Acrobat DC extremely slow and often "not responding" for 30 seconds

Participant ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For approximately the past two months, Acrobat DC reports "not responding" for about 20 to 30 seconds when I open it. This happens again when I open any PDF document (even one with just a single page). It happens again when I select any of the tools (Edit, Combine, Organize, etc). It also happens when I try to drag or rezize the application window.

Machine Resources:
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11950H @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.739
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.739.0

The post acrobat-dc-extreme-slow-on-windows-10/m-p/12118085 points to how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792082 with instructions to clear %appdata%\Adobe\Acrobat\[version], so I presume this would be C:\Users\willi\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ on my computer.

I renamed the directory and restarted Acrobat. Performance improved slightly. The "not responding" periods are now about 15 seconds. Still unacceptable.

The next step is then described here: cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

1. I ran the log collector tool. AdobeLogs_20220630_111841_237-win-GS.zxp in in a LogCollector directory on the Desktop.
  2. No files are pending upload.
  3. "Close Adobe Desktop Service and Core Sync in Task manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (macOS)."
    Neither of these is listed on the Task Manager's Processes tab, nor are they on the Services tab. I cannot proceed with this step.

Being unable to perform step #3, I have not continued.

Is anybody else seeing this problem? Has anyone managed to resolve it? Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

AN UPDATE

Given the total lack of response, this is apparently a problem that nobody else sees, so I have uninstalled Acrobat DC using the standard procedure outlined here: uninstall-reinstall-acrobat.html.

I then restarted the computer and reinstalled Acrobat DC from the Creative Cloud Desktop app. During the installation, "Progress is slower than usual. Working on resolving issue ..." appeared. Task Manager reported the setup process was using an excessive amount of system resources.

Acrobat D

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AN UPDATE

Given the total lack of response, this is apparently a problem that nobody else sees, so I have uninstalled Acrobat DC using the standard procedure outlined here: uninstall-reinstall-acrobat.html.

I then restarted the computer and reinstalled Acrobat DC from the Creative Cloud Desktop app. During the installation, "Progress is slower than usual. Working on resolving issue ..." appeared. Task Manager reported the setup process was using an excessive amount of system resources.

Acrobat DC opens much faster. It still reports "not responding" in situations where I never saw this previously, but performance is now acceptable. Performance isn't what it should be on a computer with an i9 processor and 32GB of RAM, but at least it's now functional.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Acrobat the only app that shows as not responding?  Every now and again, I find that Chrome is drinking up all sorts of resources for some reason, and it affects how other applications behave.  Can you open up your task manager/processes to see what is grabbing your resources?  

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. Only Acrobat was affected. Not Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Audition, Word, Excel, or Thunderbird. I use the Vivaldi browser, which is based on Chrome, but doesn't seem to have the memory hogging characteristics of Chrome. Most of the time CPU is under 25%.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I am seeing this problem And have been for a long time now. Drives me insane!

Having to work with many PDFS this week, so went looking for any possible solutions that may have been posted since last I looked. It's NOT the preferences files. Uninstalled, rebooted, found and used the Adobe removal tool (just in case), rebooted again, reinstalled through the Creative Cloud app and got the same "progress is slower than usual" message mentioned below. 

Opened the app and voila! Same old "unresponsive" and spinning wheel each and every time I open the app and each and every time I open any PDF doc. This includes those I create myself, created by others, and even downloaded bank statement PDFs. Doesn't matter.

It's not the docs, it's the app!!!!! And the problem has been going on for YEARS!

(You can probably detect a note of frustration in my typing. Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh to Adobe!)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines