• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clear answer on transferring images to client

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've looked through the forums but I am still unclear. This is an issue that has come up for me several times recently, and I'm guessing it comes up for other designers as well. If I license an image to use in a brochure for a client, and they then ask me to send them that image so they can use it in other pieces (i.e. a web page or a display), is that allowed? And if so, do I have to do anything to physically transfer the license to them (like fill out a form)?

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Hi Kelly,

It simply means that you provide the image to your client (for whom you're licensing it from your Stock account) in such a way that he is not able to sell it any further in any manner and should be complying the same terms of use.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelly,

There is noway to transfer a license to any other person. If you license an image from Adobe Stock you can use it in any material for the client as per the License information and Terms of use | Adobe Stock but the rights still remain with you.

If your client is looking to use that image in some other work, they need to license the image separately.

Let me know if that clears the confusion.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.... that clears the confusion a bit, but why, then, is the statement below in the terms of use? Can you explain to me what this means? I am just trying to make sure I understand.

"You may use the license granted in these Terms for the benefit of one of your clients, provided that you transfer your license to your client, and your client must comply with these Terms. You are solely responsible and liable for

use of the Work by your employer or client."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelly,

It simply means that you provide the image to your client (for whom you're licensing it from your Stock account) in such a way that he is not able to sell it any further in any manner and should be complying the same terms of use.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sheena, I realise this is an old post, but I have the same issue. "in such a way that he is not able to sell it any further in any manner and should be complying the same terms of use." does this mean that as long as the client knows they can only use it on the one project I licensed the image on their behalf for, and don't distribute the images any further, and I don't use the image for any other client, it's ok to give them a copy of the image? what would that 'such a way' entail please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do more than one project for that client. Eg: You do an advert published in a magazine. The same advert, nicely adapted, will be used for a banner ad on the internet and the image will be used in an company internal communication. Those uses are all covered by the one time acquisition of the image license. Anyhow you transfer the image to the customer, the customer should not be able to use it in any manner outside of the license terms so the license terms the customer agrees on should be at least as stringent as Adobe's.

Next customer, same image you need to license again.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Abambo. So if I give the linked images to an indesign file I created for the clients (say, a brochure) to them to use on their website or some other purpose outside of the original brochure I designed for them, I can give them the downloaded images as is - they don't need a seperate license - however I need to purchase another license if use the same images for a different client. is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would transfer as less data as possible, also in your own interest. So if the customer wants to use the image on his website, transfer it optimized for that use. You and your customer need to be aware of the restrictions in the license terms! That's the most critical part of such operations, as most customers have rather wrong views on (c). Just to say, I've seen many PowerPoint presentations with the watermarks still on the images...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean for example you have created a website for a client and have used licensed images bought solely only for them to be used on their project and then later on they decide to run a email campaign for the website; could they still use those same set of images or would they need to get another license seperately

Kind regards

Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All licences can be used only with one client! The same client may have multiple uses of the same asset, but they still need to respect the licensing terms. If the terms require for the new use a new licence, you will need a new licence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started