• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP? Getting a flood of emails from David Powers?

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2009 Dec 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attention Adobe Administrator....I am getting flooded with emails from David Powers on all kinds of subjects?

David Powers says he cannot do anything about it? So maybe Adobe wizards can?  See attachment for proof

of emails.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these relative to posts on the Adobe forum, or has this person managed to grab your e-dress, and is using that for nefarious purposes. If they are to notify you of either your replies being replied to, or your posts being replies to, then maybe this ARTICLE will be of use.

If it's the latter, then you might want to take it up with David Powers' ISP/POP provider, as it appears that David Powers isn't interested in addressing the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I do have my e-dress in my profile (at least I did prior to the recent Jive update), and only put in a cryptic reference to it, when posting into the fora.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  All posts are relative to Adobe forum

posts and/or replies by David Powers.  I have tried to stop all email

notifications from Powers, but they just keep coming.  Powers told me

to contact and Adobe adminstrator but they are on vacation until

1/4/2010.

Btw...your link doesn't work. Guess I'll have to wait til

1/4/10.

Are these relative to posts on

the Adobe forum, or has this person managed

to grab your

e-dress, and is using that for nefarious purposes. If they

are

to notify you of either your replies being replied to, or your posts

being replies to, then maybe this

>

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503132?tstart=0 will be of use.

>

If it's the latter, then you might want to take it

up with David Powers'

ISP/POP provider, as it appears that David

Powers isn't interested in

addressing the issue.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the link does not work with you on e-mail. Here is the full URL: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503132?tstart=0

If these are directly related to the fora, you should be able to stop them. The images in the link (that works for me from the browser) will tell you the places to look and the changes to make to stop the e-mail notifications. There are basically three places, that will differ, depending on your initial choices.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have ALL e-mail notifications turned off for both my initiated posts and for my replies to all fora.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Are these relative to posts on the Adobe forum, or has this person managed to grab your e-dress, and is using that for nefarious purposes. If they are to notify you of either your replies being replied to, or your posts being replies to, then maybe this ARTICLE will be of use.

If it's the latter, then you might want to take it up with David Powers' ISP/POP provider, as it appears that David Powers isn't interested in addressing the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I do have my e-dress in my profile (at least I did prior to the recent Jive update), and only put in a cryptic reference to it, when posting into the fora.

This relates to the thread at http://forums.adobe.com/message/2486333#2486333  It's not that David isn't interested, just he can't do anything more then he already has suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't David Powers one of the key Support people on the forums and possibly an Adobe Employee? If so He is not a person likely to be spaming anyone. He has always had a well respected  reputation here on the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

If David Powers is, well powerless in these matters, it would seem that the OP could stop the flow, with the various settings in their Profile - all places. Unless, there was a Trojan, or WORM, that was sending out e-mails to all listings in, say Outlook on his machine.

I cannot think of many reasons that one could not stop receiving e-mails, if they were being generated by the Jive software, but maybe I'll learn something new here?

If one has canceled ALL e-mail notifications (every possible place, and should be covered in my linked article), where else are they coming from?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2010 Jan 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PjonesCET wrote:

Isn't David Powers one of the key Support people on the forums and possibly an Adobe Employee?

No, I'm not an Adobe employee. I'm a Community Expert for Dreamweaver, and spend most of my time there, as well as replying to questions in the Dreamweaver Help pages and Adobe Developer Connection.

He has always had a well respected  reputation here on the forums.

Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that bapaw's email problem has been sorted. As Dorothy has already pointed out, I did try to help (both through the DW forum and PMs), but none of the solutions worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy,

Thanks for the reply.

Can the recipient of these e-mails not change their settings, or is this just a horrible glitch in the forum's handling of e-mail notifications?

Just trying to help,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy,

Looking at that link, it would seem that my suggestions, posted in the article that I linked to, would stop this flow. Am I missing something very important here?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hunt. The main difference is that JC can look at the subscriptions for the account and see what's going on, then make suggestions. Dave and you already suggested the stuff that should have worked, tho getting posts from a particular profile is a bit of a twist, but dealing with it should still work the same. So we're stumped and at the point of flailing about in the dark. Time to call in the big guns. I mostly wanted to point out to you that there was an ongoing discussion in play already that you needed to be aware of. I found it by clicking to his profile and looking through his recent history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy,

Thank you for the clarification. I was worried that my article had missed something important. This seems to be a "one off" instance.

Good luck with curing it.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2009 Dec 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at your account, and it does not list any "user" subscriptions.

Is it possible that you have more than one forum account and are subscribed with a different account than bapaw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2009 Dec 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm, if you go to David's profile at http://forums.adobe.com/people/David_Powers what does it say in the ACTION panel on the right?

Does it says "Receive email notifications" or "Stop email notifications?" It should say "Receive..." If it says "Stop," click on that link to stop them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2010 Jan 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. I have not subscriptions, and all of my e-mail notifications are set to OFF, for both my replies and for my initiated posts, unless I manually turn one of those on.

I am having no problems with my account (though I do seem to have developed a new one with the forum update recently, even after getting Adobe to consolidate all Adobe Accounts - will address that, when I have time), and was only trying to help the OP stop unwanted e-mails. It seems that this problem is particular to some outside elements and is beyond just the e-mail settings available.

Thank you,

Hunt

[Edit] I also think that you might have replied to the wrong person, as my accounts are the_wine_snob (original), and WAHunt3, created with the forum update. Not sure about the bapaw account, as it is not mine - to the best of my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 02, 2010 Jan 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

<snipped>... Not sure about the bapaw account, as it is not mine - to the best of my knowledge.

Hunt, FYI, the original post was by 'bapaw'....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt, FYI, the original post was by 'bapaw'....

If the response was really to me, then I would hope that I had a different e-mail/Adobe Account I.D., than the OP. Obviously, I do, as I am not the OP, but an innocent bystander. I was just trying to point out all of the places to turn OFF e-mail notification.

Now, I am suddenly getting e-mails for every post to at least 3 different fora, and for threads, that I have not seen, let alone replied to.

Teach me!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also proves no one in the main office knows what the heck is going on. The the experts and techs don't Maybe those Jive people Might be asked to come down and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like in my attempt to help someone turn off all possible e-mails from the forum, when someone at Adobe checked my subscriptions, they managed to turn on full e-mail notification for all fora, that I post to, even for threads that I have never seen. Nice going!

Now I know how the OP feels. In my case, the e-mails are coming every time that anyone responds to almost any thread in the Premiere, Premiere Elements, of Encore.

Not sure how this has happened, and I have checked in all locations to make sure that all e-mail notifications are OFF, and they are, yet the e-mails still are coming. Guess that this proves that no good deed goes unpunished.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say what actually happened, but I would suspect that if John messed up by reading too quickly or whatever when he came in here (at my suggestion) while he was on holiday, he probably won't bother to do so again... especially if people are going to get all negative about what is no doubt a mistake, if, in fact, it was something he did.

Since I gave him a link to the OP's profile in the backroom, the account that he looked at was in all likelihood the correct one, so I really don't know what might be affecting Hunt's subscriptions now. My initial assumption, before other subscription questions came up, was that he just clicked on the last post in the topic to reply.

Hunt, I would think you should be able to find and turn off subscriptions... if not, send JC a PM... he'll probably find it before he gets back to work officially Tuesday, if not Monday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2010 Jan 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy,

Not sure what happened to me, but at least for today, those e-mails have stopped. There were over 1,000 yesterday afternoon, and from all over the fora, and for threads that I had never seen. These seem to have been limited to the Premiere forum and their various sub-fora, plus the Encore forum.

Also, in the process, my screen name changed from the_wine_snob, to Bill Hunt. My old screen name had been BILL HUNT, until the move to Jive, when the_wine_snob surfaced. It had been a very old screen name (I'd even forgotten about it), from back in the NTTP days. I just left it, as "Bill Hunt," and "BILL HUNT" were listed as taken. Now, I am Bill Hunt, but do not care about that.

I guess that both John and I were put into some sort of "trick bag," as we were both just trying to help others.

Thanks for the comments. As I said, the mass e-mails seem to have quit for me. I'm out of town for a week, and worry what I will find in my Inbox, upon return. Still, this morning dawned clear and bright with zero e-mails. The screen name change is not worth anyone worrying about. I can live with that easily.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that update. Perhaps once things settle after people get back to work, John will have a chance to sort out this puzzle. For now it sounds like things are stable enough for you. Since we haven't heard back from the OP, we have to guess that he figured out something as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dorothy. Right now, I'm perfectly happy - still no e-mail deluge. That might have been something that happened over a limited time, and during a space-time continuum ripe, or something. I have a few other, very minor issues, but will wait to sort those out later. I do not wish to temp fate. Going back, I tried to change to Bill Hunt twice, but could not either time. Now, it's been done for me, so I'm pleased.

I greatly appreciate your concern, and also appreciate the help. If the e-mail barrage stays abated, you will not hear a peep out of me.

Have a very happy 2010!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bill...good news no more flood of David Powers emails.  And as

you said in your email I don't want to tempt any fate...just stay under

the radar and hope this glitch stays away. Thanks for everybody's help.

Thank you Dorothy. Right now, I'm perfectly

happy - still no e-mail

deluge. That might have been something

that happened over a limited time,

and during a space-time

continuum ripe, or something. I have a few other,

very minor

issues, but will wait to sort those out later. I do not wish to

>

temp fate. Going back, I tried to change to Bill Hunt twice, but could

not

either time. Now, it's been done for me, so I'm pleased.

I greatly appreciate your concern, and also

appreciate the help. If the

e-mail barrage stays abated, you

will not hear a peep out of me.

Have a

very happy 2010!

Hunt

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bill...good news no more flood of David Powers emails. 

That is wonderful news. Not sure if I got caught up in some unseen vortex, or there were coincidences involved. Still, if you and I are both e-mail free (mine came from people, who I know, and not the poor person in your case, but were tied to many fora and then to threads, that I had never participated in), let us not temp fate. If I "took one for the team," (and it's over), I am pleased.

Good luck to both of us, and may 2010 be a wonderful year in all ways!

Thanks for reporting that things are looking up for you too.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines