• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering teaching GIMP to my daughter and some of her classmates and keeping PS in Virtualbox for the same reason.  Linux support is so simple today there really is no reason not to support it.  Gimp ports easily to any platform and is adequately robust and superior is some ways.  If PS were a native install we would subscribe simply to support progressive thinking software.  As it is open-source [think Android etc] is responding more quickly to consumers needs and desires [operating system support is a great example] so it makes more sense to direct students to platforms that do not only recognize "walled gardens."  Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot on.
Not only wrong, I was unaware of how much GIMP improved over the last 10 years. For example, I didn't know that Content Aware tool in PS originated from GIMP's Resynthesizer filter (installed separately but still free as a bird). The more I know the program, the more "a-ha!" moments there are and I'm already feeling at home. At the same time it is forever being free. How cool is that?

Cheers for your progressive thinking Steven and teaching the kids.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a Gimp user but I wonder if your history may not be a bit unclear on this. 
Content-Aware functionality in Photoshop goes a while back already and probably incorporates different approaches – at least I don’t immediately see how the seam-carving-approach behind Content-Aware-Scale would figure in Content-Aware-Fill. 
And Adobe would have to honor the patents that other software providers, even if it’s freeware, hold ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm no software historian by any means, but initial Resynthesizer version goes back to 2008 by Paul Harrison. It includes both content aware fill for restructuring transparency and non-transparent things. Google says Content aware fill was introduced in PS CS5 in April 2010.

Now this all is rather meaningless in 2020, but the whole point was that GIMP made a long way and had some neat things ahead of its time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That made me curious but a few sentences in on this 
https://patents.justia.com/patent/10332291
the curiosity waned ... and that was apparently filed 2017. 

In any case I am not trying to discourage anyone from using Gimp, a few years back we even had to use it to salvage a file that Photoshop could not edit anymore because of a curious, off-canvas pixel-limit violation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone , why do you not release any softwares under Linux?

Sorry I don't care Windows because I am very scared to Windows.  I am using since September 2018 with Ubuntu 18.04 and I cannot install Adobe software on wine because they are very sensitively. 

1. Please release softwares under Linux! I thought you don't want release softwares under Linux. I recommend you have experience of XLib/Gtk3/4
  2. We would love to test trail version or buy softwares under Linux.

Please stop use only Windows and macOS! We want Adobe's Developers should release under Linux.

I recommend you release installer of Adobe like VMWare's Installer.

If you don't worry about distros like Ubuntu, Mind, Solus, Redhat, OpenSuse or ArchLinux etc.

I hope you understand me.  Sorry my bad English!

• Best regards 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know there's actually no plan to support Linux. 

But: If it's so important for you the please post in Abobe's Bug-/Wishlist-Forum (https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html)  or like an existing entry.

This here is a public forum and not the support from Adobe. We are all normal users as you.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was first asked for on 8-29-2012 https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Creative-Cloud-for-Linux-Ubuntu/td-p/4407103

It has not happened in over 7 years... I don't work for Adobe, but I don't think it will ever happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alex_Matt: Thanks for moving my thread to wishforum - I will try out.

@John T Smith, it has problem with lonk looks like error page

Screenshot from 2020-02-24 20-04-55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the link I provided works just fine for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this meme says, I think you will be waiting for a long time and never get your wish.  

Designers like their Windows and Apple devices even if you don't.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

My technical friends who use Windows always have this as either their 1st or 2nd reason for staying on Windows:
Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, is this where all of the actual requests for this should be made? I've jumped around quite a bit of threads to find this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By all means add your vote, present your argument ... but be ready to accept it if Adobe marketing doesn’t change their position on this anytime soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ready for what? I already unsubscribed. There are plenty of fantastic photo software for Linux. Most are free. It's about how much time and resources you have to invest to learn something new. Further, it's so easy to reach devs and communicate with them directly about your wishes or issues you may have. They are more than eager to assist you.

My newest finding was Neat Image, professional noise reduction program, having a proper linux port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mc OS is just a Unix/Linux Distro they heavely locked down and started charging for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A decade ago, there were many issues that prevented this that are apparently no longer an issue.

1) Linux fragmentation (Ubuntu seems to have won by a huge margin if you include derivatives like Linux Mint)

2) Users hating proprietary software (the Linux ecosystem is now full of proprietary apps like Skype, Zoom, Spotify, Netflix, and people actually pay for subscriptions regardless of platform)

3) Difficulty of porting (Wine has improved a lot in the past decade that making PS work for Wine is much easier than porting the entire software from scratch to Linux; users won't mind PS being bundled with a copy of Wine that works with it)

4) Not enough market share (there are many Linux users who already dual-boot with Windows just to use Photoshop; these are obviously counted as Windows users in PS surveys, but they will likely to pay for a version that works on Linux to get rid of the need for dual booting)

5) Linux is not a "professional" platform (even Microsoft now supports Linux in WSL, DotNET, Visual Studio, etc)

Hence, I wish to revive this request. I know this was requested years ago but the situation has changed and perhaps it may be time for a reevaluation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the Money...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's an opportunity to make that change.

https://www.change.org/p/adobe-systems-make-adobe-cc-run-natively-on-linux-platforms

Please share if you care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's an opportunity to make that change.

https://www.change.org/p/adobe-systems-make-adobe-cc-run-natively-on-linux-platforms

Please share if you care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found - the installation package for Linux Fedora/Ubuntu/Arch:

https://github.com/Gictorbit/photoshopCClinux

Photoshop cc version 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work pretty well, I see on Youtube Video - some adjustment form Adobe, and perfect package for Fedora or Ubuntu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally getting somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next step - adobe, the developers' team.  Pick the script and put on the virtual machine for example Fedora - Install, test, and debug - if any error occurred, I presume prepper task board, make the task, solve one by one - several sprints - done, official Linux version of Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt Adobe reads these forums.

But with Apple's announcements about moving to ARM, I and I imagine many others are about to move to Linux over the next year or two. It's not tenable to stay in Apple's ecosystem as it becomes more and more closed with fewer and fewer options for power users.

I do not plan to use Windows.

I know my way around Linux very, very well, and use it for almost everything other than desktop applications. At my workplace, every but the marketing staff is Linux, and with the changes in Mac OS, well... You know what I'm about to say.

Adobe, we're paying customers. We'd love to continue paying Adobe for years to come. Otherwise, it's off to GIMP, RawTherapee/DarkTable, VivaDesigner, InkScape, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate