• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quality Issues

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me understand the quality issues here.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

The image is underexposed in the shadows and not sharp enough. I should be able to read that sign on the wall, but it's too blurry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi @MooreStuff ,

There is a white balance issue. The photo has a blue cast. When zoomed a purple color fringing is slightly visible around the bricks. Also exposure is out as mentioned earlier.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1711735178316.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

The building on the left and the brick wall with the entrance way are leaning. This can often be fixed with Photoshop's Distort tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nice subject but it's poorly lit and leaning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

You have several major issues in that image, including missing sharpness (which may be related to the used lens) and chromatic aberration:

Abambo_0-1711748289594.png

This is a screenshot at 100% and should be crisp sharp! The Arrow points to the chromatic aberration. The asset also misses contrast. Looking at the histogram shows that:

Abambo_2-1711748504675.png

You see to the left missing blacks, to the right a bigger junk of missing whites.

Here are my parameters, that I would apply (more or less) to an image like this:

Abambo_3-1711749029151.png

The paved floor (arrow)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Hello,

One thing you need to bear in mind regarding your lenses (I'm going to assume it's a kit lens that comes with the camera) is that most unfortunately, the kit lens (generally the APS -C) lenses are crap; the reason is to keep down the cost, but this results in a crap lens and not-so-good photos - focus, sharpness, contrast etc. I would suggest looking for a second-hand lens, e.g. Sigma, Tokina, Canon, etc. (These lenses do a Canon mount.)

The result of your less is not so much a focus pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image is much too small to evaluate properly. Upload here in full size to receive useful feedback.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is underexposed in the shadows and not sharp enough. I should be able to read that sign on the wall, but it's too blurry.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... what about this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The building on the left and the brick wall with the entrance way are leaning. This can often be fixed with Photoshop's Distort tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice subject but it's poorly lit and leaning.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MooreStuff ,

There is a white balance issue. The photo has a blue cast. When zoomed a purple color fringing is slightly visible around the bricks. Also exposure is out as mentioned earlier.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1711735178316.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have several major issues in that image, including missing sharpness (which may be related to the used lens) and chromatic aberration:

Abambo_0-1711748289594.png

This is a screenshot at 100% and should be crisp sharp! The Arrow points to the chromatic aberration. The asset also misses contrast. Looking at the histogram shows that:

Abambo_2-1711748504675.png

You see to the left missing blacks, to the right a bigger junk of missing whites.

Here are my parameters, that I would apply (more or less) to an image like this:

Abambo_3-1711749029151.png

The paved floor (arrow) still requires a separate colour correction.

As for your Camera settings:

Abambo_4-1711749285697.png

1. The lens is indeed one of the weaker Canon lenses. It's fine for training, but it tends to chromatic aberration and missing sharpness, especially, when full open like here (f 4.5).

2) You should start to shoot without the nice programs and train you to manual settings. If I remember well, the action programs only shoot JPEG, that limits your options when editing later on. ISO 250 is borderline for noise in this camera. You can shoot well above that setting, but stock asks for nearly noise free assets. The Exposure at 1/500s is faster than needed. If you lower the ISO and modify the opening, the lens will get sharper and the DOF will be higher.

3) It's irrelevant and will not lead to a refusal, but you should set the “resolution” (it's the wrong term used here by Photoshop, pixel density would be better) to 300 ppi. The image won't get better, having more pixels etc, but you would avoid discussions with some people.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this indept review and critique. I appreciate the explanations you've given and will look into getting back to my lessions..... I needed that! Thanks @Abambo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

One thing you need to bear in mind regarding your lenses (I'm going to assume it's a kit lens that comes with the camera) is that most unfortunately, the kit lens (generally the APS -C) lenses are crap; the reason is to keep down the cost, but this results in a crap lens and not-so-good photos - focus, sharpness, contrast etc. I would suggest looking for a second-hand lens, e.g. Sigma, Tokina, Canon, etc. (These lenses do a Canon mount.)

The result of your less is not so much a focus problem, but rather the sharpness of the lens. And therefore you will run into quality issues. @Abambo made some good points!

Have a read of this. It's a brief guide on quality:
https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html

And:

User guide:
https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html
Exposure:
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/discover/exposure-in-photography.html
Composition:
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/discover/photo-composition.html
Learn and support:
https://helpx.adobe.com/support/stock-contributor.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to stay with cheaper lenses, look into prime lenses. It's more complicated as you can't zoom in, but the sharpness gain is considerable. Even the $100 (new price) 50 mm f1.8 pancake lens is great, compared to your EF-S18-55 kit lens.

Used lenses are generally an excellent choice, as lenses do age very slowly. They only get in trouble when you mount them on the very newest high-resolution cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines