• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Logos are not to be used as logos

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I purchased Illustrator after calling and speaking with a representative about ability to make a logo from editing a stock photo or using certain layers from a stock photo to put on my business building and website. The person I spoke with said I would be able to do this by purchasing the proper license from the stock photo I wished to edit. She walked me though it step by step and even said the photo is then not available to others after my purchase and is mine. Come to find out that's not true at all. If I would have known this I wouldn't have wasted money on Illustrator. I called the representative to get clarification prior to my purchase to be sure and was completely mislead. There are other drawing/paint programs available that cost a fraction of the price. I went with Adobe because there was a specific logo stock photo in which I wanted to use a flower from. If you can't even use these logo photos as your own or license them to your business, what is the point in selling extended licenses? Why even advertise logo photos? What else would someone want a logo for if not to brand something or copyright it? Typically people use logos to identify their business, organization or item... In fact that's the definition of a logo.. If you plan to temporarily use the photo you purchased (maybe for some flyers or invitations etc.) then maybe it's a good option. But if you plan to make an image as your own, don't bother, you can't. They sell logo photos not to be used as logos... SMH   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Hi @brandy5F98 ,

I have 2 advices:

• Hire a professional to make you your logo. There are talented people out who can do that. Creating a logo is not an easy task and you can easily loose you in a design that is not practical, readable or beautiful.
    You probably wouldn't buy a toolbox and some screws to build your car, if you are not an engineer who knows what he's doing. It's the same with logo design. And even if you know how to cook, sometimes you love going to the restaurant and let the chef

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most stock photo licensing terms state exactly that. And so does Adobe Stock. A quick Google search revealed this: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/help/usage-licensing.html

Also: You can license Adobe Stock material without having Adobe Creative Cloud. You can buy Credit Packs are subscribe just to Adobe Stock.

Which representative told you otherwise? Adobe staff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it was an Adobe staff member. Figured I could get clarification by calling, but next time I'll just Google it myself and not trust coustomer service. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think perhaps you misunderstood what the rep was telling you.  Illustrator is a desktop application used to create or modify vector graphic artwork.  

An exclusive license to use a Stock image is something entirely different. 

No stock image from any company can be trademarked as is.  That's not what stock images are used for.  However, you can modify a stock image or extract parts of it and composite that with other elements to create something uniquely your own which can then be trademarked.  Or if you have the budget, you can take your inspiration piece to a design agency and have them create a custom logo & branding for you.   Your choice.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you contact this rep? Was it through the Adobe website? Was it chat or phone? Did you make your purchase through Adobe Stock?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @brandy5F98 ,

I have 2 advices:

• Hire a professional to make you your logo. There are talented people out who can do that. Creating a logo is not an easy task and you can easily loose you in a design that is not practical, readable or beautiful.
    You probably wouldn't buy a toolbox and some screws to build your car, if you are not an engineer who knows what he's doing. It's the same with logo design. And even if you know how to cook, sometimes you love going to the restaurant and let the chef design a tasty plate for you.
  • Contact Adobe Customer service and ask for cancellation of the subscriptions. Adobe customer care can be contacted here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html - click the small callout at the lower right of the screen and type "agent".

As a matter of fact, no stock provider does give you exclusive rights to an asset you buy. So the assets can't be used as an exclusive logo, even if they are called logo.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started