Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the "point system" here helpful at all? [Jive is gone, there are no points]

May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this dumb Jive point system possibly be responsible for being asked to create a new thread (before you're actually assisted), or are points just post-based? (instead of continuing an older, perfectly relevant thread that was "answered"--the solution offered in the answer didn't work for the same problem presented)

Why does "marking a thread as a question encourage people to answer"....oh....it says for points right above..... Yeah is that helpful?  Do we really want to get people into this "point competition" mindset?  Bring back WebX!  Jive Clearspace sucks! 

The whole point system is a little pointless, can't it be disabled? It doesn't really belong on a professional company's tech forum.

(I marked this post as as a question! Who wants free points?! haha)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

NO!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd argue that points and posts are some of the only ways for new user to gauge responses. I know when I visit forums without points, I'm forced to look at posts only. And whatever gripe you might have about points goes triple for posts.

I haven't posted a question in a while, but I think the ability to unaward points and have admins quickly move/unaward/strike points based on user request is important. MonitorRGB as a working space, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoken like someone with 15 lousy points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J Maloney wrote:

Spoken like someone with 15 lousy points.

Well, here is someone with 60 lousy points who also finds them pointless and therefore thinks they should be abolished. With the Top Participants as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"abolished. With the Top Participants as well."   Man, ANOTHER good point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree.  The point system is helpful.  The more points a person has the less likely that the response to a question is of any use. I can therefore avoid the high-point responders answers.   Much of the time, the high-point responder answers all but the question that was asked.  Then, these high-point people get insulted when you ask the question a 2nd time.  These people become defensive and defend each other.  In fact, one person to whom I "gave" some points on one question was upset that I didn't give him points on another question ... which was never answered.  Now, if you are going to give points, you need the ability to give negative points on bad answers or non-answers.  This feature does not exist here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/424614

Ouch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J Maloney wrote:

Ouch.

Well, that thread is a good example of the fact that the original poster is rarely in a position to judge the quality of the replies s/he receives. In this particular case, there is no question in the opening message, just a complaint about a missing feature. The poster received helpful suggestions for acheiving what s/he wanted using a different method, and wanted to punish the posters because they hadn't answered his/her inexistent question!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2009 May 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>

Ouch.

I can't think of a better illustration for why we should get rid of

both the points system as well as the "Answered" system!

The two combined can easily ruin the whole experience on these

forums...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rft1020,

Consider yourself the proud recipient of 500 of your proposed negative points based on your reprehensible exchange with Ian Lyons and others.  Your posts are not just unhelpful but overbearing, presumptuous and wasteful. 

–500 points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Points are pointless...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I find the point and the red-blobs system so absurd, I have blocked all traces of it in my browser.

It should be abolished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It should be abolished."

Now, there is a point that I can certainly agree with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MonitorRGB as a working space, anyone?

good point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell who's making puns anymore. Now give me some points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only forty lousy points but you are very welcome to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob now has 25 lousy points for his correct answer of NO.

So who wants to abuse the system by giving out free points for pointless reasons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Bob now has 25 lousy points for his correct answer of NO.

So who wants to abuse the system by giving out free points for pointless reasons?

10 points... or maybe 15... can't remember... and it's 5 each for helpful.

And i disagree, the point system is extremely helpful... just give me a few to figure out what it helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's helpful? No points for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

It's helpful? No points for you!

Mmmm.... sorry.... i can see where that could be misread... meant, "a few days"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is the mean-spirited 'person' who is giving me points?  Such behavior is very hurtful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob_Peters wrote:

Who is the mean-spirited 'person' who is giving me points?  Such behavior is very hurtful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point system is stupid in a help forum. The main reason is the people who are asking the questions don't have a clue as to what the correct answer really is.

"Use monitor RGB as your working space." is a prime example. Gosh it must work it makes everything look great on my computer that must be the right answer. Here have a correct answer star you are so knowledgeable.

What about all the correct answers given that don't get awarded the star?

The answer stars stifle the discussions and as we all know apps like Photoshop have more than one correct way to accomplish the same thing. The other thing that stifles discussion is not being able to join a thread where you left off. Maybe we can trade the stupid answer stars for a this is where you left off feature.

Until then I want all the stars I can get. So lets just start lots of free star threads and abuse the star system until they remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

The other thing that stifles discussion is not being able to join a thread where you left off.

Actually you can!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines