• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am unable to open currency image in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased AdobeStock_83125385_WM for a brochure.

I cannot open it in photoshop.... I get the following error: This application does not support editing of banknote images....LOL

How am I supposed to use it if I can't open it???

Message was edited by moderator to better describe issue.

TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Hi Michael,

You cannot edit bank notes in Photoshop. It's illegal to do so. That's the reason you are getting that error message.

~ Arpit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Hi JH,

Manipulation of images with currency are restricted per CBCDG - Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group

The files can be used in InDesign and Illustrator because you cannot change the image. If you cannot use the image please provide the ID# and I will grant you a credit for it.

EBQ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

You cannot edit bank notes in Photoshop. It's illegal to do so. That's the reason you are getting that error message.

~ Arpit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought the image from Adobe. Perhaps you should not sell images that users cannot use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said, you cannot use it in Photoshop but can check the same with other third party apps.

~ Arpit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe is selling images that cannot be used in adobe products? Sounds kinda stupid to me.

In order to use images bought from adobe, I should download Gimp or Paint.net??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about any normal image, rather about manipulating bank notes which is not allowed as per Government Rules.

So, it's not allowed to do so in any applications, not only Photoshop. However, we have a check in place in Photoshop to check those things, not sure about other third party apps.

~ Arpit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that photoshop does not allow the manipulating of banknote images. What I don't understand is why Adobe is selling unusable images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't 'Adobe' that is selling them. It is the person/company that uploaded the image that is selling it. Adobe Stock is simply the marketplace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I had the same deal - download a damn image of a $10 bill about a 1/4 of it showing outside the back of a levi pocket - the absurd think is the image would be beyond in any way usable for counterfeiting purposed. Extraordinarily annoying and just destroyed this project. The image is worthless to me if I'm not able to convert it to cmyk or do any sort of photo manipulation. Following this same logic anything has even the tiniest 20x 20px image of a dollar would follow under this same rule. STUPID!!!!

If it was an image suitable to be graphics manipulated and possibly counterfeited be an entirely different story. The image I have is of a waded $10 bill with only a tiny portion showing out of a pocket, only 10% of the bill is even showing.

You ripped me off!! Have to be completely up front that the image wont be usable for print purposed of in any kind of layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the image number so it can be investigated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly, the image is "75487075".

Work in an in-house agency and we often use "money" images in the advertising, woman holding a $20, saving money in a piggy bank, stuff like that. It will really destroy a lot of our advertising method if none of these images are usable.

Read what little information they had on CBCDG - Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group and reached out to them as well with a link of this image. Think it is extraordinary over-reach. There is absolutely no-way this image would be possible used to counterfeit currency. Good grief!! I worked for the in security printing for several years, we were always trying to out best to stay one step ahead of counterfeiting - if you know anything about printing, graphic design you should well know you're not going to get there with an image like this. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi EST,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I am checking with our product manager regarding this image. I would expect that if we allow the image to be purchased that a customer would be allowed to open it in an Adobe product. I appreciate your patience while I investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with another Adobe Stock image I purchased: "Money Jar With White Label Isolated on White By Carolyn Franks."

Photoshop give me an error message "This application does not support the editing of banknote images."

I understand the anti-counterfeiting efforts, but this is a photo of crumpled up money in a glass jar, so I don't understand why Photoshop won't open the image.

Is there some way to get Photoshop to open this image?

WHY does Adobe Stock sell & license images that can't be used in Photoshop?

How can I get a refund for the image I purchased?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

P.S. The FAQs provided no help. A search through this Adobe forum revealed this same question being asked, going back to 2015... with no solution provided by Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JH,

Manipulation of images with currency are restricted per CBCDG - Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group

The files can be used in InDesign and Illustrator because you cannot change the image. If you cannot use the image please provide the ID# and I will grant you a credit for it.

EBQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe Adobe needs to either

1 ) add a "clearly" visible disclaimer on each image containing money which is protected by this "The Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group (CBCDG)" stating that the image CANNOT be manipulated for design or printing output and is LOCKED form any editing whatsoever.

- or -

2) Simply remove all cash related images from their website.

You should extend the courtesy to your customers to shop elsewhere for their designs resources if you cannot fulfill their needs.

For anyone who's interested, here's the deal on the "CBCDG" and Adobe here Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group - Wikipedia

Guess the person to really talk to is this guy Steven Murdoch - Wikipedia  - let him know that as far as counterfeiting goes, you can't much get a graphic image suitable for creating a reproduction of a bill with the watermark from a waded up dollar in a glass jar with a bunch of coins and maybe explain to him a bit about printing and graphic design. Nothing apparently will be done unless we (as designers and photographers) do something about it. Adobe isn't listening to us about our needs. : /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please review: https://www.uscurrency.gov/currency-image-use?utm_source=central-bank-site&utm_medium=central-bank&u...

Images of currency can be used in InDesign and Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit these images in Camera RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ElitaSue is right on the money. All photos Adobe Stock is licensing that include any currency should be marked with an important "can NOT be edited" warning. Repeatedly posting a link to the currency image restrictions is NOT helpful. In fact, it's really annoying!

I was able to use the photo by opening it in illustrator, making some edits, saving as an .ai file and then opening that version in Photoshop. That wasted a lot of time.

Adobe needs to treat its customers better than this.

Are there other Adobe Stock photos can't be opened in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is very ridiculous that you can't use an Adobe Stock image that was APPROVED by them to display and be sold in their marketplace.  This is the first time I have ever ran into this issue, bought an image of some folded money in a collection plate to be a background for a charity website in the donation area and have to use a work around in order to use it ...  Stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started