• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First post here, Hello! Image rejection, advice needed!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst I appreciate that the image has been taken in heavy snowfall (the effect is intentional) and the subject is still clearly seen.  In my mind, this is a great image and actually one that I'm very proud of and even one that could have done reasonably well as it's so different to the other images taken in the same area.  Maybe it's just not meant for Stock photography purposes? Maybe I've just got sentimental about it.  Thanks all!

IMG_9367.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

It is a lovely scene, however when I zoom in I see a significant amount of noise. It might not be possible to reduce the noise without causing the image to be too soft.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Well, it depends on which side of the fence you are on.

On the one hand, it could be said that the photo is dark and gloomy. You don't have a lot of mid-tones. You could increase the whites and blacks a bit.

Another point is the white balance. In my view, it is rather green.

On the other hand, it depends on what effect you want - dark and gloomy?

For stock purposes, though, I don't think this is usable in its current state. You will need to make a few corrections.

Exposure, white balance, black and white points, etc. 

As a quick example:

IMG_9367exposure.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually think that's closer to what was rejected.  The only copy I could find was an older version on my phone.  The whites are def brighter.  I think the attached is what was uploaded.  Will get to my laptop later...bled1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly, the image that you posted appears greener than mine on my calibrated display (on my desktop at the moment).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to spend a bit of time correcting the white balance and exposure - maybe some masking in some areas... I did a quick overall correction, but it needs more work. However, due to the weather, the colours will be muted - and there is nothing wrong with this.

I should have asked, what was the actual rejection reason? Quality issues? (Which I suspect.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, correct, quality issues.  For me the white balance is where it should be, it's meant to reflect a cold dark winter's day, almost like being in a fantasy snow globe.  I'll look at doing some masking though.  I appreciate the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jgreen0586 ,

This has the chromatic noise and blown out highlights.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @ricky336 , 

it is too dark, too green/blue, needs some sharpening, the tonal range needs to be corrected, blacks, shadow, midtones, highlights and whites. I would also crop down some to reduce the empty space and emphasize the subject.

1-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ralph, I appreciate your input.  You may well be correct for Stock purposes, I do however feel that in terms of overall image it loses a great deal with such a crop. Maybe it's my screen but it also now looks over-sharpened - I appreciate you're just working with the Jpeg too though!

Many thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saying that, your crop would make a lovely Christmas card too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't crop. It's a nice picture and with some corrections it could pass. Cropping is something which is best done by the end user, if the picture uncropped looks balanced. Especially sky is important. You can easily crop, but it's difficult to add, if you would, need more sky.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a lovely scene, however when I zoom in I see a significant amount of noise. It might not be possible to reduce the noise without causing the image to be too soft.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, but that's for the most part caused by the thousands of snowflakes falling from the sky, so unfortunately it's real world noise, rather than camera/editing induced 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. If you zoom in you see very noticeable color noise. What is the ISO?

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ISO 125

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Unfortunately, @Jill_C  is right. There is quite a bit of noise - chromatic noise (coloured noise). I missed that in my first feedback. This is another valid reason for rejection!

See the two examples:

IMG_9367_noise.jpg

Noticed the coloured specks!

And now with chromatic noise reduction removed:

IMG_9367_noise_reduced.jpg

Even though you used a low ISO, due to the lack of light when you took this picture, noise will be noticeable.

You can't say it's 'real world noise' even though I get what you mean, but it is due to the camera sensor, and that there is a lack of light, which makes the noise more noticeable in the exposure as in this case.

Have a read about noise from Photography Life. It's a good explanation!

What Is Noise in Photography? (photographylife.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Noise is created by:

• High ISO
  • long exposure
  • editing, especially increasing exposure, lifting shadows and blacks. 

I've never seen natural noise... if you exclude sensor noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the picture on my iPad, it looks like chromatic noise. It may well be that the sensor got fooled and the demosaicing did not work well. You can try to push the cromatic noise slider to the extremes. At some point you should get a neutral snow fall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jgreen0586 ,

The noise is not natural.

Regards

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a fantastic photo.  What a great scene.  
If we are going to post our versions of the photo I want in on the action.  I can't help myself, I love editing photos.

snow.jpgLR Classic settingsLR Classic settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! I think I may have to join the discord and share the raw file and see what people come up with, it's lovely seeing what people can do with their own take on each other's photos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jgreen0586 

The photo is underexposed and with chromatic noise.

jacquelingphoto2017_1-1668826497793.png

You need to zoom in to between 100 and 200% to look for issues. To learn how to identify these issues, go through the information at this link.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines