• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CPU not Performing Well in Premiere?

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have recently made a huge upgrade to my PC, and was expecting massive improvments over my previous PC but I'm left feeling a litte underwhelmed.

I was running a 4 core i7-3770k, overclocked, and 32GB low speed DDR3 RAM, and a 780Ti and used GPU acceleration. My footage is often from my ENT camcorders - Canon XF footage at 50mbps, so fairly demanding, but my PC handled it well.  I'm running Pro CS6.

My upgraded spec is the AMD Ryzen 3900x (12 core) running at 4.1Ghz each. It should have autoboosting when under load but according to task manager it never seems to increase power. I've installed the latest Ryzen software but no difference.

I'm running 32GB DDR4 RAM at 3200Mhz, and have an 8GB RTX 2070 SUPER GPU. Up until now, I was running GPU acceleration - then I saw that CPU performance can be increased by using Mercury Software only, and right enough, my warp stabiliser analysed 270 frames in a clip in around 100 seconds which is around 50% faster than before. But still, I'm disappointed in the speeds to complete these tasks.

Not only that, my CPU is at around 8% during the frame analysis for warp stabiliser, and around 50% usage when rendering with Media Encoder. Rendering times have definitely improved from my old PC, but again, not to the extent I would have expected. Can someone help me out because I'm sure I should be getting much better performance here? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Video Hardware forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test your computer to find out how well it will work
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/PugetBench-for-Premiere-Pro-1519/
-Benchmark test program available for Premiere Pro CC2019 and CC2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't open the file. Won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a possibility that you might have simply upgraded the major hardware platform on an existing install of Windows 10. You see, Windows still knows that you have only a 4-core/8-thread CPU even though you actually have a 12-core/24-thread CPU. That may be the result of having old motherboard drivers and settings clashing with those of your new motherboard and CPU. All that can degrade both performance and stability.

It is strongly recommended that you do a completely clean install of Windows whenever you upgrade to a different CPU platform with more cores and more threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a completely new PC I have and a new Windows 10 install. All new parts minus some old drives (new C drive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which drives are you using for your media and projects? Some of those old driver are way too slow for use as working drives, and so are only suitable for backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently am using a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD, but previously was using my Samsung 970 Plus M.2 for a smaller project and I was still disappointed on exporting times (about 7 minutes to export a 10-minute clip at 1080p, no major effects, approx 12mbps CBR).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just re-read your original post, and it turned out to be not your new system - but CS6 itself. That program dates all the way back to 2012, when even the most powerful workstation CPU had only 6 cores and 12 threads. Your CPU has 12 cores and 24 threads. CS6, which received its last-ever software update way back in late 2012, could not take full advantage of more than 8 cores and 16 threads. That software is now long obsolete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah okay, so the software may be the problem. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines