Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Technical Issues - critique please :)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm incredibly new to stock photography but have played around with photography over the years. Attached is a photo which was recently not accepted due to technical issues. Is anyone able to provide feedback on what these issues might be so I can work on them?

My first thoughts are:

- composition not quite centred

- vibrancy/colour is a bit soft

This was taken with a Canon Rebel T3, 50mm lense shot in JPG and edited in Lightroom. It's very close to the original. I'm definitely a novice to editing so I may have done something incorrectly so any (kind) feedback is appreciated! 🙂

Thank you!

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

I find that it is not well focused. Zoom in to 100% and you will see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

First: your pictures need to be well focussed. You can't save a photo that is out of focus like this one.

Other defects are:

• Chromatic aberration: you need to correct that in Lightroom.
  • Missing blacks. Because the blacks (left part of the histogram) are missing, the picture is missing contrast.
  • You could have added a pint of vibrancy.
  • Your white balance is slightly to cool, giving a bluish tint to what should be a nice green.

You should always check the focus of your pictures in-camera, as t

Votes

Translate

Translate

@justsarah_._ In addition to the other critiques you've received, I'd like to mention that it's not ideal to shoot and edit only JPG photos. Your camera offers two file types, JPG and RAW. There is likely a setting that allows you to capture both JPG and RAW at the same time which takes up more disk space but is often worth the flexibility. Working with RAW files will prevent the destructive compression that happens with JPGS. Learning the RAW conversion tools for post processing will vastly imp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that it is not well focused. Zoom in to 100% and you will see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First: your pictures need to be well focussed. You can't save a photo that is out of focus like this one.

Other defects are:

• Chromatic aberration: you need to correct that in Lightroom.
  • Missing blacks. Because the blacks (left part of the histogram) are missing, the picture is missing contrast.
  • You could have added a pint of vibrancy.
  • Your white balance is slightly to cool, giving a bluish tint to what should be a nice green.

You should always check the focus of your pictures in-camera, as that is the single most important point that can't be corrected afterwards. Keeping an eye on the histogram may help to catch exposure problems. Just to say: your picture is well exposed, the adaptions needed are probably minimal. But looking at the camera screen alone does not give a good impression on the correct exposure.

As you have Lightroom (Cloud based or Lightroom classic?) at your disposal, I strongly recommend you to shoot in raw.

BTW: the information you gave us is incorrect. You used for this picture a Pentax X-5.

If you are new to stock, you should consider these resources: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/tutorials.html
Please read the contributor user manual for more information on Adobe stock contributions: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html
See here for rejection reasons: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html
and especially quality and technical issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedback, much appreciated. Well spotted re: camera, this was taken quite a few years ago and I thought it was my Canon because of the location (working on cataloguing them correctly).

Using LR Classic, I've only recently downloaded it and started using.

Thank you for the resources, I'll start with them 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @justsarah_._ ,

My eyes were directed to the water droplets, particularly the large one, hence I assume that was your subject. Therefore your major problem here is white balance. The capture is too blue. When you're correcting it pay attention to the edge of the water droplets to make sure there is no fringing.

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1630592371102.png

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you for the feedback. I was struggling to get the white balance and colours right (found the whites were blowing out too much).

I have since learned about chromatic aberration so I'll be doing research on how to correct that as well.

Thank you for your advice 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@justsarah_._ In addition to the other critiques you've received, I'd like to mention that it's not ideal to shoot and edit only JPG photos. Your camera offers two file types, JPG and RAW. There is likely a setting that allows you to capture both JPG and RAW at the same time which takes up more disk space but is often worth the flexibility. Working with RAW files will prevent the destructive compression that happens with JPGS. Learning the RAW conversion tools for post processing will vastly improve your images. Keep shooting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I've heard about RAW files but haven't played around with them very much. When I did, I had an issue with my memory card so have avoided it since 😂 I'll be sure to try again going forward.

Thank you! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw files need much more space than JPEG files. With your Rebel, I would guess around 14Mb per image, instead of 1 to 2 per JPEG file. You will, however, have later in LrC more control over all parameters, and you may correct decisions that your camera took automatically, for example with the white balance, sharpening, … JPEG compression is a lossy compression that is great for the final output, but never for the intermediate storage before editing. My workflow (and I suppose most of our peers) is “shoot raw → develop in LrC or Lr or a different program → Photoshop in TIFF or PSD if needed → export to JPEG”.

Some parameters can't be corrected, however: out of focus images, over exposed and highly under exposed pictures, bad decisions for timing and opening, camera shake…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! I have no affiliation with Western Digital but I've had fantastic results with their SanDisk memory cards and cards I bought 15 years ago still read and write flawlessly. Be sure to always carry at least two cards and swap them out in the field for each situation if you aren't capturing or writing to a hard drive simultaneously. I recommend trying the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SD Cards for your camera. Come back and let us know how it goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I think about it, I also have exclusively SanDisk cards. As for the size, I recommend the biggest your camera support, and you can afford. When I started with digital photography, I was very much on the secure side, buying many smaller cards to change when full. Now I have only 2 cards (my camera uses 2 cards) and I write on both simultaneously, but I never needed the back-up.

What you should avoid are no name cards from Chinese suppliers, and cards that look like named cards but aren't. If the price is unrealistic, it may well be a falsified card…

Your Rebel does great raw files, 128Gb will be a never-full card…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines