• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open ai file

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My account was just transferred over from Fotolia, and I tried to download a file that I licensed.  It is an "ai" file which is new to me, and I cannot open it.  I tried Photoshop Elements, and I tried downloading it twice with the same results.  Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Hi Louise,

We have checked the file at our end and did not encounter any issues with the file. Since the above-file is a vector file, it will work the best with Illustrator, so I would suggest you to open it with Illustrator, not with Photoshop since Photoshop doesn’t manage vectors properly(in Photoshop the Ai file becomes rasters).

However, if you do not have Illustrator, rather than subscribing the app you can always use the 7 day trial version(in order to use the vector file you have downloade

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Louise,

Sorry to hear that you are facing issues with Adobe Stock services.

Can you please share the file ID with which you are facing troubles with so that we can further assist you?

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobeStock_55699857.ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Louise,

We have checked the file at our end and did not encounter any issues with the file. Since the above-file is a vector file, it will work the best with Illustrator, so I would suggest you to open it with Illustrator, not with Photoshop since Photoshop doesn’t manage vectors properly(in Photoshop the Ai file becomes rasters).

However, if you do not have Illustrator, rather than subscribing the app you can always use the 7 day trial version(in order to use the vector file you have downloaded from Adobe Stock).

You may use this link to download the trial version of Illustrator: Download a free trial or buy Adobe products | Adobe free trials & downloads

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello L. H.,

.ai files can be opened in Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have either of those programs.  Adobe Stock will be of no use to me if I must have those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I cannot open the AdobeStock_270249950.ai on my mac. Not any Program will open this pic. I have no chance with gimp etc. and it's not possible to konvert it in png.

Can you help me, please?

Regards,
Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been said above that you need Photoshop or Illustrator to work with AI files. Which of these do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of both, I just work with Gimp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you have purchased something you cannot use. Gimp is an image editor only, so only purchase PNG or JPEG stock work. AI is for people wanting a scalable vector they can use at any size, or edit as vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. Gimp can open ai files.

I was able to manage it with an example file from Adobe itself

Yet i cannot open the adobe stock ai files and get an unknown file error.

I can change the file type to .eps - it opens in gimp. But only as a large image (i want to use a icon set).

Disappointing. Anyone got any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. Gimp can open ai files.

By @paulw56411348

That does not work consistently for all Illustrator files. You can download the asset as JPEG. If that does not give you the required quality, you will need to use Adobe Illustrator for this. That's what the characters "ai" stand for: Adobe Illustrator.

Nb. some, but not all Illustrator files, can be opened with Acrobat or any other PDF Reader. Some, but not all Illustrator files, open as EPS file. Both are mutually exclusive, and some Illustrator files do only open with Adobe Illustrator. The creator (stock contributor here) decides on these parameters when saving the Illustrator file.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good clarification. Thank you. Didn´t know that.

I would not mind working with JPEG in general. But what should i do with an Icon Set. 10-30 minimal icons on one sheet. In AI i can export them as svg ... png ... by selecting them. But as JPEG it´s cut´n save nightmare. I´d love to be able to download a set of svg as a third alternative to ai and jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A one time solution would be taking the 7 day AI test subscription and cancelling after having saved the asset in the format you want at the size you need.

(Don't however forget to cancel, and this works once per major version, if I'm correct).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started