• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo rejected for technical issues

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate feedback regarding the technical issues which led to the rejection of this photo. Thank you. 

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

I do not agree with some of my colleagues that the background is too soft. But I agree that the butterfly has a focus problem. In addition, you have chromatic aberration:

Abambo_0-1627131588347.png

I think also the colours are too soft. A vibrancy punch would help. And you could add a small white balance correction.

Abambo_2-1627131863917.png

If you apply sharpening to the butterfly, don't sharpen the background. In the contrary, do soft noise reduction.

With little luck, and at least some corrections as suggested applied, the picture may pass.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main subject is well focused but the background behind it is oddly distorted and unnatural. Is this a focus stack? I've seen these kinds of anomalies on uncorrected stacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input; I appreciate your opinion. I did not do anything to the background; I have no knowledge of focus stacks nor have I ever used that sort of technique. My lens (Nikkor 500mm) has produced that sort of bokeh as long as I have used it which is over a decade now. Thanks again for your response to my question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Examine your image at 100-200% magnification.

The background is too soft as are some parts of the butterfly. 

A nice image, though. 🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, Nancy; I appreciate your input. I will definitely be resorting more and more to the 100-200% magnification in the future before submitting a file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @bonnieb5211667 , I agree with @Nancy OShea , the butterfly is too soft. You need to sharpen the this portion of the image. The softness of the background is in my opinion not a problem. However, when viewed at 200% movement (double image) of the flower can be seen.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ralph, for your insights and for the time you took to point out problems with my image; it's very good to have teaching points one can resort to in the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not agree with some of my colleagues that the background is too soft. But I agree that the butterfly has a focus problem. In addition, you have chromatic aberration:

Abambo_0-1627131588347.png

I think also the colours are too soft. A vibrancy punch would help. And you could add a small white balance correction.

Abambo_2-1627131863917.png

If you apply sharpening to the butterfly, don't sharpen the background. In the contrary, do soft noise reduction.

With little luck, and at least some corrections as suggested applied, the picture may pass.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your informative and educational post; you went above and beyond the call of duty to examine this image and to clarify the ways it can be improved. When I process raw files I am always sure to address noise, exposure, white balance (when it is really evident), and I usually apply unsharp mask as the final touch. Unfortunately, I forget to look for chromatic aberration so your point is well taken, a good reminder to me! Thank you, too, for suggesting that I sharpen parts of the image; I don't usually think of doing that. Your insights have proved very valuable and I thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. 

White balance without a proper reference is nearly always a little trial and error. I love to switch between the camera and LrC suggestions, and very often stay with my camera. But from time to time and especially after a rejection, that I can't explain, I slightly adjust wb. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines