• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Painter keeps crashing on launch

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried using substance painter after several months and the software keeps crashing on launch. The launch screen appears for 2-3 seconds and then disappears away. I've tried all the fixes posted in the old articles, nothing has worked for me. I've tried reinstalling the application and tried using the older versions as well but the same problem persists. Can I please get some fix for this please?

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sending me your log, so I may take a closer look? You will find it under:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\Adobe Substance 3D Painter

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, I've attached the log. Thanks Cyril 

Log.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the log.

I advise you to set the preferred graphic in the NVIDIA control panel? For a reason, it seems Substance 3D Painter doesn't use the RTX 2070.

• Open the NVIDIA Control Panel application
  • Navigate to Manage 3D settings
  • Select the Program Settings tab

• Under Select a program to customize option locate Adobe Substance 3D Painterin the list.
    • If Painter does not appear in the list by default press the Add button to locate the installed software
  • Select the high performance NVIDIA processor as the option for preferred graphics program for Painter

Let me know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the fix. I've already tried it, it didn't help :(. I've attached a screenshot for the same.Nvidia_Settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Harsh_ashara,

I'm gonna check with the team what could be causing the crash.

In the meantime, I've seen a similar isssue on reddit. To be honest, considering your log this doesn't look like the exact same problem, and it has probably been fixed since, but it is still worth a try.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cyril, Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not seeing any additional dialog box open up to send the crash report for either painter or stager. Stager stays frozen on the launch screen until I shut it off through the task manager and painter shuts down automatically after 2-3 seconds without showing any option to send the crash report. Also, I've reinstalled windows 11 on my system a few days back since I upgraded my hardware, is it possible that this is happening due to some windows 11 problem? I've got the latest windows update done as well though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I doubt this is related to Windows 11. There's definitely an issue with the GPU, and Substance doesn't seem to take it into account. As we're checking on our end, I advise you to ensure that the GPU driver is updated. Also, here's a list of all the software that can create conflicts with the application (it's definitely worth taking a look).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cyril, I've reviewed the software conflict applications again. The GPU is also updated to the latest studio version. Still the same issue. Hoping that the team come up with a fix soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Harsh_ashara 

When you update to the most recent Studio driver, did you choose advanced options and 'Clean Install' in the NVidia driver installation. If not, try again with those options as the clean install option will ensure any older driver remnants are overwritten rather than carried forward.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm Thanks for the suggestion. I tried reinstalling the Nvidia drivers using clean install but it still didn't work. Its just very strange, I tried using substance designer as well it works perfectly fine alongside substance modeler. However substance painter and stager aren't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cyril Dellenbach hello! I have the same issue with rtx4060. Here is the log. None of your advices helped me. Any updates?

Anna25733390tmg4_0-1699398695182.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Harsh_ashara, Hello @Anna25733390tmg4,

Sorry for the delay in response.

After discussions with the team, we're pretty sure the first assumption is the right one: an issue with the GPU driver.

Therefore, I advise you to also set which GPU is used for the application through the Windows Parameters.

In addition, a clean uninstallation of the drivers with DDU may be necessary.

Keep me posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cyril, Thanks for sharing the fix. I tried both the fixes, however it seems to only work with any one software painter or stager. If I have both the softwares just installed together on my system either one of them is not functioning properly. I tried uninstalling stager, then painter worked perfectly and vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had issues with opening latest Substance Painter on my computer. It seemed to work mid-December but would not open after multiple restarts uninstalls, reinstalls etc.  Could not figure it out. Had latest Nvidia drivers etc. Not sure if it's helpful but I did try opening the app as an administrator and for some reason that got past the roadblock and it opened

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've also been experiencing issues with Substance Painter Files. When I search for specific materials, the application would freeze and crash. This happened to me on two different files, the materials I was searching were for working fine before this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources