Copied

rose bud and full bloom flower.JPG

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice picture. Did you look at your histogram?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Not after I brought it into photoshop to edit to my liking.  I was trying to isolate the rose bud with the full bloom so maybe most of the picture is to dark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's what I think that the moderator thought. Sometimes I have the impression that moderators look only at the histogram. I have pictures taken with exactly the same lightning conditions. Some turned down because of exposure, some other accepted.

But for your picture, I think that the bg is a little too dark. If you have the picture in raw, you could tweak the parameters and submit again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your input.

I am a new contributor and still learning what works and doesn't work seems there is no rhyme or reason to what gets rejected. I just had another photo approved that is quite a bit darker then this one.

Just a little confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think with this one, is that the exposure is a bit too 'muddy' - you don't have enough contrast. This is where using curves can be a great help. You can tweek the tone curve more than just using the expsoure slider in Lightroom for example or in Photoshop using the curves adjustment layer or using Camera Raw Filter if you didn't take this in raw.

The rejections may seem a bit arbituary, but, I still think they have their reasons and it's not willy nilly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very adept in camera raw and photoshop  very familiar with curves and levels.

You may be right about a curves adjustment but as far as bg I wanted to show the other flowers just to give place to the photo

that may not be the way to go here.

Thanks for your input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have pictures refused while others are accepted and I did not change the settings. There is also a bunch of personal appreciation in the refusal procedure. They are humans reviewing the pictures anyhow. There is always the chance to get an image accepted and if you resubmit after deleting, it gets refused. We also do what I would say is qualified guessworking.

Most of the time, refusals we see here are quite evident: logos, artefacts, noise, over exposed, underexposed.... But sometimes it's difficult, because the image could also be a pass. Modify the way ricky336 did and resubmit. See if it passes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the out of focus flowers could be somewhat distracting - hence trying to clone them out uisng content aware filter - works well with images like this. Curves are a great tool to use in conjuction with the other tools!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think here, using curves would be best - increasing the mid tones a bit and darking the blacks  - aiming for a S shaped curve - this would darken the background.

Also removing the out of focus roses, so the background is clear:

rose+bud+and+full+bloom+flower_curves.jpg

Just to give you an idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines