• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color-managed user channel are not considered as such by the interface

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we have been reporting me that there was a potential issue with custom user channel and color management. After investigation, I found out that indeed, there is a small bug on them.

issue 01

Color thumbnails in the interface do not pick up the view-transform change as the BaseColor does.

2023_02_01_194607_x.gif

issue02

(probably linked to issue01), the color picker window is displayed as it was a non-color-managed channel

2023_02_01_200133_x.gif

steps to reproduce

1. Open new project window and set any mesh
  2. Set the color-management for the project to OpenColorIO and ACES 1.2 for config
  3. Create the project
  4. In the created project, go to the Texture Set Settings tab and remove every channel except the BaseColor
  5. Add a new channel > user channels > User0
  6. Set that new channel to RGB32F and enable Color Channel
  7. Add a new fill layer
  8. In the 2 color slots of the 2 channels, enter the same value in the R-G-B sliders

Compare the 2 channels in the viewport and you would see they look different.

workaround

those issues are non-blocking cause you can still work around them, as long as you understand what is the issue. As the color-picker doesn't consider the custom channel color-managed, the values that we enter are interpreted as "raw", as if they were already encoded in the Working color space. This means that to get the same values as in the base color, we have to copy the values under the "Working color space" widget, and NOT the ones from the R-G-B sliders.

2023_02_01_203236_838x727.png

Additional Details

- Issue already reported in post https://community.adobe.com/t5/substance-3d-painter-bugs/color-management-not-working-on-user-channe...

- substance3dPainter version 8.2.0, Windows 10

Cheers.

Liam.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , Color Management

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I noticed that some of the new color management features in Substance 3D Painter 8.1.0 are not working as expected. In particular, the color shown in the color picker for a user channel doesn't match the color in the viewport, regardless of the color matching profile being used.

To reproduce:

1.  Create a new project with any FBX file. I have been able to reproduce this with Legacy and OpenColorIO color management.
  2.  To simplify things, remove all channels from the texture set, except for "Base Color", which is left as sRGB8 (color)
  3.  Add a new channel to the texture set. Use User0, and set to sRGB8 (Color).
  4.  Create a fill layer, and set any two colors for "base" and "user0".
  5.  Notice that the color set in the picker for "base" always matches the one in the viewport, regardless of the color profile set. When the color profile is changed, the color in the picker as well as the viewport change accordingly.
  6.  Notice that the color set in the picker for "user0" does not match the one in the viewport. When the color profile is changed, the color in the viewport changes, but not the one in the picker.

I'm attaching a screenshot showingh the texture set settings, and the color on the picker not matching the one in the viewport for the "user0" channel.

color.png

I would say that Substance 3D Painter is not applying the color matching scheme to the picker, for user channels. This makes it impossible to work with custom shaders that heavily rely on user channels.

Please resolve this as soon as possible, as I'm not able to continue working with this issue, and there seems to be no way to revert to the older version, as it is not possible to open Painter 8 files with Painter 7.

Additional details:

App version: Substance 3D Painter, version 8.1.0 Build 1699 - b4e33ca4b292e7310f209de5ac2af417d86bc587

Platform and OS version: Windows 10 Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1706)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT, although I've also reproduced this on my laptop which as an nVidia GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have reported the same issue in this post :

https://community.adobe.com/t5/substance-3d-painter-bugs/color-managed-user-channel-are-not-consider...

I also provided a workaround to mitigate the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@panda_pajama I've merged your thread with an existing bug report thread on the same subject

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources