• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please make Verdana the default font, not Arial

Enthusiast ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Forums admin folks (John C, perhaps?), please have mercy on your users and make Verdana the default for posts, and not frickin' Arial. Verdana was designed for on-screen reading, while Arial was barely designed for reading at all. I'll set this same paragraph again in Verdana below, so you can see the difference. Assuming you can change the default font at all, of course.

Adobe Forums admin folks (John C, perhaps?), please have mercy on your users and make Verdana the default for posts, and not frickin' Arial. Verdana was designed for on-screen reading, while Arial was barely designed for reading at all. I'll set this same paragraph again in Verdana below, so you can see the difference. Assuming you can change the default font at all, of course.

That's the same point size in both paragraphs, btw. Isn't that better? Don't you wish this paragraph was in Verdana as well?

Cheers,

T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There ya go! I was going to suggest a similar change, but for two things:

First, my opinion carries no weight. Second, there are nasty bits of far greater importance that need to be attended to first.

But hey, if they listen to you and ditch that stinkin' Arial as the default font, I might be placated for an extra 5 minutes. (BTW, I kind of prefer Trebuchet—among the choices offered—but that's just me. Firefox allows me to see it all the time anyway.)

Then there's the problem of changing the font choice to what you want; it doesn't seem to stick.

Try this: Type some text, select all, then change to whatever font you want. Now, click anywhere. Or click to to insert your cursor anywhere in the middle of that text. Or click-n-drag to select a portion of the text in the middle of the text you supposedly changed to something other than Arial.

Watch the font choice jump back to Arial.

ameslanwtf.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote:

[ ,,,]

Watch the font choice jump back to Arial.

ameslanwtf.gif

I agree completely same happens with the spell checker; the setting when changed doesn't stick !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll vote for Verdana too!

Just think, no more peering and squinting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me want verdana too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I VOTE FOR WEB CROSSING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

I VOTE FOR WEB CROSSING.

Do u have an example of that font Dave ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Webcrossing simply allowed the user to set the size of the font, and the font type was shown depending upon what is set for Mono-spaced or Proportional font.

It appears fonts are set for you wehther you desire that style or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would we be without these pearls of wisdom from PJ ?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quite like Calibri myself, so I set up a user style sheet for Opera. .jive-rendered-content has no specific styling, so the font is probably inherited from somewhere higher up. In any case, specifying fonts is very easy in css, it should take the Jive people 10 seconds to add a rule like the one below.

I don't think Macs have Calibri, so my vote goes for Verdana too. Something like font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif

.jive-rendered-content {font-family: calibri; font-size: 120%;}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have it in my system fonts (Mac OSX.4.11) but it doesn't show up in the list of fonts here:

SeaMonkeypicture002.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats because Calibri isn't a widely used font, it comes only with vista and the latest ms office

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a avst majority of Mac user own either Word/Excel or Office whether they want to or not because it the only serious Word processor or database/Spreedsheet aplications on the Market. I currently have istalled Office 2004  and 2008. on my Computers.

We would have rather had WordPerfect and Lotus 123 but the they were abandoned on Mac Platform long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

a avst majority of Mac user own either Word/Excel or Office whether they want to or not because it the only serious Word processor or database/Spreedsheet aplications on the Market.

That must be a result of your extensive research on the subject? 

PjonesCET wrote:

We would have rather had WordPerfect and Lotus 123 but the they were abandoned on Mac Platform long ago.

Who is this "we" you speak of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

We(Mac users) would have rather had WordPerfect and Lotus 123 but the they were abandoned on Mac Platform long ago.

You maybe I ******* hate Word Perfect and am glad its gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by Buko wrote:

You maybe I ******* hate Word Perfect and am glad its gone.

Buko, Buko, Buko.

Don't you know that Phil speaks for everyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I forgot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not not everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For about three decades I was forced to use WordPervert during my Uncle Sam day job, and I grew to hate it with a passion.  The pits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually liked the prorgam and had one feature Word has never adopted.

In Print Envelopes you created a envelope setup and Envelope style and gave it the person's name the information was saved in Database.

when you wanted to print an evelope, choose the person's name and you were ready to print an enveope any time you wanted.

But that's old history Office is now the only decent WP program for the mac on the market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

thats because Calibri isn't a widely used font, it comes only with vista and the latest ms office

And you can't get it for the Mac—without going through hoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fiddlesticks, I've got the set, Calibri, Candara etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Fiddlesticks, I've got the set, Calibri, Candara etc.

Good for you.  I stopped ugpgrading MS Office and stayed with MS Office 2004.  At that point I did have to go through hoops when I needed Calibri.  Had to download an .exe file and open it in SoftWindows98 (running in Classic) to extract the font.

Can't believe it's been five years already…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vote for Verdana, or almost anything but fake Helvetica.

And I vote for WordPerfect, still with 9 because of the shortcuts, still enjoying an application that can what Worst cannot, using Open Office when dealing with Worst and bundled applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arial is decidedly boring, but not unreadable. The problem with its use as the

default at the website - as I see it in IE7 - is that the leading is too

small. Thomas's examples both look fine in my RSS feed reader. Isn't there

some way to specify line-height:1.2em; or something?

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines