• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disclaimer:  The following is not endorsed by Adobe in any way.  I am just a user, like you.  These are my views and recommendations.  However, they are based upon more than 15 years of experience and success using Adobe software, as well as a decade of participation in the forums.  I make these recommendations because I use them myself.  I know they work.

Step 1:  If you can, start troubleshooting with a basic knowledge of computers and Premiere Pro "getting started" training at a minimum. With these things in hand, you will have a much easier time in trying to understand any problems with your project better so that you can solve them faster and easier. 

A. Computer Knowledge -- You might not know how to build a PC from scratch, but one does need to be more in tune with your own computer to run Premiere Pro reliably. As a savvy troubleshooter of a PC or Mac, be sure you are familiar with your computer, its OS, computer components, and how to maintain your computer, along with how Premiere Pro system requirements ties in with those things. You should also know as to whether you are operating a relatively low, medium, or high powered computer, and its status as a working machine.

B. User Guide and Training Materials -- Premiere Pro is a professional tool and it can be somewhat overwhelming to learn. While you train (the Learn workspace is a great place to start with its guided tutorials), refer to the User Guide as frequently as necessary to guide you smoothly through the in-app tutorials. Need more training? LinkedIn Learning and others have professional training programs you can complete too. 

If you are already past computer and Premiere Pro basics, you can skip to Step 2.

Step 2:  Basic Troubleshooting.  If you still have a problem after successfully completing step 1 above (do NOT skip step 1), give these a try.  They are listed in no particular order, and not all suggestions will apply to every issue.

A.  Restart. -- Close and restart Premiere Pro.  If that doesn't help, restart the computer.  (You'd be surprised how many issues this one will solve.)

B.  Test other media. -- 

• Did the media come from a camera? It sometimes happens that a particular problem is specific to one media type, so testing other supported camera media is a good troubleshooting step. 
  • Did the media come from a phone, drone, or video stream like from OBS? Media from mobile devices, game streams, drones sometimes require that you convert them if they contain a variable frame rate (right click on a clip and choose "Properties" to check or use freeware Media Info)
    • Convert them back to .mp4 or, better yet, to an editing codec using freeware called Shutter Encoder. For .mp4, you can also use Handbrake.
    • If you don't wish to convert them, you can use a hardware recorder for screen capture.  Blackmagic and AJA both make suitable devices. 

C.  Use the Media Browser. -- (no longer an issue) In v.22 and later, this has changed, so strict use of the Media Browser for importing card-based media is no longer required. For v.15.x and previous: import card-based media via Media Browser only.

D.  Try a new sequence. -- They can get corrupted, so start a new sequence in the same project and test that out.  If it works, you might be able to copy/paste everything into the new sequence and get back to work.

E.  Try a new project. -- Like sequences, project files can also become corrupted, so try out a new one.  If it works, you might be able to import the old project into the new one and get back to work.  When importing projects, use the Media Browser and import only one sequence at a time.  Test that out before importing the next sequence.

F.  Reset Premiere Pro Preferences. -- Holding down Shift + ALT (Windows) or Shift + Option (macOS) while Premiere Pro starts up and until the Welcome screen appears. This resets both the preferences and plug-ins and solves many issues.

G.  Remove effects and transitions. -- It does sometimes occur that a specific effect or transition, or a setting in one of those, causes crashes and other odd behavior.  So work through your project by removing the effects and transitions to locate the offender. Error dialog boxes can often pinpoint the error with a timecode value, so be sure to check that if one appears. There is also a "Mute FX" button you can add and try, as well.

H.  Clear the Media Cache. -- Choose File > Close All Projects. Then choose Preferences > Media Cache. Remove Media Cache Files > click the Delete button. In the dialog box, choose the option "Delete all media cache files from the system" (if this option is disabled, you need to go back and close all projects). Click OK. When you reopen the project, these cache files will take some time to rebuild, so allow some time for that.

I.  Rename Media Folders. -- With Premiere Pro closed, rename the top level folder containing the media.  When you reopen the project, relink the media to the new folder and let the cache files rebuild.

J.  Uninstall all plug-ins. -- Even if the plug-in isn't used, just having it installed might be the problem.  So test without them.  For Windows users, I recommend using IOBit's Uninstaller for the task.  Perform a Powerful Scan after the normal uninstall process to make sure all the leftovers are gone.

K.  Test on a second machine. -- Premiere Pro allows two activations.  Test things out on a second computer system.  If it works on the second, you might have a hardware issue on the primary system.

L.  Render -- After setting in and out points, choose Sequence > Render In to Out. It can easily happen that a system just isn't powerful enough to handle sequence playback in real time.  Try rendering the timeline.  This can apply especially when using Dynamically Linked After Effects compositions or motion graphics templates.

M.  Turn off GPU Accleration -- Choose Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer to find the Software Only setting. Unfortunately, GPU acceleration isn't perfect.  Sometimes this is the only way to get things working again.

N.  Remove QuickTime -- (this is no longer an issue since Adobe built codecs were introduced)

Step 3:  Advanced Troubleshooting.  If steps 1 and 2 haven't solved the issue (do NOT skip step 1), give these more advanced options a try.

A.  Update drivers. -- The GPU diver, I/O device drivers, audio drivers, network drivers, etc.  Get them directly from the hardware manufacturer.

B.  Roll back a driver. -- Conversely to the above, there are times when a new driver will introduce a bug that wasn't there before, so installing an older driver can sometimes solve the problem.

C.  Remove third-party hardware. -- In the spirit of eliminating variables during the troubleshooting process, physically remove any third-party hardware like I/O devices from the system, and fully uninstall their drivers.  Keep it out until everything works again.  (Or if this turns out to be the issue, replace the hardware.)

D.  Remove security software. -- Windows 10 includes sufficient anti-virus and firewall protection, if you know what you're doing.  (See step 1B above.)  Third-party security tools can and sometimes do interfere with the proper operation of Adobe software.  Just don't use them.

Do I Still Need Anti-Virus on Windows?

E.  Reinstall Premiere Pro. --  It does sometimes happen that something goes weird with an install.  When you perform this step, use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to ensure a complete removal of the software, and then reinstall.

How and when to use the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool | Advanced steps

F.  Try a new user account. -- Like sequences and projects, even user accounts can sometimes go weird.  Try creating a new Admin user account and running PP there.  If this works, you will have to move everything over to the new account.

G.  Don't move documents. -- Be sure to leave My Documents in its default location on the C: drive.  Moving that has caused issues for many people.  If you're in a networked environment and can't do that, move Premiere Pro to a non-networked computer and do this. Same goes for Mac users, do not move the documents folder. Furthermore, use of iCloud can cause problems with the Documents folder.

H.  Use local drives only. -- Test everything on internal drives when troubleshooting. You can add in networked and removable drives for backup and archiving. Add on attached drives if they are SSDs or RAIDs connected via high speed data cable. Only use networked drives which have been approved and tested for post-production. A run-of-the-mill NAS will likely not be up to the task. 

I.  Reinstall Windows -- This is not a bad thing to do every once in a while.  If nothing else has worked, this might be worth trying.

Step 4:  Back to Basics.  There are many people successfully using Premiere Pro under less than ideal conditions, but if nothing previously listed has solved your issue, it might be time to take a look at which points below you're violating and correct them.

I recommend running Premiere Pro only on a:

A. Use a properly configured PC -- I recommend Intel CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs for hardware in an edit system. AMD CPUs and GPUs are not recommended. Have multiple internal hard drives to spread out the load, ideally separating project files, cache and scratch files, media and exports onto their own dedicated drives.  Spinning drives should be connected internally and at 7200rpm. SSDs and M.2 drives are ideal for internal drives too. Use at least a 24" 1920 x 1080 monitor.

B. Self-built -- If you can, and you do know what you are doing, try building your own computer. You can build a higher quality system in an afternoon. HP, Dell and other such companies normally install a bunch of crap you don't need.  It's cheaper and better to build your own system.

C. Windows machine -- In my opinion, they just run better, and are cheaper to build and buy.   $2,000 Custom PC vs $4,000 Mac Pro

D. Dedicated to editing. -- Only install what you need to do the job.  Don't install games, office, email or other unnecessary software on an edit system if you can avoid it.  Perform those tasks on a second machine or use a mobile device or tablet, like an iPad.

I recommend the above because I believe it will work for the overwhelming majority of people, otherwise, you increase the likelihood of having a problem.  Since you're here, you're having a problem.  And if you're at step 4, it's a difficult problem that just might require this drastic a measure to correct.

Step 5:  Now what?  If you have successfully completed steps 1 through 4 and you're still having an issue, read the following guide on the information we need in the forums in order to help.

A.  How To Ask For Help

Mod notes: Title of discussion changed to avoid confusion with staff created FAQs. Some passages were rewritten by mod to update and modernize the article.

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jim_Simon for such a great piece!

Much appreciated!

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rameez,

I am working through some of those suggestions now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I dont thing this is so fantastic. Remove all other software, remove antivirus software, learn software before posting, make new installation of OS and so on. And at the same time long lists of people who complain and all they get from support is the fact that support know they cant fix this but they still say "I never seen this before", "your OS is not in english so I can not do a seach", "I can not find this online", "you can not have any other software in you computer as that can make problem for Adobe", "if you bought a computer that has a maker, that will not be good using (as in all laptops that are sold", "you must do a second accunt, call back", "your computer is broken, reinstall OS".

And then finish with the words "If you done all these thing and still have problems...and knowing that 97% dont want to and/or can not do all of them. Well, thats a good guard for Adobe. "We can not be blamed if you not follow all theses steps and its not our fault any more"

And now I see admin or suport write, "follow this text to install a old version of Premiere". Is that was I am paying for every month? 

No!

Jacob Boman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I dont thing this is so fantastic. Remove all other software, remove antivirus software, learn software before posting, make new installation of OS and so on.

Those are all steps you can try to get things working again.  They may or may not solve any individual problem.

Whether or not you like those steps doesn't change the fact that they do sometimes work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the other things, thanks. And some more.

If this was only me I accept it but one day it worked and then after update it did not. And there is a lot of folks with this. I also get angry on support that never heard about this problem, and "can not find anything online" and just by using the missing DLL file name I get a lot of them and all describe the problem the same and I can see this problem been since 2013.

AND I also got a error code that he not know what it was a what to know. And I later find out that right click on mouse and start as admin, make it start. That must be pretty much standard knowledge if you work as support and say a little about staff level...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get angry on support

I'm not Support.  I'm just a user like you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Sometimes" is perfectly useless with the client waiting....currently I'm just trying to delete my account here and even that is a total pain.

[edit] sorry I know you're just trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a bad guide as far as useful information goes.

On the PR front (you know, the front where people who get out of their houses once in a while might read it?), this is abysmal. I haven't read a forum post that congratulates itself more at the expense of those looking for help since frequenting religion forums back in the nineties. The author is a professional. That much is clear - why?...ah, yes. He made it clear in 'step 1'. If you're not a professional then best pay a professional to do it all for you whilst berating you for existing. Come on, Adobe, you couldn't ask this guy to edit his opinion piece just a wee bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the people who do a lot of helping around "here" are perhaps a bit ... direct ... in some comments. When I first posted here some rather distraught questions several years back, I got a few direct & "pithy" responses. One of them was a "fail" of the autosave system. The responses to my troubles were short, totally lacking in sympathy, and rather direct ... "you rely on autosave, (which decidedly can NOT save your bacon if corruption gets into it without your realizing it) ... well, reap the wind fella."

After a couple posts, I got a very direct explanation of why the only sane way to work relies on manual save-as processes built into your working pattern. And I learned something very useful, that I use every time I'm in PrPro.

Those sorts of people don't care about one's feelings ... they care about work getting done. And if one isn't here about Work (whether for pay or not) ... well ... don't get your knickers in a bunch, and don't expect them to care a lot. If people aren't willing to take the program seriously, well ... they're not going to take the question too seriously either.

They do tend to expect people to spend a small amount of effort both in learning the basics of the program and in trying to use that to guide their own working patterns to better practices. Many questions asked here wouldn't be, in truth, if the OP spent a couple minutes perusal of the lousy help system that PrPro does have.

So ... it's always a bit of a social dance, isn't it? For a pro version of a program, such a complex and dense program, what sort of effort should a user make to figure out how to use the program right at the start? Most of us tend to jump in, then realize we need to learn a ton before we can do squat, and ... find "learning" on it.

Some just expect others to babysit them.

I tolerate those needing some babysitting pretty well, most of the time. Others figure we're grownups here, no babysitting coming from them.

But ... what's babysitting?

Yea, Jim's kinda direct on expecting people to put some serious effort into learning this program. He's also one of the best at helping you when you need it ... as are the other folk of the same persuasion.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. Just seems to me an unofficial guide that starts by suggesting that you should already know what you're doing isn't keen to do much guiding. It was a student that directed me to this guide. He couldn't get the arrow keys to move after updating to cc 2017. He's not an idiot or a novice. But he is plenty annoyed at Adobe's tweaks and now... their unofficial guide. Help if you like...but be sure you like helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. And of course, it's not "Adobe's" unofficial guide. It's Jim's, who put in the work to collate responses by quite a number of us over a wide range of issues.

These forums are provided as primarily User-to-User, not as "official" Adobe support. Though the program support staff do monitor them.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Jim!

R Neil Haugen schrieb

Understood. And of course, it's not "Adobe's" unofficial guide. It's Jim's, who put in the work to collate responses by quite a number of us over a wide range of issues.

These forums are provided as primarily User-to-User, not as "official" Adobe support. Though the program support staff do monitor them.

Neil

No Neil, it's not from ADOBE, show me the link from ADOBE and we can Jim's side perhaps delete.

Sometimes Neil, you do not have to explain the world to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there are many users here with much experience such as yourself, any basic perusal of the forum shows there are at least as many total noobs. So do you need much of the explanation of things on here? In most cases, probably not. Although I don't know anyone who's an expert in all segments of this app.

But many need explanations of very simple, basic things. For the forum to be of most use to the most folks, it is useful if some things are explained in a bit more detailed fashion.

For myself, there are some parts of the app I'm very familiar with. And some, due to workflow needs of mine, I've never used and therefore have little knowledge of. In those areas, I myself like more explanation in comments.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, Adobe, you couldn't ask this guy to edit his opinion piece just a wee bit?

Nope. It's free speech central here on Adobe forums. I quite agree with you. It's a biased post towards one man's opinion on troubleshooting, I'm afraid. I don't agree with a lot of it.

Basically, this "advice" is just a wall of annoyance for folks that use Macs, QuickTime, or shoot with mobile devices.

God forbid we ever used an iPhone to shoot video, used QuickTime codecs as proxies or to transcode to, much less even using a Mac! These are mortal sins in the OP's eyes, however, I enjoy using all three with success.

Please ignore the negative tone and lack of encouragement on this "unofficial" post and feel free to create your own post with your question. We'll do our best to help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God forbid we ever used an iPhone to shoot video, used QuickTime codecs as proxies or to transcode to, much less even using a Mac!

I love how you get me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this "advice" is just a wall of annoyance for folks that use Macs, QuickTime, or shoot with mobile devices.

Kevin, it's your 'turn of phrase' that I just love 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim was a long-time MAJOR helper around here. He and shooternz (Craig) were the two old curmudgeons that got me out of SO many troubles when I was starting out a few years back. They never "felt my pain" ... just told me in very few words how to get running again. And how not to do Stupid again. Not that they wasted words to actually write Stupid, but ... it was sort of hanging there, you know?

Neither were worried about feelings, empathy, or any of that crock (as they'd have seen it) ... this is a professional tool, you're trying to get work out the door, your feelings don't matter. WORK matters. Deadlines matter.

I grew up around a lot of working women and men who were just like that, and well ... they're practical as Hades. You can learn a ton from them, and following their workflows may not be the most new-fangled brilliant thing but your work will be top rate and beat deadlines. I was happy to learn from them. And I learned a lot from Jim and Craig. And Ann too of course ... she's not quite as pithy, but still fairly direct. And like them, very knowledgeable.

Jim and Craig were both direct and short. Totally interested in a practical, what just works process. How any of us "think" or "feel" this should work was completely irrelevant ... the only thing that mattered to them was how you used that tool as it existed to get work out the fastest and most efficient way possible.

Jim's pretty active over on the BMD forums now, btw ... Craig's pretty much retired. Miss them both, actually. In all their curmudgeonly bluntness.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic list. I'll be linking to here from anywhere I can.

There is at least ONE issue I know of that does not appear here, so I'll add it now:

If, when you import a video clip, and either the video or the audio is missing in Premiere (but it IS present when you open that file in VLC or something) then it is possible that you don't have the right codec installed on your system.

In that case, I recommend that you install CCCP, and try again.

CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never install a codec pack, only the codec you need. Which is probably none.

As Premiere comes with most used codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious as to why you say this. When VLC can play a file that Premiere cannot, installing CCCP has almost always solved the problem.

Does having all those extra codecs potentially lead to stability problems for Premiere, or for the system?

Exactly how would a user go about determining the exact codec that was missing? When I right click on a file and look at the properties, I don't see that information anywhere.

However, if I look at the properties of that same file in Premiere, I do seem to get more information:

Is "16-bit Little Endian" the codec that is used for the audio?

Would this information even be displayed, if Premiere didn't already have this codec? If not, how could a user determine this information?

Assuming I know what audio codec I need, exactly how do I go about downloading and installing it?

https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&q=16-bit+little+endian+audio+codec+download

when I searched for this codec, I just got a bunch of irrelevant results.

I don't mean to be rude, Ann, but it's not enough to just say "don't do that," unless you also explain why, and offer a complete alternative solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just I say so. Its common practice with Adobe products.

Codec packs are known to mess up the system. Makes you use lesser codec.

Use Mediainfo to determine the codec.

the only codec I ever installed was Lagarith and mjpeg. (and in the past Cineform).

VLC plays everthing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, let me jump in here fr a bit with two points:

1. "16 bit little endian" is not a codec. It's a property of a codec, as well as a property for writing data bytes.

Wikipedia has a good article on endianness here: Endianness - Wikipedia

2. The thing about installing codec packs rather than what you need, is there is a risk of overwriting existing codecs included with Premiere Pro with older versions of some of these codecs. (I suppose you could install a pack, then re-install Premiere, but I don't think it's necessary.)

You might find it easier to fix by transcoding a problem video with Handbrake prior to ingest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is possible that you don't have the right codec installed on your system.

It is very likely that such folks should be using Premiere Elements, rather than Premiere Pro, as the latter can handle natively pretty much any format used by professionals.

For those rare exceptions, professionals would know which codec is needed and be able to install only that.

Like Ann said, codec packs have a history of messing up Premiere Pro to the point where a complete reinstall of Windows becomes necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the main video editor for one of the top technology channels on YouTube, I'd certainly consider myself a professional. Still, I didn't know these things about codec packs. I can admit that.

But everybody has gaps in their knowledge, and it's primarily through open discourse like this, that those gaps can be discovered, and resolved. So, on a forum solely dedicated to helping people with Premiere Pro, on a thread devoted to troubleshooting difficult Premiere issues, it's just not helpful to say, "professionals would know [what to do in this situation.]"

And, Ann never said that a codec pack can "[Mess] up Premiere Pro to the point where a complete reinstall of Windows becomes necessary."

You guys aren't wrong, you're just posting incomplete information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines