• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Whats wrong with my editing setup?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer: Acer Aspire V 15 Nitro ( bought it 6 months ago new for $2000 )

Ram: 16g

Internal Storage: 1TB HDD & 250 SSD

External Storage: Samsung T5 500 SSD ( connected via usb 3.1 )

Adobe Premiere installed on internal 250 SSD

It just seems that every time I spend more than 5 minutes editing in Premiere there is ALWAYS

a problem. Usually it either crashes or starts not responding, even on VERY simple tasks. And I'm

at the point now where I dread editing anything.

I always edit from the external SSD, is that a problem? would I be better off editing from my internal

HDD, as there is about 900gb free?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

could you give us more context about what you are actually editing ? I ask this because, I see it has a GTX 860M GPU, which was released in 2014. This GPU (on which Premiere Pro relies) should be enough for editing HD footage, even shot in h264, but would be way incufficent to edit 4k footage shot in hevc long-gop format such as the Panasonic GH5 does.

Regarding the internal/ external, it's ok to have your assets on external drives, even more if they are ssds connected through usb 3.1. It should be fast enough for most of editing needs.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for the fast response.

I'm editing 4k footage shot from a GH7 or GH5, which is RAW and in a flat profile.

What would your suggestions be in terms of upgrading what?

Thanks,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you indeed have a GTX 860M GPU, I would go and upgrade that. I know there are some complications using external GPU on laptops, and that would be more of a Hardware forum questions.

But what I would do, to make sure to know where your bottleneck is (and what I did to fix mine)

Once you have your project opened and your timeline ready to playback:

- Right click on  an empty part of the Windows task bar and open the task Manager

- Go in the performance Tab. You should see your CPU usage, Ram and HDD.

- Play your timeline and look at the task Manager

If you see a disk usage of 90% or more, you know this is the way to go.

If CPU usage flies high, you'll know that's what you'll have to upgrade.

I know there are also GPU usage monitoring apps, but I never used them (yet).

Also, Lumetri color correction needs a lot of vram on your GPU (it's very gpu intensive) and that's also what might causes render issues or crashes.

Hope this helps.

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, so you think it might be the graphics card over the processor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro relies heavily, and I do mean heavily, on the GPU.

The GPU is not only used for effects, color grading and transformations, it is also used to decompress and playback in realtime a lot of codecs. That's why you need a recent and beffy GPU to be able to make the best out of Premiere.

Raw footage needs less GPU but more bandwidth. Compressed footage (long gop, hevc, h264...) needs more GPU and less bandwidth.

Hence my suggestion to use task manager to see if in your case it's not a SDD/HDD bandwidth issue, because raw 4K needs a lot of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moving to Hardware forum for expert advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines