• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Public Domain images marked as "editorial use" only

People's Champ ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon doing a search for "secretary of state" on Adobe Stock I was presented with a set of three us government seals for president, vice president & secretary of state.  The image is marked as "editorial use only".   While it is totally legal to sell public domain images (although ethically questionalble)

why are these images marked as editorial use only?

Just curious

~Gutterfish
TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Official U.S. Gov't seals, badges and logos cannot be used for commercical purposes  -- i.e. brochures, posters, pamphlets, print & digital ads, product packaging & merchandise, etc...  It is however appropriate to use them for editorial purposes in news articles, blogs and reporting.

18 U.S. Code § 713

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/713

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gutterfish,

Logos are refused when submitted without the "Editorial use only" flag.

@P.M.B wrote:

While it is totally legal to sell public domain images (although ethically questionalble)

why are these images marked as editorial use only?

It's only legal if you recreated the logo, at least on Adobe stock, as the creator asserts to have all rights on the file:

Content ownership

Copyright: You must own or control all the rights to files you submit to Adobe Stock. Don’t submit files that don’t belong to you (for example, photos that your spouse took) or that incorporate items that are not yours, such as content found on the internet including sites that allow free downloads. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/stock/contributor/help/submission-guidelines.html

If I needed such a file, my first look would be Wikipedia… Just a thought.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I needed such a file, my first look would be Wikipedia… Just a thought.

By @Abambo

For sure.  I was searching for something else and just happened to see those.  Whoever uploaded those logos did quite a job.  They're indistinguishable from the actual seals.  I'm not sure how one could actually tell if their recreations or not.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Official U.S. Gov't seals, badges and logos cannot be used for commercical purposes  -- i.e. brochures, posters, pamphlets, print & digital ads, product packaging & merchandise, etc...  It is however appropriate to use them for editorial purposes in news articles, blogs and reporting.

18 U.S. Code § 713

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/713

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines