• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon XF705 H.265 HEVC Files and Resolve

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My fingers are hitting the table one after another, repeatedly. Have 5 gigs shot on the 705 now and refuse to buy Resolve just to have “access” to my footage.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

refuse to buy Resolve just to have “access” to my footage.

The free version won't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. You have to buy the full version for $300 to access your footage. Resolve (full) is the only supported NLE program that works with the XF705 until Adobe adds this format/codec/wrapper combo to their library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

If it helps any, the current version of Resolve (15.2) is every bit as capable as Premiere Pro for editing, and still superior for color.  Plus it comes with the equivalent of After Effects and Audition built-in.

That $300 is a one time purchase with (so far) lifetime upgrades to new versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still in the same boat as well. Many GB of 4K footage I can't access, I've been shooting 1080 while I wait. Frustrating. Dan, did you ever figure out where the Canon XF-HEVC decoder mounted or how to use it? I still have not.

C'mon Adobe we need you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's of any help...I have been changing the file extension to MPG as was talked about above. Then re-encoding that MPG footage to h265 with Media Encoder. Then editing in Premiere Pro. Then encoding the finished product out at h264 with gorgeous results.

It just takes a few hours to output that MXF changed to MPG footage out as h265 in Media Encoder.

But it's a viable workaround that I have used for 2 projects since I got my XF705 last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Robbie--

I ought to try that again. I ran one experiment early on with extension changes but was getting color bars and drop outs. Maybe I did something wrong.

The solution isn't really viable for me though because of how i shoot...lots of run and gun short clips so manually going thru that process would be a serious time sink and defeats the whole purpose of h.265 and rapid workflow.

I bought a new Samsung 4K HDR TV over the holidays hoping I could play back 4K XF705 footage on it via HDMI...no luck there either! So i still haven't really seen what this camera can produce. I'm eager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's not a rapid workflow. But it's a work-a-round that really gives nice results.

I shot a little comedy promo for my band this afternoon using that process. Here it is on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/jollisjammers/videos/217333022544365/

Of course Facebook compresses the hell out of it...but the vid here on my desktop is immaculate. This thing really shoots some nice footage.
And for the first time ever...I'm shooting full-auto.
I was going to shoot it canon log as that is what I'm used to. But realizing that this thing is designed to be able to be used by reporters streaming from the cam to the television station in real time made me realize that this monster doesn't need me to color grade it or set up the white balance manually, etc.
The dual processors inside are really good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your video. I've also been experimenting with the auto features after years of shooting full manual on C100 and C200 cameras primarily. Full auto is a bit much for me though...I've been locking WB and using manual iris, while allowing auto focus and auto gain control (AGC). Results have been good, though with manual iris I have to watch the zebras and adjust ND or the AGC compensation sometimes.

And as mentioned, I'm shooting 1080 XF-AVC codec which I presume is weaker than XF-HVEC would be. It's definitely noisy in low light once the gain kicks in high. Here's something I shot last weekend in an abandoned house, dark and moody: URBEX Boston | Canon XF705 1080 AVC - YouTube

My hope is that the 4K HVEC will be way less grainy in low light! Adobe I am waiting for you....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That grainy-ness is going to be there in that low of light. The codec and resolution of the vid have no effect on that.
Anytime the ISO jumps up past around 800 I start seeing grain no matter what camera I'm working with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hope is that the 4K HVEC will be way less grainy in low light!

That may be an unreasonable expectation.  Grain is more a function of the sensor than the encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi - Do you have specific instructions for this? I tried a test file and ended up with a blank file with only audio, file size way way smaller than orig. changed file extension to mpg, dragged file into AME, changed input format to HEVC, left it on Match settings (high bit rate), and started the encode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sold my XF705 on Friday strictly because Adobe wouldn’t support the format. Wow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I bought it! Thanks Dan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enjoy it Robert!! It’s like brand new. Hopefully gets off their ass and accepts the codec ASAP. You should have to tomorrow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines