standards.

Utimately what gets accepted isn't nearly as important as what the customer thinks. No sales = no royalty payments.  Stock is a volume business, not a photography contest.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I could agree with only one key point: customer requests rule. Request for *insta*, for Internet. Because no one (respecting itself) polygraphy company accepts  such *masterpieces* with histogram highlights cut. Standards are almost the same in 80-, 90-th, for positive slides scans, then for first digital camera (with very low DR) shots, etc. (I know that enough because I provided digital materials for polygraphy, scanned films).

By the way, I’m sure that even modern/digital expert would have certain experience with film photography, particularly would shot&scan certain quantity of slides to understand what is correct exposition, real (not corrected in dig. camera) shadows/highlights, balance between details and noise reduction for real prints (not for 100% screen view – have you ever seen on screen any 25..50..100MP film slide scan at 100%?))

And example in swimming pool mentioned above is about 30MP and I could suggest it was taken with modern enough camera (sorry, I havn’t EXIF). And such *result* could be explained only by strong amateur mistakes in picture taking and/or post-processing.

Hope for your understanding (as Adobe Expert))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dmytro25720280qh4w wrote:

By the way, I’m sure that even modern/digital expert would have certain experience with film photography

Why should they? Digital photography is long enough around, that younger persons have no experience with film. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most 20-30 year olds have never held a film camera.  Since 2003, digital cameras have outsold film camerasKodak stopped making film cameras in January 2004. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My initial reaction is that the shadows are underexposed.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's sufficient light for commercial print purposes. See histogram in Photoshop.

image.png

As a quick & dirty experiment, I copied layer, applied a level adjustment layer to brighten exposure on everything.  Then created a layer mask and painted with a soft round brush at opacity of 61% and flow of 56% to bring back some contours and shadows.  It's not perfect but you get the general idea. 

image.png

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m very sorry, but your approach/PS tools used are very amateur. As Adobe Expert you’d better work with curves to provide needed contrast for concerning details (in highlights and in shadows too). Of course, having in mind that in sunrise light conditions initial R and G,B channels are very different and require different curve modifications. Of course, in RAW, not in compressed JPG (I’ve used for example only). Your mask + amateur PS toolset approach leads to digitally not natural and flat picture (sorry again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not doing a Photoshop tutorial.  As I said, it's a quick & dirty example that took under 3 minutes, far from perfect.  More of a starting point than a final product. 😉

That said, @Kirsten2571969029mz can take what she will from it.  We are unpaid forum volunteers and product users.  We're not here to do in-depth photo editing for contributors. That's the photographer's job. 🙂

To delve deeper into Photoshop & Lightroom, YouTube has some good tutorials by Photoshop Training Channel (PTC) and piXimperfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines