• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More space for private messages?

LEGEND ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I hope this isn't a forum etiquette violation)

Can I request more space for private messages?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

What is a good number?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you can. More likely than not, though, nothing will be done about it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that.

What do you say, John?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I second that.

What do you say, John?

My impression is that John and his team are so busy trying to keep things working as it is, that they cannot afford to spend time trying to find if any improvement can be made using this ancient software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is certainly possible; see http://forums.adobe.com/message/1877489#1877489

However, this has been requested before, but there hasn't even be a comment on it then.

I personally think it would be very useful to have unlimited personal messages; many useful information are passed via PM.  It's a pity we have to lose these info by having to clean out PMs every few weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I remember, John changed it less than a year ago, when someone asked for more space (if it was I, it was more than a year ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, That would mean that there would be unlimited for spammers to spam.

Second, it far more important for system administration to kill all the bugs in the current system.

As far as That is concerned, if you need extra PM space ask admin. to remove my PM space and assign it to you. After the have cleansed the space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, you're getting spam by PM?  That's something I haven't seen.

John, I hate to point out the obvious, but if you are getting so many PMs that you've filled your quota, and you feel you need to keep the information for future reference, why not just save the text in a file or files on your PC?  It's not like the forum provides stellar indexing or search capabilities.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's clear to me that while perhaps asking was not an etiquette violation, posting publicly sure was unwise! (Especially on the weekend)

The true intent of the question was whether it was considered reasonable for individuals to request higher quotas, not for an across-the-board increase, but I should probably have just PM'd John about that.

Noel, surely you're not asking why I don't build a personal system of archiving private messages when the forum has one for me that works just fine? The answer is that it would take time and effort and be annoying, and if that can be avoided by John C. flipping a switch that takes no appreciable effort, then that's easier for everyone. And of course it benefits Adobe and the forums for frequent posters to be happy and to have convenient use of the forums, so it's not like it's just asking for a gift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

Noel, surely you're not asking why I don't build a personal system of archiving private messages when the forum has one for me that works just fine? The answer is that it would take time and effort and be annoying, and if that can be avoided by John C. flipping a switch that takes no appreciable effort, then that's easier for everyone. And of course it benefits Adobe and the forums for frequent posters to be happy and to have convenient use of the forums, so it's not like it's just asking for a gift.

I made the assumption (which has been stated explicitly by others) that individual or group quotas are likely not to be changed, and so suggested a possible workaround. While I guess you simply can't imagine not having thought of that, we all sometimes miss an obvious alternative.

I'm sorry you find using your computer to store your data annoying.  I was just trying to be helpful.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry if I offended you. I guess I misinterpetted you when you said "why not just?" and gave you the literal answer.

Thanks for the tip!

I wouldn't want to assume the world is quite as bleak as some have suggested, but we'll see how that optimism turns out when we hear from John C.

As for storing data, well, it's just a means to an end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used PM in so long beause ever

ytime I did I received spam afterwards. So I quit using it.  If any one wants my PM space have adminstrator give it to someone elese and clense it before reassigning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Phillip, I thought you were kidding the first time you said that.

PM space isn't that scarce, there's no point in taking yours away if someone else gets an increase. Also, it's not a fixed resource such that anyone could receive your messages or they would need cleansing. The server just keeps a count of how many PMs each person has in their inbox and enforces a limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Sent box, John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a good number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know... if you're taking individual requests, presumably that automatically filters out abusers so the size is irrelevent so you can choose something that is effectively infinity, like 10x, i.e. 1500.

If we're talking about the default, well, one has to worry about both giving spammers too much rope [not sure if this is a real issue] and perhaps whether there is some limited global resource [I don]t really know?], in which case a good rule of thumb when we don't know something is to double it (2x) or double-double it (4x). Since we're now at 150, perhaps 150x4 => 600?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a good number?

Something like 1000 or, even better, 1500 would be nice, John.

By the way, I remember no PM spam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

What is a good number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote on 11/05/23 17:57:

What is a good number?

As long as people don't have the option to turn off PMs I think the

current number is too high already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

What is a good number?

Why? I would think that anyone who receives an unwanted PM would delete it, not keep it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 11/05/24 14:08:

Jochem van Dieten wrote :

>> As long as people don't have the option to turn off PMs I think the

>> current number is too high already.

Why?

In order to make it clear that PMs will never be read some people fill

their entire quota. The bigger the quota, the more work that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people don't want to receive any PMs at all. To accomplish that they fill up their mailbox themselves. The higher the allowed count, the more difficult it is to fill the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

Some people don't want to receive any PMs at all. To accomplish that they fill up their mailbox themselves. The higher the allowed count, the more difficult it is to fill the box.

Hadn't thought of that.

A little trick that may make the task a little easier and quicker, if anyone is interested:

Send a PM to yourself, asking for a copy to be kept in the Sent box. This will increase your used quota by 2. Answer the received PM as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

What is a good number?

On this I agree with JVD.  (Someone catch JVD while he is fainting).

I have no interest in PM and the only ones I have ever received ended up being Spam or Phishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, you're getting spam by PM?  That's something I haven't seen.

Noel,

This has happened from time to time, but seems rather isolated. I've gotten maybe a half-dozen, and reported most here, if someone else had not done it.

Not sure how the spammers harvest the Adobe PM info, but it seems to be product forum related, where a few dozen frequent subscribers to forum ____ will be hit, and nothing aimed at others. PrElements forum was hit twice over the last two years, and for the other instances, I never figured out any particular forum link as most others did not report it.

Have not seen any of this for ~ 6 mos., or so.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines