• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe stock for book cover

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I use a stock photo with the standard license for a book cover?  Also, can I modify the image, add words, lighten or darken it, etc?

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

First of all, you may modify stock images to your needs. There are only few limits laid out in the licensing terms. One limitation is highly er0tic art, generally anything where the peple on the picture are represented in a way that the dignity of them may be hurt heavily.

Second as the book cover is not the main incentive to buy the book and as long as your print run (both paper and digital) stays below 500k, you are good with a standard license.

see here for more information: https://stock.adobe.com/license-terms

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, you may modify stock images to your needs. There are only few limits laid out in the licensing terms. One limitation is highly er0tic art, generally anything where the peple on the picture are represented in a way that the dignity of them may be hurt heavily.

Second as the book cover is not the main incentive to buy the book and as long as your print run (both paper and digital) stays below 500k, you are good with a standard license.

see here for more information: https://stock.adobe.com/license-terms

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a graphic designer. When I design a book for a client and they are self publishing should I

license the image or have the client license the image under their own name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can license, or the customer can license. It's the same effect. You will need to relicense for a different customer or even the own need, if the same asset will be used again.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started