• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quality Issue, weird dot in some pictures!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am a new contributor trying to grow my portfolio on adobe. 

For the last couple weeks I learned a lot about stock photography and pretty much adjusted my whole style of making photos and post production. 

Still just a few of my pictures passe the quality check and I noticed a dot on some of my pictures.

Does anybody know from what this artefact is coming from?20221009131108_IMG_1108.jpg20220907140346_IMG_0956.jpg

TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Yes,

It's dust on your sensor, which appears as a 'dust spot' in the photo. This is very common. It can be cloned out in post-processing. 

How to Spot Dust on Your DSLR Sensor (photographylife.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

You can also clean your sensor. Youtube has several videos on the subject. You can also have it cleaned at most camera stores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Aside from the dust spots, I saw a few technical issues worth mentioning.

IMG_1108 has noticeable noise when viewed at 100% view, and the foreground appeared soft.  It's been my experience the silhouette look of the foreground is considered a technical flaw even though it's intentional on your part.

IMG_0956 There was less noise, but still some visible between 100% and 200%.  The city buildings weren't completely silhouetted but I still think they are too dark and lacking detail.  It may be

Votes

Translate

Translate

If the dot is in the same spot on all images, it's most likely on the sensor, which will need to be cleaned. Many people prefer to have it cleaned by a professional, since an inexperienced user could scratch and ruin the sensor. It could also be a lens spot. I always keep a lens cloth in my pocket and wipe the lens frequently, particularly when shooting outdoors.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,

It's dust on your sensor, which appears as a 'dust spot' in the photo. This is very common. It can be cloned out in post-processing. 

How to Spot Dust on Your DSLR Sensor (photographylife.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will try ro fix it in post-production and hope I can still use them for stock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the cloning is clean, and that there are no other quality issues! (Exposure, focus, white balance, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also clean your sensor. Youtube has several videos on the subject. You can also have it cleaned at most camera stores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I want to see how much they are taking for this in a camera store but thank you very much I may try it if its to expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That shouldn't cost a fortune. And it is worth, except if the spots are oil droplets, then it can become nasty.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from the dust spots, I saw a few technical issues worth mentioning.

IMG_1108 has noticeable noise when viewed at 100% view, and the foreground appeared soft.  It's been my experience the silhouette look of the foreground is considered a technical flaw even though it's intentional on your part.

IMG_0956 There was less noise, but still some visible between 100% and 200%.  The city buildings weren't completely silhouetted but I still think they are too dark and lacking detail.  It may be possible to recover some detail the buildings, but my quick attempts didn't turn out well and had a strong blue color cast.

Don't sweat the rejections, we've all had our fair share.  I always treat them as a learning opportunity to better evaluate my photos for the next submissions.  If you include exif data like camera settings etc, we may be able to offer more specific advice.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the dot is in the same spot on all images, it's most likely on the sensor, which will need to be cleaned. Many people prefer to have it cleaned by a professional, since an inexperienced user could scratch and ruin the sensor. It could also be a lens spot. I always keep a lens cloth in my pocket and wipe the lens frequently, particularly when shooting outdoors.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines