Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something we all can relate to.

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CzPJt_dUoAE3Ms0.jpg

We can make this a thread to post relevant cartoons, photo edits, memes and other assorted witticisms.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 732 Replies 732
Guide ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Fantastic photos! And a lot of patience plus some guts to get them, apparently.

As to the one I posted being Photoshopped or not, I don't know. It was just something I happened across on the internet. For myself, my last interaction with an actual camera was when I was about 12. And that was with, I believe, a Polaroid Land Camera (the old pull the blurry, wet photo right out of the camera gizmo). So I am no authority on the subject by anyone's  stretch of the imagination.

I do love a good photo, however. Thank you for sharing those.

--OB

Edit to add:

@ Gener7,

I never did get around to saying; that photo you posted earlier, the one from the National Geographic Competition, was utterly awesome! I could have lost a lot of money betting that it was either Photoshopped, or a full-on in-computer creation. Wow!

I had to look up the artist and photo online to find the location, and a better picture of that building in the background. Even a regular photo of that building is pretty unbelievable. But the juxtaposition with that street scene was brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now for something completely different...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imo the image needs some cheese on one scale Vs {insert something slime covered}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ralph, I'm think more in terms of this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OldBob1957  wrote

@ Gener7,

I never did get around to saying; that photo you posted earlier, the one from the National Geographic Competition, was utterly awesome! I could have lost a lot of money betting that it was either Photoshopped, or a full-on in-computer creation. Wow!

I had to look up the artist and photo online to find the location, and a better picture of that building in the background. Even a regular photo of that building is pretty unbelievable. But the juxtaposition with that street scene was brilliant!

Hi OB,  I meant to answer sooner, but I wanted to dig up this image from fantasy artist Simon Stalenhag. His combination of the ordinary and odd imposing industrial objects fascinate me and is the reason I like that National Geo photo.

Here's one of a ordinary motel with some imposing towers behind the building.

Simon Stålenhag on Twitter: "I only stay at Pacifica Golden… "

-4BnQbXxSJSO0UIOrEMISSWKqCp1sMehOuDaMmX2_m8.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the daleks are here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Uh...those giant towers in the back, are they dangerous?"

"Not at all. One more thing, sign this release form, and we'll get you to your room."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Gene. Those images are very disturbing. 

These last two  had the most impact on me.  This one because of all the heavy power cables going to the small houses...

..and this one because I can't see how they are anything but gun turrets.

The artist has a website and a Facebook page

Simon Stålenhag Art Gallery  (There a LOT of images here)

https://www.facebook.com/simonstalenhagofficial/

This is intriguing.  He has written some books that appear to be a dark kind of SiFi.  If they are in English, I'd like to get my hands on them.  I wonder if Dag knows of him?

http://frialigan.se/en/authors/simon-stalenhag-2/ 

Yes, they appear to be in English and available.  Has anyone actually read one of them?

http://frialigan.se/en/store/?product_id=86504210437

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got to look around at his art. I didn't know he has a Facebook page.

I didn't go through them long enough to figure out if the paintings are part of a story, but I traveled in an old car out in the American West, and there were some odd things out there. Dinosaur statues, a giant thermometer, and one place has half-buried cars.

So his paintings show a car going down the road among these hulking wrecks as if they were nothing special, just like that neighborhood in Hong-Kong accepts the curved towers looming next to them. That's what I like about this.

The towers with the immense amount of lines looks like they were modeled after an old Swedish Telco Tower. He makes them fit in. I guess my idea of Sci-Fi is bug-eyed monsters on other planets where we invade their world. This comes closer to industrial art.

This one had the hulking towers running ads. Safeway is a local supermarket chain.

by_belltowers_2880.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This starting to look more and more like a Blade Runner cityscape. Just add some flying cars and a giant hologram or two, and you are there, although Simon's art would still be darker.  It would be smart to sign him as a set designer for for a film noir project.  Those muted blues are way more effective than — as a for instance — the stark black, white and red of Sin City.

I've always liked the idea of doing a matte painting for video, and Simon's art would be perfect for that.

Image result for blade runner cityscape

We have a few oversized structures here in NZ.  I know of a few that are not in this list, and of the ones I have seen, like the big fish at Gore, it felt a lot bigger standing next to it than it looks in the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex is into the neon of night time cityscapes. I see he's done a few of Tokyo's busy districts...but I don't want to keep this thread stuck on CG scenery.

I'll just drop this one in from the jokes folder.

Middle Aged.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! More great art. I will have to look up that artist. If those pictures are part of a story, I might be interested.

Also, being one who enjoys reading history (weird, I know) I can relate to the middle-aged list too. Thanks for the laugh.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this one is appropriate.  An old UK buddy of mine who now lives in Canada, and has a collection of historic firearms, sent it to me. You shouldn't need to explain a gag, and my knowledge of firearms extends only to the little bit of research I do when one is named in a book I am reading, so I am guessing that Glocks are made of plastic, and 1911s aren't.  I also seem to remember reading that Glocks do not have a conventional safety mechanism, so fingers crossed that the dog did not manage to pull the trigger.

Glock.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

This one had the hulking towers running ads. Safeway is a local supermarket chain.

Gene, I almost mentioned that Safeway was taken over by Morrisons in the UK in 2013, but didn't.  Now tonight I am listening to Selling England By The Pound by Genesis, and thinking that the lyrics just wouldn't have worked with the new owners name.

I don't belong here, said old tessa out loud.
Easy, love, there's the safe way home.
Thankful for her fine fair discount, tess co-operates

Still alone in o-hell-o
See the deadly nightshade grow

English ribs of beef cut down to 47p lb
Peek Frean's family assorted from 17 1/2 to 12
Fairy liquid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those photographs look really amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These come from a Bored Panda thread entitled 'Idiot Dogs That Will Crack You Up'. The first one had me crying with laughter, so I had to share.

He was having so much fun playing with the lawn sprinkler, that he bought it in through the dog door so mum could play.

This water is not very thirst quenching

Water Shadow.gif

If only this fence was not there

Came Home And Found My Dog Waiting Like This

Can they see me? No, I'm sure they can't see me.

Well Hidden This One

This window is pretty boring, but mum is due home with the dog chow, and I don't want to miss her.

He Thinks This Painting Is A Window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best is watching the videos of kids trying to figure out rotary dial phones!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how many are here, but this one is for the Hunter S. Thompson fans among us.

Hunter-Cat.jpg

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never read the Hunter Thompson novel or even saw "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", but this one cat meme is a classic.

The "bats" are an imaginary result of the catnip. I'm reading a book about the Mojave desert which is between Las Vegas and Barstow and the area is high weirdness by itself.

c62.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that's advertising!

DBWEoI3UQAAlnhM.jpg orig.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

get.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dj2-1sdW4AEFTnm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OB These days when someone calls to tell me "it was a steal", I hope they are not telling me they are under arrest.

Anyone remember Pokemon GO?  Maybe this is why we haven't heard much about it lately.

DiukZUnWkAAnsSj.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier there was a series posted on design planning fails. Billboards might be more complicated since ads are posted months apart.

DjdueT1XsAEoZF8.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one actually got me to laugh out loud.

Picture (Device Independent Bitmap) 1.jpg

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines