• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: How to fix common After Effects crashes?

Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page lists solutions to common After Effects crashes.

First things first:

After Effects is stuck on the splash screen

Take a closer look at the splash screen and check if the app is frozen while loading a specific plugin. Most of the time, it freezes on a third-party plugin and removing the plugin temporarily should fix the problem. However, if it is frozen while trying to load a built-in plugin, create a new discussion in the community for troubleshooting.

clipboard_image_0.png

After Effects crashes on launch

• First of all, submit a crash report with your e-mail address and a description of what you were doing when the problem occurred. Detailed instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/submit-crash-reports-digital-video-applications.html
  • Update your computer's GPU drivers. If your computer has a dedicated GPU, make sure to update the GPU driver as well as the onboard Intel GPU driver. Our community recommends updating drivers from the manufacturer's website rather than installing them through Windows updates.
  • If you're on Windows, run the app as an Administrator. [Right-click the After Effects app icon > Click Run as Administrator]
  • If you get an error message on launch that says missing libraries, it is an indication of a bad install. Use the Adobe CC Cleaner tool to uninstall After Effects and reinstall it: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

After Effects crashes while working

• After Effects crashes in the middle of a project are mostly related to third-party plugins or scripts. Remove the plugin or script temporarily to resolve the issue.
  • When After Effects crashes while adding layers, changing the length of the frame, adding a new figure or other random steps, our community recommends uninstalling the GPU driver and reinstalling it.

After Effects crashes while rendering or exporting

• First of all, submit a crash report with your e-mail address: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/submit-crash-reports-digital-video-applications.html This will enable Adobe staff to read your crash report from the crash server and provide appropriate suggestions.
  • If you're getting an error message that reads Error Compiling Movie, check the timecode details in the error message and remove any effects or transitions that are applied to your composition anywhere in that timecode.

• Turn off GPU Acceleration under File > Project Settings > Video Rendering and Effects

• Update your computer's GPU drivers. If your computer has a dedicated GPU, make sure to update the GPU driver as well as the on-board Intel GPU driver. Our community recommends updating drivers from the manufacturer's website rather than installing them through Windows updates.

Specific error messages:

After Effects is frozen on Initializing Mediacore

Follow the steps given in this article to resolve the problem: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/startup-screen-hangs-premiere-after.html

After Effects can't continue: Error while accessing the preference files...

Follow the troubleshooting steps given in this article: https://community.adobe.com/t5/After-Effects/FAQ-After-Effects-can-t-continue-Error-while-accessing-...

After Effects error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)

This error is mostly related to the GPU driver of your computer and can be resolved by uninstalling the video driver and reinstalling it. If your GPU driver is out of date, it's recommended to update it.

Anything else?

If the resolution of your issue is not mentioned in this post, please leave a comment below with the steps that resolved your problem.

If none of these solutions help, create a new discussion in the community so that we can troubleshoot the issue with you.

Thanks!

Rameez

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , FAQ , Freeze or hang , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day. I had adobe affter effects 2020 but it is working fine the issue is that adobe media encoder doesn't link with it so I decided to download a higher version on adobe after effects 2020 from the same site. It worked perfectly but the next day it wouldn't lunch.. says D3D ......is missing . And my antivirus is disabled . But the after effect lower version still works but having dynamic link problems ..help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

I cannot get AE to open.  It continually crashes on the start screen.  I have updated version of windows, drivers and even uninstalled and reinstalled but same issue.  Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has started happening again!

Version 18.1 

Somebody help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

delete the file error in this folder, you will be able to use the software : tên file crach adobe 

default4iyqd9w94nwe_0-1625507776504.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been having this problem with after effects it will not let me do anything first it will make both my computer screens go black then turn on and the after-effects screen looks like this.

hannaha58007009_0-1612297201684.png

I don't know what to do. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and restarted my computer but nothing seems to help this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what has been happening to my computer after I've started up After Effects and then attempt to open a project I was working on previously. I've gone through and updated my graphics software, I've tried reverting back to a previous version of After Effects, and occasionally something works and I'm able to work on the file again, but that can change in just a few hours. I haven't been able to figure out the common cause here and this has been going on for the past couple of weeks off and on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skærmbillede 2021-03-04 120535.png

Hello,

I am working and suddenly, that happens, it says: don´t answer. So, what I can do now? I can´t loose my job.

Thanks in advance.

BR 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe After Effects needs to be run in Windows 8 Compatibility Mode to make it work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with you

Adobe After Effects needs to be run in Windows 8 Compatibility Mode to make it work

By @Mohammed5DA0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can not open our previous projects on the new AE update. How do we fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My AE keeps crashing the entire system. It just freezes up the whole computer except for mouse cursor. MacBook Pro 2019 i9 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, latest Ventura. Same thing happens with the AE beta.

• The crash happens randomly but regularly after about 10 minutes of working in AE regardless of graphics settings in the operating system and in AE.

• AE is the ONLY program that does this. I use a lot of different software, including other CC applications, and the computer is generally very stable.

• I've uninstalled and reinstalled AE AND the operating system.

• I DO NOT have any plugins.

• I've had this issue for several months now. 

• This makes it impossible to work so please help me.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have this error when I start the after effects program, after which the program offers to save the project and immediately closesjib,rf 1.pngjib,rf 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for this, Please try to open an After Effects project if you already have from previous works, it should allow you to open the application. Then go to AE menu  choose Edit>Preferences>Startup and Repair> here, uncheck Enable Home Screen, hit ok, And try to launch the application once. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines