• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

im a newbie using free uploader can someone tell me why these are rejected for technical

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

youmatter1.jpgselflove1.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Cute idea to use heart-shaped cheerios for lettering. In the first image you have a huge blownout hot spot in the middle and uneven lighting throughout. The lettering is not level, and the background exhibits a lot of flaws. The second image is not sharply focused, and the background has a lot of flaws. If that's your only wooden table top on which to arrange the objects, you might try oiling it first to disguise some of the flaws.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

I agree with @Jill_C.  Both images suffer from poor light exposure levels as can be seen by the lopsided Histogram Panel in Photoshop.

image.png

Keep working at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cute idea to use heart-shaped cheerios for lettering. In the first image you have a huge blownout hot spot in the middle and uneven lighting throughout. The lettering is not level, and the background exhibits a lot of flaws. The second image is not sharply focused, and the background has a lot of flaws. If that's your only wooden table top on which to arrange the objects, you might try oiling it first to disguise some of the flaws.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok ,  I used my phone to edit  the pics  and then to  canva to do height and width as 4 mp  then submited

it.   Is it better not to do edits on my phone or canva or  I just have to redo how I did it

Can it be fixed  by photo shop > or have  another person  edit  what  I did to make it work?

Im trying to figure all the steps to make my pics technically rightt  so they accepet the uploads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phone cameras are convenient and portable but you will struggle to get good quality images from your phone.  If you're serious about Stock Photography, you should invest in better equipment -- either new or used.  It makes a big difference on many levels.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-entry-level-dslr-camera

Use a desktop computer to edit RAW photos in Lightroom or Photoshop where you have much greater control than in phone apps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the new phones were as good as these cameras for photos?  So your saying I would   still need to invest in a real camera and not use my phone for stock photos specifically? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it is not impossible to take a mobile phone picture that is good enough for Adobe Stock, the results are very dependent on the subject matter and available light. Your composition, which was apparently captured in a poorly lit area that required a blast of flash, is a prime example of when a mobile phone is NOT going to be good enough. Spend some time searching the database of existing images to help you recognize what the acceptable level of quality looks like.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

truth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know anything about canva, and you shouldn't be downsizing your images anyway. If the image is seriously flawed to begin with, you're not going to be able to fix it with editing. In the first image, the large blownout area has no detail whatsoever and no editing can repair that. Neither can editing "fix" bad focus, though a bit of sharpening can be done. As Nancy has suggested, the best editing tools are Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom (and I'm not just saying that because this is an Adobe site). I do 95%+ of my edits in Lightroom and only a few images need to go to Photoshop. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the first image  the light is with a flashlight. downs sizing? what do you mean ?

I took from my  phone camera and  then the 4mp measurements were used in canva for height and width  so  I thought I did the correct size asked. I thought  thats what editing is for to  fix photos what ever they need, ayeeee.  Now im even more confused. So basically these pictures are useless cant fix them and I need start over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reality, what happens is that a camera, whether full frame or that of a telephone, does not make you a photographer, to take photographs you have to acquire the knowledge of how to do them, I will explain myself better, with a mobile you can take photos for your family and for your uses, all of them fabulous (mobile phones have built-in artificial intelligence programs that fix your photo) but not for commercial use since logically neither the sensor nor the optics of a phone is the same as that of a camera, with a camera you will be able to achieve what your creative capacity asks of you in another way at the moment it is not possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @Jill_C.  Both images suffer from poor light exposure levels as can be seen by the lopsided Histogram Panel in Photoshop.

image.png

Keep working at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my,  thanks for that in phptpshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isnt that was photoshop is for? to fix these issues after the fact? So why wouldnt I be able to fix the technicallissues in thes programs? lightening, focus, bakcground, or reinvent the pic using the words or something so its acceptable. Or have  someoneselse edit it who kows how ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can fix a lot of things. But a lot of things depend on taking a good photo in the first place. Adobe want world class commercial photography, which is usually made by people with years of training and experience in making photos to sell. I like your ideas, but you need to learn a lot of technique to make them into the best pictures in the world. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is great for fixing details. But getting the picture right in your camera should be your aim.

And for your question above (phone versus camera): During all times you had snapshot cameras, the ones you took with you for easy family shots. Easy set-up, point and click. For the standard print sizes they were ok, but as soon as you wanted to enlarge the picture, you saw the limits. The professional family studio shot in contrast did also look great at bigger print sizes. It was not onky the camera, that was more expensive, but also the photographer who did know the correct settings and the developper who could correct the picture. All together were working as a team, to get you the best shot experience. 

The quality of a modern camera shoot is technology dependent. And there are two issues where size matters: the sensor (the bigger the better) and the lens (the bigger the better). Phones are small a nd compact by defintition and the picture quality is great, for their size, but they will never be competitive against more professional cameras. And the more expensive a camera is, the better the image quality is (general rule, but like with cars, you have cameras that per se are expensive...). And the same is true for lenses. 

Sure, there is Photoshop and the like to make good pictures better, but there is no tool to enhance a bad picture. 

So

• Rule 1: get it right in camera.
  • Rule 2: enhance

And yes, I used Photoshop a lot, to get bad pictures better, but there was no way to get them good. I did so, because there was no alternative, in no way they were near stock quality needs.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was a great explaination

I guess Im thinking the phone cameras are on par these days with the Nikons and Cannons

and the tools they are giving us on the phones editing or apps are just as good as photoshop

I guess not. I figured running  my pic through these would  fix any issues for uploads

I guess That  was a dream haaaaaa.  So it seems I need a real camera and to add lenses and  sensors all that then light room to enhance. So much  for phone cameras and editing lol

Also a better pic from get go lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't invest in cameras and lenses specifically to capture images for stock sales. The average royalty is under $1 per image sold. You'll never recover the investment. However, if you're interested in learning more about photography and editing and taking photos for your own enjoyment, having good equipment can be rewarding and stock sales can add a little bit of extra income. Most of us consider it a "side hustle" or hobby income. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see,  but you can offer your own photos for sale on your own website  or other social media if anything?

or put on a free stock site for others to use ?   you can also rent camera equip  instead

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can sell photos through social media sites, but you can promote yourself as a photographer. There are a variety of sites where you can sell photos including SmugMug, PicFair, Zenfolio and others. But the issue is driving customers to your site. It will be very difficult and time consuming to get people to discover your images. The advantage of Adobe Stock is that designers can search within the Adobe apps for the images they need. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isnt that was photoshop is for?

By @marcella8

==========

There is an old saying, "you can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear." 

Photoshop is for minimal retouching, straightening out minor photo flaws.  Beyond that, you must reshoot the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see,  I thought it was you can do anything wirth photoshop, guess not lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @marcella8,

Nice composition photographs you have. However, they are too cool, and overexposed in some areas. While flash can be used for fill lighting, it should not be used for primary lighting.

As highlighted, phone camera can be used, however you need to compensate for their limitations. It is quite likely most photos you take with your phone camera will be rejected due to resulting flaws. 

The only photo corrections you do are to ensure you have correct exposure, light balance and vibrancy. You also need to do lens correction sometimes, and to clean noise and fringing. The subject's appearance should be as is in reality.

In the future if you're using a flashlight to as in the case of the first image, shine the light directly on something white and allow the reflected light to light you image. In this way you'll get even lighting.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips 🙂   so is there any place for  phone camera photos? and their editing or apps to be put?   or is itonly Adobe you need a real camera and other places will take phone pics and edited ones in that  fashion Im a bit confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your poorly lit mobile phone snapshots are not going to be accepted by any stock agencies. The quality is just not sufficient, and as several of us have said above, you can't fix bad photos with Photoshop. Read ALL of the material on the Adobe Stock Learn & Support pages to determine what is required to be successful at selling images on Adobe Stock, and spend time studying other images that are already in the database to help you discern what constitutes good quality. Start by looking at other images with Cheerios, and observe how well lit, sharply focused and nicely composed they are:

https://stock.adobe.com/search?filters%5Bcontent_type%3Aphoto%5D=1&filters%5Bcontent_type%3Aillustra...

https://helpx.adobe.com/support/stock-contributor.html

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I think I get it all now, thanks for all the conscise answers and support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines