Exit

Wrap projection surface snapping no longer usable - very unstable

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Substance Painter 9.0.0 build 2585
2. Windows 10 Home
3. Set any fill layer to "Warp Projection" and start to use the surface snap feature
Observe that within 5-15 vert movements the app will suddenly crash without warning all data lost
Example vid: https://youtu.be/C2k7XmHsW7M
4. Expectation is to be able to move points around as many times as I want and to eventually save when the shape is in a state I like on the surface.  What happens now is app crash before and real art can even happen.
Exmaple vid: https://youtu.be/z8tfzP-8adE?t=2247

Wrap projection is still unstable when will you all please update this feature? It was never this unstable before all my graphics drivers and windows updates are current and this sudden crash still happens since 8.0.  I am on 9.0 and it persists

Below is a short screen grab of steps to reproduce and what happens each and every time I move the vertex points too many times without saving:
https://youtu.be/C2k7XmHsW7M

I used to be able to carve whole armor pieces out over hours long sessions without having to save once and not experience one crash ever over a 2K UDIM whole character model at that. Now I can barely get 5-10 movements over a single UV sheet sphere.  Its now totally unusable in this way. What happened....??

Here is video of how I used this in my work flow on an older version of substance, 7.0. Again, my GPU/CPU/RAM rig setup has not changed:

https://youtu.be/z8tfzP-8adE?t=2247

Please investigate why its so unstable now
This tool is absolutely critical to my texture work flow for some character skins

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

After discussion with the team, the input triggering the issue is a double click on a vertex. I was indeed able to reproduce the crash under these conditions, and the bug should be fix for next update. 

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Shinjitsu84,

Thanks for the report and all the details.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce the issue, no crashing on my side. Would you mind sending me your log (help>export log...), so I can have a better idea on what's happening? 

In the meantime, and as long as you have a Creative Cloud version of Substance 3D Painter, you can rollback to a previous version to check if the issue persists.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here is my log
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QWKfHCngJ29O7cHSYeXFkzL3eAIqutx3/view?usp=sharing

Im 200% sure the issue does not occur in any 7.X version of painter.  These crashes started to happen as soon as I upgraded to 8 and then 9.  Now a have a project arriving where its absolutely cirital for me to be on the latest version and still be able to use this tool.  Ill dual install a back version of painter 7.X and record and send to youtube if you need verification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried here and eventually after several movements of the vertices can replicate the application crash on v9.0.0 build 2585, Windows 11 RTX3090 Studio driver 531.61.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cyril Dellenbach Let me know if thats the correct log or if I have to go back an repo the crash because I can def repro the crash 100% without fail lol.  Its that bad.  I can't be the only one.

Im guessing Substance has scaled up a bit and runs a little heavy so that now these earlier RTX cards (in my case 3060) cant handle warp projection with surface snapping as well any more since Substance 8.0 and above.

@davescm Thank you for confirming.  Any idea how many vert movements you had to make before getting a crash?  It only takes mine about 5-15 or so before a definite catastrophic crash with no warning and all data lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @davescm, it's important to know it isn't an isolated case. Unfortunately, I'm still unable to reproduce, even after several minutes manipulating the vertices, the same driver as yours, and a similar config.

But obviously, the issue exists, so we'll only have to find what's triggering it. Could you indeed share the log after the crash? You'll find it under

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Adobe\Adobe Substance 3D Painter

I'll share this thread as well as the log with the rest of the team, and I'll keep you updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, here is another log of another crash I got minutes ago.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m26-qwMzcmYS6sNN0WI7MpPkBMk6EplC?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeated the crash this morning. It takes between 5 and 20 vert movements to crash.

Link to log file: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/ce70690f-76b3-495e-5ae9-51a9176720d5

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After discussion with the team, the input triggering the issue is a double click on a vertex. I was indeed able to reproduce the crash under these conditions, and the bug should be fix for next update. 

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solid, thank you all so much!  Any idea what the ETA is on the next update rollout?  Im not in trouble yet but I got some projects coming in hot and I would rather not try to ship work out in legacy substance as it will confuse the leads haha.  Please let me know any ball park date oh and how do I close a help ticket here, just check mark your resolution report as "Correct Answer" in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, I can't give you any ETA. Release dates are always complicated to share.

However, it shouldn't take too long. In the meantime, you'll have to be careful not double clicking on your vertices.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources