• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Standard License Terms - for multiple game assets.

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a mini-game project for a client (not a free game, but a small game) where I will need multiple small assets. Rocks, textures, grass, flowers, trees, isometric buildings..... a huge amount of assets. I am going to buy some animations from other sites also.

The issue is - if I buy so many assets with an Extended license each, which is required for a final work that will sale, it will be a bankruptcy, no one will pay me this, it will get bigger than the budget for the entire game.

My question is, why with a Standard license it is not allowed to use separate assets for commercial projects, which do not have big distribution. No one of these many licensed assets will not be the main value of the final work.

It is not the same like to buy a complete design for a poster or a t-shirt, where the complete design is the MAIN VALUE and is used unchanged for a commercial distribution. I understand that in such case an Extended license is needed.

But how to buy only a piece of rope for 64Euro Extended license, or a piece of rock, some grass, a piece of wood, one small butterfly - multiple and multiple assets 64 Euro each.

I needed to start this discussion because I think Adobe Stock is missing this moment, and I guess many people are in the same situation.

I talked with Adobe help account and the guy just confirmed what is written - I need an Extended license. I am not satisfied with this and I decided to ask and I hope to hear more opinions here, including from Adobe moderator.

I checked the terms in other stock websites and some are more flexible.

How does it sound if:

Creation of Items for Resale or Items for Free Distribution where the File plays a minor role in the item - Allowed.

I think that separate items, which are not complete compositions and which are not model images but are just separate pieces and are used from designers as assets in their compositions, games or interfaces, better be in a category where they can be used in final works allowed for sale. Same if you buy separate buttons, signs or whatever piece and not an entire UI pack. Or at least the stock artists to have the right to choose that with opt-in allowed for a commercial use by default for such items.

What do you think?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for reaching out to the Adobe Stock community.

I understand that you require several images from Adobe Stock for small games project(which is intended to use commercially), in this scenario a safer or a wiser approach will be combine all the images licensed from Adobe Stock and modify them accordingly so that you can use a Standard license.

Note: If you use the assets individually(for example- the entire image from Adobe Stock without any modifications) for your project which yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for reaching out to the Adobe Stock community.

I understand that you require several images from Adobe Stock for small games project(which is intended to use commercially), in this scenario a safer or a wiser approach will be combine all the images licensed from Adobe Stock and modify them accordingly so that you can use a Standard license.

Note: If you use the assets individually(for example- the entire image from Adobe Stock without any modifications) for your project which you are creating, you will require an Extended license.

Also, as you have mentioned that you will be requiring these assets for your client, I would suggest you to transfer the license to their name. If you want to use the same asset for different clients, the asset must be licensed separately for each client use.

Please refer https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Additional_Terms_en_US... Section 3.4 (a).

Additionally, thanks for sharing your feedback on Adobe Stock licensing terms. I will definitely pass this on to the concerned team

Hope this information helps!

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started