• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

E-mail Still Borked

Participant ,
May 24, 2009 May 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the Forum update of yesterday morning, I thought I'd give e-mail reading/responding of these fne Forums another go. Each e-mail is returned (very promptly I might add) with the following;

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.sgaur.hosted.jivesoftware.com X-Postfix-Queue-ID: CA9C02408205 X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; marathon.durandal@gmail.com Arrival-Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 06:54:33 -0600 (MDT) Final-Recipient: rfc822; clearspace-1503553350-74241-2-1985438@mail.forums.adobe.com Original-Recipient: +rfc822;clearspace-1503553350-74241-2-1985438@mail.forums.adobe.com Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Remote-MTA: dns; 10.137.24.42 Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 553     <clearspace-1503553350-74241-2-1985438@mail.forums.adobe.com> address     unknown. [-- Attachment #3: Undelivered Message --] [-- Type: message/rfc822, Encoding: 8bit, Size: 4.0K --]

Notice this: Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 553     <clearspace-1503553350-74241-2-1985438@mail.forums.adobe.com> address unknown.

Whomever is in charge of the mail server (Postfix) needs to fix this. Pretty basic stuff. Postfix should be able to do all we need in order for the forums e-mail delivery to work seamlessly with the JAVA software, you just need to get someone whom ulnderstands these protocols rather than being just a web applicaton expert.

Thanks I've said my say.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 25, 2009 May 25, 2009

Hi all - thanks for reporting this.

I've logged a priority 1 case with Jive Support and they should be responding shortly.

I truly apologize for this. If I am feeling frustrated, I can only imagine how you guys feel.

I'll post an update once it's available.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
May 25, 2009 May 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup.

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 553

<clearspace-1000355156-38842-2-1987865@mail.forums.adobe.com> address

unknown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed here.

As far as I'm concerned, they can keep it that way until the email system is actually ready for two-way correspondence.

To me that means that in addition to supplying normal email headers, it should treat quotes, code blocks, links, subject header, etc. in a consistent and predictible manner. Without munging the message or the code. If they're going to use some wiki-style notation, limit it to specific keywords, do not treat everything between square brackets (and other symbols) as something that should be translated. And it should NOT edit anything inside code blocks!

Not sure how I feel about inline images or attachments at this time. I guess for attachments, they should either kill the virus checking queue or reject all attachments - and delete the Attach Files feature in the Web interface.

At this point, the email notifications are exaclty that. Notification that somebody has replied to a thread/forum you're subscribed to. It is not meant as a means to participate with a reply, just as a link you can use to read the actual message - and it can be used to pick up where you left off in a long thread.

I ammended a line to my sig recently to reflect this opinion. And yes I still use a sig in other forums.

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' 🙂
If you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or to reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming that e-mail reply doesn't work for me either

Adobe shouldn't ask users to e-mail back, saying it is the "recommended method", when it doesn't even work (and users even have to retype a lost,  lenghty answer in the worst case!)

To post a reply to the thread message, either reply to this email (recommended) or visit the message page:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid this situation:

"If you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or to reply."

... wouldn't it be necessary to send out a new e-mail notification after message changes via the web interface ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian Davideck wrote:

To avoid this situation:

"If
you are reading this via email, be aware that it may not be an accurate
representation of my message. Login to read the actual message and/or
to reply."

... wouldn't it be necessary to send out a new e-mail notification after message changes via the web interface ?

For edited messages, you're right. And I don't actually expect such edits to be re-sent to everybody subscribed to the thread/forum. However, what goes out in emails even for unedited messages is not accurate. Links within the forum or to other forums are often stripped.

I don't know if it is still happening, but is the following hyperlinked in your email notification? Posting code in this forum or is it stripped down to */thread/427712* ? That particular link cause a bunch of round-about messages until I finally figured out that the recipient never saw a link to click on in his email.

Of course, I can send the full URL instead, and I have not seen any problems with doing that. But that does not change the fact that the Jive email system modifies both incoming and outgoing email messages such that they are not accurate representations of the messages that were sent or posted online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

I don't know if it is still happening, but is the following hyperlinked in your email notification? Posting code in this forum or is it stripped down to */thread/427712* ?

No link in my e-mail notification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - thanks for reporting this.

I've logged a priority 1 case with Jive Support and they should be responding shortly.

I truly apologize for this. If I am feeling frustrated, I can only imagine how you guys feel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen wrote:

What a refreshing attitude... Kanguyen and John C are like cheese compared to the chalk that are some other Adobe employee posters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen wrote:

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be fixed. At least in the sense that my response to an earlier

post wasn't returned. Whether it shows up in the web interface is another

thing. Hopefully the 'repeater' bug is fixed !

--

Best Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--

Best Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

…Hopefully the 'repeater' bug is fixed !

Nope.  You're repeating again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O OH Not the repeater bug again ... <SIGH> (via web interface)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. - part of the deployment this weekend was to add additional logging to help troubleshoot the repeater bug. Hopefully all the echoing you're doing will help us figure it out. Thanks for your continued patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

--

Best Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen wrote on 2009-05-26 01:41:

Email is working now.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just trying to see if e-mail reply works...

test

OK, yes, e-mail reply does indeed work now.

But ... new problem: It took my first few words and made a link of it (which takey you nowhere ... error-message)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to add quotations into our text, when we type our replies via e-mail ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to add quotations into our text, when we type our replies via e-mail ?

I would presume you just use the quotation marks....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[test via e-mail]

ok, thanks  for the tip.

"I would presume you just use the quotation marks...."

[/test]

EDIT: no, doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jochem mentioned, the reply by email issue should be fixed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<blockquote>As Jochem mentioned, the reply by email issue should be 
fixed now.</blockquote>

Yes, many thanks !!

There are still formatting issues though. For example you MUST NOT write plus signs. If you type this

via e-mail:

(7500x4500,16bit,10+MP raw SMO, hitting CTRL A+D after moving)

you get this on the web:

(7500x4500,16bit,10MP raw SMO, hitting CTRL AD after moving)

And when you use [square brackets] you create links, that's intended ?

Is there any format guide, as to what special characters will do in e-mails ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some (not all) of my e-mail posts are repeating again as you can see in this thread.

I'm wondering if it's how I reply to a thread (as not all are repeating). For example how does one allow for quoting attribution when responding via e-mail ? I guess a 'how to' for e-mail responses and new posts is needed ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines