• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing unlicensed stock photography in a portfolio

New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to read this question. I am a graphic designer who competes regularly on 99Designs. Adobe Stock and 99Designs have an agreement that allows the use of unlicensed stock photography in layouts with the understanding that winning layouts will purchase/license the stock photography used. However, it often happens that good designs are rejected on 99Designs. Those rejected designs are still useful to designers in their portfolios. My question is whether it is allowed to use unlicensed stock photography that is part of a layout when used in a personal portfolio?

TOPICS
Licensing , Terms of use

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is a misconception in your terminology. There is no "unlicensed" asset. All assets, even the previews, are licensed under a licensing agreement. The licensing agreement enumerates what you are allowed to do and what you aren't.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer:  No. 

You may not use another artist's assets to promote yourself unless you purchase a license to use the image.  And you can NEVER use another artists assets and claim it as your own.  That would be a violation of intellectual property rights.

When you create original artwork or photography entirely yourself, of course you may use it anyway you wish.

Does that answer your question?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Nancy. I have contacted 99Designs and asked them the same question. They are comfortable with the idea of using previews in a composite layout and then showing that layout in a portfolio attached to their platform as long as the designer has declared the usage of the stock image properly. All of this without licencing the stock images. I am still trying to find out from Adobe what exactly 'proper declaration of stock' means.

For what it's worth, I have no intention of taking credit for someone else's work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Nancy. I have contacted 99Designs and asked them the same question. They are comfortable with the idea of using previews in a composite layout and then showing that layout in a portfolio attached to their platform as long as the designer has declared the usage of the stock image properly. All of this without licencing the stock images. I am still trying to find out from Adobe what exactly 'proper declaration of stock' means.

For what it's worth, I have no intention of taking credit for someone else's work!

By @Kakie

Look into my links:

Abambo_0-1652209825236.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Abambo. Crystal clear. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started