• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI Generated Artwork

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm growing concerned about the recent influx of AI generated artwork that is being uploaded to Adobe Stock Images as licenseable assets. There seems to be a great many of them, and the copyright concerns for artists purchasing licenses to use these images commercially is worrisome. I believe that AI generated artwork is not copyrightable, so how are these images being permitted to be licensed for commercial use? 

TOPICS
Asset Quality , Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you make think that AI-generated assets are not copyrightable? And even if it is not copyrightable, why should it not have its place in an Adobe stock database, if it fulfills all the criteria that are needed to be entered here? Even artwork, that is not copyrightable, or that copyright is in the public domain, can be used commercially.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a graphic designer, who specializes in photo manipulation for book cover art, the idea that I could accidentally pay for, and then download an asset that could essentially be copied and used by anyone, anywhere for any reason (due to the inability to copyright AI artwork) and accidentally sell it professionally (as part of a new and complete artwork) to someone who is paying me for a one-of-a-kind piece.... it is worrisome.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can read, some people disagree with this ruling. I'm also sceptical. I, the human, still need to parameter the AI so that the AI creates a result as I intend. But I'm not a lawyer. Besides these legal issues, if you can find an asset in the public domain somewhere, you can use it, if it is AI generated or not. If you use a copyrighted asset, it could get expensive. At some stage, there is added value if you use a database like Adobe stock.

As soon as you modify an asset, copyright get complicated. You own the modification part, if it is not simply cropping or leveling. Your customer pays you for those modifications, not for the initial assets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you're getting it off of Adobe stock? How work that comes from Adobe stock considered one of a kind and original? Anyone can download and use these? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any stock asset you download from Adobe stock is copyrighted. Yes, if you buy a licence and download the asset, you can use that, accordingly to the licence. The copyright does not stop to exist, when you are allowed to use the asset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just come across this and would be interested in what the United Kingdom's take is on this. 

U.S. Copyright Office Rules don't apply to those of us originating copyright material of any sort in the UK.

Someone has to have originated the program that makes the AI work therefore isn't any work it makes protected as part of the intellectual property that makes the AI happen/work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Different countries have different copyright laws.  See this discussion for more on that.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock-discussions/how-to-avoid-ai-art/m-p/13213896

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this years' Adobe MAX conference, Adobe announced efforts to bring generative AI technology to Adobe products beginning with Photoshop and Adobe Express.  You can read more about it below.

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2022/10/18/bringing-next-wave-ai-creative-cloud

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started