• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't we get rid of the stupid drop down menus at the top?

May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't we dump the drop down menus? Like back at the Web Crossing forums. they are always coming down with a mouseover and don't go away.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem here....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you mean like this?

Adobe Forums- Can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this:

Bloody pain in the fluffy kittens!

drop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my point exactly, i removed all that upper part as per my screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realised that!     You will notice I blocked some of the junk too.

But it shouldn't be our job to create a good browsing experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, it shouldn't, but i'm not going to wait until they fix the design of the forums, and besides, that upper part will never be removed by adobe (nor the footer which i also removed )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, it shouldn't, but i'm not going to wait until they fix the design of the forums,

I am... i'm not going to fiddle with it until we're told THEY'RE done fiddling with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the heck should we waste time messing with something that should work correctly? Sorry if the end user has to use a browser to hack a website so it becomes palatable or useable then something is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Actually, that's not a pain... (unless you've fiddled with something?) Reasons as follows:

1/ Every site has its main links on top (or wherever)

2/ The longest drop downs are Solutions and Products and, at the most, drop over only the first post

3/ Users might want to jump to another area directly from the forums

4/ I have never faced a problem... after all, you have to mouse over the menu to activate it, and there is no reason to do that if you are only following the forums. Even now, to test, i had to actively move to TOP to activate the drop down...

Didn't the earlier forums have the same thing?

Anyway, suggest that this is not a problem at all... but, because of all the other hassles, it's now being perceived as one...

Cheers,

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jhabrix wrote:

John Joslin wrote:

Actually, that's not a pain... (unless you've fiddled with something?) Reasons as follows:

1/ Every site has its main links on top (or wherever)

2/ The longest drop downs are Solutions and Products and, at the most, drop over only the first post

3/ Users might want to jump to another area directly from the forums

4/ I have never faced a problem... after all, you have to mouse over the menu to activate it, and there is no reason to do that if you are only following the forums. Even now, to test, i had to actively move to TOP to activate the drop down...

Didn't the earlier forums have the same thing?

Anyway, suggest that this is not a problem at all... but, because of all the other hassles, it's now being perceived as one...

Cheers,

JJ

That is a lot of rubbish as the stupid drop down menus were removed from the webcrossing forums because they were so irritating and we never had a problem navigating about the Adobe web site. Using a laptop the problem is even worse as there is less real estate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

That is a lot of rubbish as the stupid drop down menus were removed from the webcrossing forums because they were so irritating and we never had a problem navigating about the Adobe web site. Using a laptop the problem is even worse as there is less real estate.

I don't see the problem... if you don't mouse over the menus they don't drop down... as simple as that. And why you'd need to mouse over them i don't know. Even if you do, just mouse out... and the menus go back.There are a good 210 pixels between the bottom of the menu and the top of the subject header. Unless, as i said earlier, you've done something to your view so the menus are now too close. In which case the problem is with your view and not universal.

I think this is a non-issue. There are far more important things wrong than dropping menus because you keep hovering over them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem that i had with those was that i was middle clicking on a tab to close a thread and when i go back down to select something in the breadcrumb of another thread the dropdowns would cover them up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

the problem that i had with those was that i was middle clicking on a tab to close a thread and when i go back down to select something in the breadcrumb of another thread the dropdowns would cover them up

There seems to be a difference in the way the forums are displaying in that case. Nothing brings me anywhere near the drop down menus... The only ones close to the breadcrumbs, in my browser view, are the Your Stuff, History, etc., links and those have to be clicked before they drop down.

Just re-absorbed your statement about middle-clicking to close a tab... i use Control+W... also tried out the middle-click... didn't find a problem... <shrug> Firefox 3+  Okay... retried again... Middle-clicked and moused to the breadcrumb... yes, i see that you could activate the drop down...

Doesn't bother me though.... i open several tabs... and just shut each tab as i'm done... FWIW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... yes, i see that you could activate the drop down...

well, i activated the drop downs constantly so i just removed that whole upper section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Zeno Bokor wrote:

well, i activated the drop downs constantly so i just removed that whole upper section

Well, there you go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another one who is also in favour of leaving this kind of chicken feed for after the major issues are solved or declared unsolvable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can Get More Forums for your Forums:

http://www.pbear.net/if/adobe/no_drop_down_menus.png

Firefox + Stylish. Just bookmark this http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa?showpersonalized=true and set up a list of links to the forums you use via the HTML widget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines