• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I got rejected for technical reasons, texture photo.

Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community. I got rejected for technical reasons. Please tell me what could be the reasons for this.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Hello,

1.  You need a central point to focus your eye on something. Too much is out of focus.
  2.  The white balance needs to be corrected. Currently, it is just too yellow!
  3.  What are you trying to show? What purpose does this have? How could it be used in a commercial setting? Who would buy it and why? You need to ask yourself these questions. One thing is to get the picture accepted, another is to make multiple sales!

As @Robert McAlpine says, you need to have something that draws your eye. In your

Votes

Translate

Translate

In addition to the white balance issue which makes the bark too orange/yellow, the background and shadows are purple, which doesn't seem natural. However, even if you fix that issue, the too-shallow depth of field cannot be corrected and would still earn a rejection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Also the color balance is not neutral. 

It's a nice idea that requires more work.  Try repeating the shot with different apertures and  distances.   If you're using a longer shutter speed, use a stable tripod and remote to reduce motion.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the color balance is not neutral. 

It's a nice idea that requires more work.  Try repeating the shot with different apertures and  distances.   If you're using a longer shutter speed, use a stable tripod and remote to reduce motion.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Olexandr22522449d3x6 ,

You went in too close to take this photo. As a result you get too much of a small area in focus. It is very tricky taking tree trunk photos especially if its large.

Even though I do not know the tree and the environment, there is a purple color that seem to be unnatural. The algae on the tree can either be yellow or green depending on how cool the areas is. Yellow algae will let the tree bark appear yellow. Another thing is that some tree barks are slightly colored. However judging from the background, the purple should not be there.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I think that can be different reasons. In my opinion, as a non-Adobe employee, it could be that the depth of field used could be interpreted as a blur. As a picture it looks good, but according to the guidelines it could be interpreted that way.
In the Contributor Panel on the right side in the Tab for the rejected Images there should be some more hints what can be improved. Hope that helps.

regards,
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it could be that the depth of field used could be interpreted as a blur.

By @Henrik Heigl

I suppose that moderators are qualified enough to distinguish between the different types of blur. DOF is very regularly a point of discussion, but you are right that in this case, it's simply not looking correct.

@Henrik Heigl wrote:

In the Contributor Panel on the right side in the Tab for the rejected Images there should be some more hints what can be improved.

The indications from Adobe are pretty generic. I do think they are helpful as a general aspect for beginners, even that most beginners are confused about the text, but they do not give you a hint on the specific troubles of the image. And often, an image has more than one issue.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my eyes, only a very small portion of the image is in the focal plane.  Usually having part of your image in focus and part out of focus is a deliberate attempt by the photogfrapher to emphasize and highlight some important feature of the composition and when I look at youur image, I get the impression that what is in focus is random.  Also - what message is the image sending to me?  I am not sure what you were intending, but for me I don't find the image compelling and my eye wanders rather aimlessly and the in-focus part of the image is where it finnally rests; but there is no message there.  I have seen lots of images of tree bark; but the best of them have something like a fungus as a central point of the composition.  I don't find anything like that in this image. I hope these thoughts are helpful and that you go back into the forest and choose a more compelling subject to photograph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

1.  You need a central point to focus your eye on something. Too much is out of focus.
  2.  The white balance needs to be corrected. Currently, it is just too yellow!
  3.  What are you trying to show? What purpose does this have? How could it be used in a commercial setting? Who would buy it and why? You need to ask yourself these questions. One thing is to get the picture accepted, another is to make multiple sales!

As @Robert McAlpine says, you need to have something that draws your eye. In your shot there isn't anything, I'm afraid!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the white balance issue which makes the bark too orange/yellow, the background and shadows are purple, which doesn't seem natural. However, even if you fix that issue, the too-shallow depth of field cannot be corrected and would still earn a rejection. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try to improve the photo based on your advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I agree, that the white balance is off, I think that it needs to get warmer, as the shadows are bluish. The huge amount of yellow probably points to added saturation, either selectively for the yellow colour range or as an overall added saturation push.

The picture has also a higher noise level than expected:

Abambo_0-1665660514805.png

And yes, your DOF is too narrow. Your main subject should have more in focus than just a small stripe.

IMHO, at least the marked area should be nicely in focus for such a picture:

Abambo_1-1665661010106.png

I have a similar picture in the database, and all my bark is in focus.

And getting to @ricky336 point: it does not sell!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Olexandr22522449d3x6 ,

There seem to be a problem. I do not see the file you query.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The file is in my first reply.  I forgot to upload it in the main post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines