• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU rendering not available in Substance 3D Stager

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Substance 3D Stager has GPU rendering for Windows only, on supported NVIDIA cards.  

If the GPU rendering option is disabled while you are on a supported card, there are two things you can do:

• Update your video card drivers
  • If you're on a laptop that also includes an integrated card use the NVIDIA control panel application to set Stager to prefer your dedicated GPU instead of the integrated card.
Senior Product Manager, 3D & Immersive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance that there will be support for Metal on OSX ?

I find it personally a bit "annoying" how Nvidia focused the industy is, so AMD card will not work either 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are in discussions with AMD already to get that working as soon as possible and are discussing Metal architecture for OSX.  Our goal is to be hardware agnostic with feature parity - but Windows NVidia was the most ready for us to do first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope support for AMD will come soon, I just ran into the GPU not available problem which is a total bummer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeanette,

If you need a beta tester for M1 Mac testing of Substance3D stager and other apps I am available.

Regards

Ringo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, However I have a GTX 1650 and latest NVidia Studio Drivers that were released two days ago and still Stager is not enabling GPU. I did add the GPU snifer and Stager to use Nvidia instead of integrated Intel but no luck still.

Do I need to explicitly list the model in a configuration file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't tested on this card in particular.  It should support emulated ray tracing.  Can you please try opening Stager, then go to the Help > Get Logs menu item and gather the Stager.log file.  Once you have the file please email it to substance3d-bugs@adobe.com (do not share on forums as it may include personal information about your hardware and software setup).  If you can include the description that the GPU rendering isn't working for you in that email as well, we can follow up 1:1 to see what's happening with the engineering team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette

Thank you for the suggestion, I sent the bugs team an email.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanette, 

I have been facing the same issue. I started creating on Substance 3D Stager when in 2021 it was listed that it would support GTX 1650.

Seems like now it doesn't. Any fix for this plz?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sense I get from recent announcements is Adobe 3D will be incorporated into photoshop for use in firefly. They need their control net equivalent and 3d has been useful for control in generative AI. Doesn't mean they can't continue to work on it as a standalone but I'm sure that's a lot less important to Adobe right now. I'd still love to see a version of  stager that runs well on a new MacBook. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James, I think you have a misconception about how development works, and Adobe's different product lines.

The Substance 3D Suite is a product line with a long history, based on technology originally created by Allegorithmic, a company Adobe acquired in 2019. Allegorithmic was a market leader in the CGI and gaming industries through its "Substance" line of products, with a huge customer base among game devs and VFX artists. Following that acquisition, the Adobe Dimension team and the new Substance (Allegorithmic) team merged to form the "3D and Immersive" org within Adobe. The 3D market is something Adobe is investing in heavily.

The Photoshop team is part of a different group entirely. They announced more than a year ago that 3D is being phased out of Photoshop, with the reasons why. Follow the link to read the details. There would be no advantage to investing a huge amount of engineering time into a new 3D engine for Photoshop when Substance 3D Modeler and Painter already exist.

There is no news from the Stager team about when M1/M2 support will appear, but it's clear that the delay has nothing to do with Photoshop. If anything, it's down to a lack of resources on the Stager team, perhaps coupled with a comparatively small number of Mac users. Project Felix in 2016, was all about designers. That became Dimension, followed by Stager, and Adobe's focus shifted from designers (lllustrator and Photoshop users), about 50% of whom are on Mac OS, to 3D and CAD users, who are overwhelmingly on Windows. The percentage of designers who used Dimension was quite small, and I expect that's also the case with Stager. Whether that has anything to do with the delay is anyone's guess, but, again, that has nothing to do with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't Adobe show a screenshot of 3d models being dragged and dropped into photoshop for use in Firefly? That's all I'm referring to. My guess was that they're more interested in that than they are in their 3d suite, which despite what their investment in 3d is, seems pretty minimal, given you can't use Stager in any real way on a mac. Every single agency out there is Mac based; if you want anything to become industry standard you can't ignore that market, and Adobe knows that. My guess is that it's been earmarked for a slow death (see Photoshop 3D for a similar story arc). 

As for CAD and 3d users being the target for Subatance3D, that just sounds like pure fantasy. It's like MS Paint going after Adobe users. I certainly hope that's not their strategy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can surely drop .obj files into Photoshop. That still works, but 3D in Photoshop has always been a clumsy add-on, and many professional users I've talked to regard it as unnecessary bloat.

I think what you saw is an upcoming addition to Firefly (not Photoshop) that will allow creation of 3D images from text prompts. It isn't available in the beta yet, but you will be able to take those images into Photoshop, for sure. Generative Fill in Photoshop (also in beta) uses the same AI technology as Firefly, but Firefly is a separate service. Almost all of the recent development work in Photoshop involves AI-powered features like the Remove tool, Generative Fill, and neural filters.

The vast world of CGI, animation, game development, and VFX runs almost entirely on Windows and Linux. Big CGI and VFX titles, like Maya, 3DS Max, Unreal Engine, Unity, are not on Mac at all. AutoCAD has limited support for Mac. Solidworks, one of the most important engineering design apps, doesn't exist on Mac. Even in 2D design, the market is fairly evenly split between Mac and Windows, according to the polls Adobe used to do at the start of every webinar.

In the last few months, Adobe released Substance 3D Modeler, added Adobe Capture support for Substance 3D Sampler and has put out major upgrades to Painter, Sampler and Designer. There is no lack of development in the 3D space. Quite the opposite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Two days ago I was rendering by GPU (NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX2060 super) and was working perfect.

Suddenly yesterday started to face problems with the GPU, I don´t know why, but now GPU option is not available even. Driver version is STUDIO 471.41 (19/07/2021)...It could be previous driver was better?

I´ve tried to reinstall starger again, but looks like is not compatible with it nowCaptura.PNG.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed I would try rolling back to NVIDIA Studio Driver 471.11 - Release June 23, 2021.  This is the one that was specifically released with Stager and our most tested.  I'll flag the team to check the July 19th 471.41 driver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will and I´ll let you know something 🙂

By the way....Captura.PNG

I´ve tried this morning (here in Thailand) to render again one of my jobs, and that´s the message appears  😉

Thanks again,

Jorge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm.... Can you grab that Stager.log file and email it to Substance3D-bugs@adobe.com with a link to this forum message so we can see what's going on and follow up? 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I´m already in contact with Marco to check everything.

thanks one more time for your support JM 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same issue. Did you received any workaround  or solution? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BiancaBZN_0-1627492336498.png

Here is the solution, received from Marco and worked for me. Go to Nvidia Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings --> program settings --> add adobe substance on select a program to customize --> select high-performance nvidia processor. 

Solved my issue. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've been having the same issues as described above: both the grayed out 'render with GPU' option and the error popup when trying to render.

The following worked for me:

1. Firstly, I rolled back to NVIDIA Studio Driver 471.11 - Release June 23, 2021, as suggested above.
    >> This solved the grayed out 'render with GPU' button.
  2. But then, I started getting the GPU rendering error message. This happened a few times.
    BUT then, before hitting 'ok' to restart again, I noticed that the render progress (on the bottom right of the screen) was actually moving forward. So I let it finish, and only then hit 'ok'.
    >> The program restarted, and from then on I didn't receive any error anymore.

Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new here and having the same issue. Tried to do as you described, but couldn't find Adobe Substance anywhere on the list. Does it have something to do with the trial version? I mean, I just got my PC the other day, Nvidia RTX3070 card, and the Stager doesn't recognise it?! And got it specifically for Stager as I intend to use it for business. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: found the programme, but the option 2 from your screenshot doesn't exist on mine🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would appreciate some help with turning on the GPU rendering. I have done all the steps suggested here, and Stager still doesn't allow GPU rendering. I have just made a big investment in updating my technology so I can go back to doing interior design, buying the PC specifically for Stager, with the strongest GPU I can afford, that is Nvidia RTX 3070. 

Thank you so much for your help:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm excited for all of this. Any word on when Substance Stager will be available for M1 Macs? Also, I can't wait to start using Substance 3D Modeler. How long until 3D  Modeler becomes available to everyone? I understand it is currently in beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources