• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

News on Premiere Next at Adobe Max

Advocate ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join us today at our #AdobeMAX keynote, live at 9:30 a.m. PT with CEO Shantanu Narayen and SVP @DWadhwani: http://adobe.ly/AdobeNext

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1857 Replies 1857
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which will probably be forever if people are stupid enough to buy into it.

Possibly.  I was stupid last year and have been happy ever since.  I've no current plans to stop being stupid (or happy ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

I don't like the idea of being at the mercy of a stock company.

Then the only option for you is Lightworks.  Pretty much everything else is brought to you by a stock company, or at the very least, some kind of corporate entity intent on making profit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the only option for you is Lightworks.  Pretty much everything else is brought to you by a stock company, or at the very least, some kind of corporate entity intent on making profit.

You are missing the point. I'm not at the mercy of Adobe at the moment. I can vote with my wallet (and will do just that). But if I would sign up for creative cloud, then I would really be at the mercy of Adobe, hoping they don't raise the price too much so I can still access my projects after 5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To take it to your electric bill comparison: it would be as if the electric company would force me to buy only devices that work with their special kind of electricity

Oh, you mean like having to buy a new electric razor when you visit Europe because they use 50Hz instead of 60Hz?  Or like having to buy a new car because none of the pumps have leaded gasoline for your '69 Charger any more.

Yeah, that does suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you mean like having to buy a new electric razor when you visit Europe because they use 50Hz instead of 60Hz?  Or like having to buy a new car because none of the pumps have leaded gasoline for your '69 Charger any more.

Nope, I was talking about everyday life in my house. Your examples are rare situations.

Yeah, that does suck

True.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, lets presume that I subscribe then what incentive does Adobe have to release the updates and or bug fixes for the software I want to use?

I use Premiere, Encore, After Effects, Audition and Photoshop; I am not interested in any thing else.

The way I presently see it is that Adobe will have a regular income stream so why not reduce the frequencies of releases.

Adobe will no doubt concentrate their activities on all the software we editors do not really need.

After all Adobe does not have a good track record of fixing bugs like we found in Premiere Pro 2, CS 4, CS 5 and CS 6 where they all took an age to rectify or as is the case with CS 6 the AVCHD bug is still there and how long have Adobe known about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what incentive does Adobe have to release the updates and or bug fixes for the software I want to use?

To meet user needs.  To keep up with the competition.  To keep current editors paying (not every editor is worried about going back to older projects, many just worry about the next project).

There could be many reasons.

The way I presently see it is that Adobe will have a regular income stream so why not reduce the frequencies of releases.

It's a very cynical way to see it.  The way I see it, and way Adobe has stated they see it, is that with the subscription model, they're no longer hindered by various obstacles about when they can release new features.  Once they're ready, they can be released.

After all Adobe does not have a good track record of fixing bugs like we found in Premiere Pro 2, CS 4, CS 5 and CS 6

I actually see the old model of perpetual licensing as the obstacle there.  At some point, Adobe has to look forward, not backwards, so getting the next release ready may well have prevented certain bugs from being corrected in the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very cynical way to see it.  The way I see it, and way Adobe has stated they see it, is that with the subscription model, they're no longer hindered by various obstacles about when they can release new features.  Once they're ready, they can be released.

It's not that cynical when you realize that a stock company has only one goal: to generate as much income as possible with as little expenses as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biggles Lamb wrote:

OK, lets presume that I subscribe then what incentive does Adobe have to release the updates and or bug fixes for the software I want to use?

I've not seen, nor can I even imagine, a directive from on high saying, "Hey guys, slow it down." No way. Our staff is hard at work with no sign of throttling innovation that I can see. I know you can't see things from where I sit, but trust me, tons of new things are coming out in the future.

Biggles Lamb wrote:

Adobe will no doubt concentrate their activities on all the software we editors do not really need.

I don't think so. Our digital video teams will continue to create world class software for post-production pros.

Biggles Lamb wrote:

I use Premiere, Encore, After Effects, Audition and Photoshop; I am not interested in any thing else.

We like to think that with these new apps come new business opportunities. During slow times you could, say, create an app, an e-book on the subject of your latest documentary, or an e-commerce web site to sell your wares. You could expand into creating HTML5 compliant web banners with Edge Animate, which I find very interesting. Tons of stuff that could help bring in more funds to your business. There are new services like Behance to surface your talents to lots of other folks in the creative community, and so on.

Before I came to Adobe, I often thought of ways to cross over to create new content (like apps), new revenue streams, and new ways to harness my creativity.

Biggles Lamb wrote:

After all Adobe does not have a good track record of fixing bugs like we found in Premiere Pro 2, CS 4, CS 5 and CS 6 where they all took an age to rectify or as is the case with CS 6 the AVCHD bug is still there and how long have Adobe known about it?

Now we have the capability to fix bugs and provide new features year round, so this will get much better. Regarding the AVCHD bug in CS6, I have posted about it many times. It was a deep rooted bug that required major architectural fixes, which are solved in Premiere Pro CC. It still might get fixed in CS6, but we have no news about that currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Regarding the AVCHD bug in CS6, I have posted about it many times. It was a deep rooted bug that required major architectural fixes, which are solved in Premiere Pro CC. It still might get fixed in CS6, but we have no news about that currently

Hmm... I have PPro CS5.5 which I bought but did not install, opting to install the PPro CS6 upgrade instead

Since I am "only" a home video editor, I have not YET run into the spanned clip bug (I normally film many small segments which I put together on the timeline to create a family DVD) but there MAY come a time when I want to film something longer... such as a friend's Soccer game which is 45 minutes per half (32Gig SD card in my AVCHD camera, so plenty of recording space)

If that happens and CS6 still is not fixed, I guess I will have to deactivate/uninstall CS6 and install PPro CS5.5

Long recording won't happen any time soon, so for now I'll just keep watching for a CS6 update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that happens and CS6 still is not fixed, I guess I will have to deactivate/uninstall CS6 and install PPro CS5.5

You can have both installed and activated at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

You can have both installed and activated at the same time.

Yes... but IF PPro CS6 is not fixed and I ever need to install PPro 5.5 to edit a "long form" video, there will be no point in keeping a (partly) non-functional program installed as well as a fully functional program

If I had known about the CS6 bug at the time I "most likely" would have installed 5.5 and not 6... but, not a big deal right now... I'll see what happens with CS6 over the next few months, and make a decision if/when necessary

I will say (have said) that as a hobbyist who has no revenue to offset my hobby expenses, I will not subscribe to the Cloud

With the one small (to me) problem in CS6 and everything else that works well, I simply have no need for the Cloud and new features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... but IF PPro CS6 is not fixed and I ever need to install PPro 5.5 to edit a "long form" video, there will be no point in keeping a (partly) non-functional program installed as well as a fully functional program

I disagree.  I feel there are enough improvements in CS6 to make it very much worth keeping, and using 5.5 only when it's necessary.  You might feel the same if you ever have to go down to 5.5, so use both before you decide to stop using 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy if you did it on CS6 you would have etneral access to your files. If you are on the cloud, you lose big time.

And lucky for me I got a perpetual license when I bought my car. I will be driving it anytime I want without being chanined to a lease.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, in their greedy quest to insure perpetual revenue, Adobe has just tossed out a huge incentive to hackers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, the ironic thing about this is that if they weren't diong the non-standard rental thng, I'd upgrade to CC in a heartbeat.

As a professional software developer I've subscribed to MSDN (a developer tools subscription plaan) and other such things and it's typically a great value. In no small part because at the end of a year, I still own the software I got during my subscription period whether I renew or not. It doesn't vanish into the ether. This is common practice not just in the MS world but many other tool suppliers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent point Christopher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actually excited about CC when it first came out for just that reason. I'm a big fan of subscription models.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christopher Duncan wrote:

Of course, the ironic thing about this is that if they weren't diong the non-standard rental thng, I'd upgrade to CC in a heartbeat.

As a professional software developer I've subscribed to MSDN (a developer tools subscription plaan) and other such things and it's typically a great value. In no small part because at the end of a year, I still own the software I got during my subscription period whether I renew or not. It doesn't vanish into the ether. This is common practice not just in the MS world but many other tool suppliers.

Now that sounds reasonable.  I could live with a one year commitment that starts when I sign up and gives me ownership of the software with the features up to the point if/when I decide to stop subscribing after one year. This would still most likely satisfy much of Adobe's revenue cravings/needs and keep people from feeling they are being held hostage.  If Adobe continues producing good software with innovative features coming out on a regular basis I'm sure many people would stay signed up. 

Even better would be to continue giving us the option of buying point release upgrades and give the happy cloud subscribers the new features before we get them in the next point release. That way the Adobe designers do not have to wait to release new features and we don't feel like were being held at gunpoint to keep using the software.  Heck it might even tempt some of us upgraders to switch to the cloud. 

If Adobe reconsiders their policy and offers something reasonable along these lines I will remain a customer.  If not I will stick with CS 5.5 and start to look elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christopher Duncan schrieb:

That is exactly what upsets me so much! If I pay for software (let's say I paid subscription fee for a whole year) then I want to own that software version after the year or when the subscription cycle ends.

Well, the problem is there will be no more versions like CS7 CS8 (development cycles) if I understand it right because of continually updates.

But what if Adobe decides to remove some features or upgrade them in their latest version but an older project of mine relies on one of the removed features  and the project get incompatible?

What if I need to reopen that old project for one of my clients???

If I would still own an older version no problem! Install it and there you go, but the cloud subscription nonsense takes this control out of my hands I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what if...an older project of mine relies on one of the removed features

I don't believe that's ever actually happened.  New versions might add features that old versions can't deal with, which preclude backward compatibility, but not the other way around.

Seriously, I think you guys are running on paranoia here, 'inventing' reasons to dislike the Cloud which, to my eye at least, have little basis for genuine concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media Composer is 999.00 for a new license and 299-399 for upgrades.  Not as bad as I thought and you get to "keep" your software.  Something to think about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tclark513 wrote:

Media Composer is 999.00 for a new license and 299-399 for upgrades.  Not as bad as I thought and you get to "keep" your software.  Something to think about.

Adobe CC is 600 a year for two seats, updates inclusive.

Two seats of Avid MC is 2000 + 700 every year and a half for updates.

Considering this, it takes 7 years to spend the same amount of money on Avid MC and Adobe CC for two seat and every updates. 8 and a half years to start spending more on Adobe CC than on Avid MC.

Oh and by the way with Avid MC you get just Avid MC. You don't get Photoshop, After Effects and Illustrator, just to name a few industry leading softwares. Something to think about.

I've been editing on FCP for years and shifted to Premiere without a second thought when FCS was discontinued and CS6 / Creative Cloud popped. I've been using Creative Cloud since then on 5 seats whitout any issue. Oh and I had an Avid MC5 licence too. It got stuck the day I formated the workstation it was on and forgot to deactivate it first. Never got any answer from their customer support regarding this issue. Can't happen with CC as you can remotly deactivate seats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Creative Cloud since then on 5 seats whitout any issue.

Good luck when you need to make changes to a project you did with old versions you can't get any longer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tclark513 wrote:

I've been using Creative Cloud since then on 5 seats whitout any issue.

Good luck when you need to make changes to a project you did with old versions you can't get any longer!

I just opened a project I completed in Adobe Premiere Pro (version 1.0). I did so in CS6. Guess what? It popped up, stuff reconnected and it works great. I had some filters in the old project that I no longer own but I replaced them easily. But even that's not really an Adobe issue. It took me just minutes.

Tell me again how this is a problem?

I mean, if I REALLY wanted to, I could have installed an older version (I still have the disks for Pro 1.0, not sure why....). But what would I have really gained? For me, I'd much rather work in the newer version.

Please explain how I have a problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines