• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Model releases for people in a public place that can't be recognised?

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just wondering if model releases are required for people in a public area that couldn't be recognized anyway. I'm attaching an example of what I mean.  

Thank you, very much

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is no. If they are not recognizable, you do not need a release.

Your photo is underexposed. If I lighten the photo, will the people still be unrecognizable?

If the answer is no, then you will need a release.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The theory is - no, not if they are not recognisable. But that includes the question: could this person - the accidental model - recognise themselves? Perhaps from the combination of location, clothes, situation? For example people have submitted pictures of a fisherman by a river, from the back - but a fisherman will know every inch of the river, and will know themselves, will probably the remember the day and what they caught. Similarly, if it is 3 people walking in a recognisable place, the people in the group might remember the moment, and the outfits that day. In your picture, I think the main question would be about the person standing in the centre. They are in a recognisable place, with some kind of patterned outfit, doing something specific. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really think @Test Screen Name and @RALPH_L really nailed it.  The only thing I'll add is that if I were in this photo, I'd recognize myself.  There are recognizable features to these people when zooming in

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Get in the habit of carrying model & property release forms with you when you travel.  It's best to be prepared with forms when needed than not.  😉

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines