• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not accepted, but I think I know why...

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just submitted this, and it was not accepted. I think I know why, and I really did not notice this before,  it's the blown out subject matter in the upper right corner. This can easily be fixed in a reshoot.

But as usual, tech support did not specify WHY it was rejected, just that it had technical problems.

Does anyone else see what can be fixed or improved? Sure could use some critiques.

I'm learning very quickly to pay attention to glaring errors and all the little details. As a side note they did accept many other studio shots I did with similar lighting and subject matter.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Yes, the lights are extremely blown out. There are also problems in the shadows. The lower left area of the image is simply too dark. The subject needs to be more evenly lit without losing the micro contrasts.

Adobe Photoshop 2022ScreenSnapz012.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be that, if you get it technically perfect, you will get a rejection for IP. I think taking pictures of something that someone else made is a risk use of your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your assist. I'll keep that in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Test Screen Name wrote:

It might be that, if you get it technically perfect, you will get a rejection for IP. I think taking pictures of something that someone else made is a risk use of your time.

It doesn't seem that coins have the same problem than bills. Coins get accepted and the US does not claim (c) on money. The only trouble is with the progress with colour printer technology, there is a legal restriction on how much % of a bill you can publish.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If coins are not the same IP than bills are, I'll then reshoot this. I did this still life just because it makes a great shot. I knew about not showing too much with paper money, but coins didn't seem to have that same concern. With the reshoot I'll overlap the coins more with each other. Thanks for the input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some coins are restricted and some are not.  You need to educate yourself about what you can and cannot use in commercial photography. 

More importantly, the U.S. Mint has free images available for Editorial Use.  I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time on this.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the lights are extremely blown out. There are also problems in the shadows. The lower left area of the image is simply too dark. The subject needs to be more evenly lit without losing the micro contrasts.

Adobe Photoshop 2022ScreenSnapz012.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized this when I took a second look. I'll be more careful in future lighting setup. Thanks for your comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

overexposed highlights and underexposed shadows. IP may be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lighting is definitely an issue, but when I zoom in to 100% or more the lack of sharp even focus also becomes detectable.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighting sure is the issue. I'll keep a more accurate on my light placement in the future. Thanks for your assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you submit images of circulated U.S. coins, read this from the U.S. Mint.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/image-library

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for submitting this. I'll certainly take this under advisement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SDT1954 ,

The issues I see are already covered. I would like for your to take a look at the list with known IP restrictions. Note in particular what is said about currencies.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Was not aware of this for coins. I'll just withdraw the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines