• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat scans first page fine, but crops additional pages

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed a HP LaserJet Pro MFP4101fdwe.  I am using Adobe Acrobat to scan to .pdf.  It is set to scan letter size pages.  The first page scans just fine, but subsequent pages are cropped to only include text, e.g., eliminating the blank space of the magins.  This makes the scan useless, as it has changed the size of the paper.  This problem does NOT occur when I use the HP Scan software, so the problem seems to be with Adobe.  I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the printer.  Adobe, Windows, and the printer firmware are all up-to-date.

This problem occurs with TWAIN, but not WIA interface.  However, the WIA interface does not allow full use of the printer's functionality, e..g, does not allow single pass double sided scanning.

Work around #1.  Scan each page individually. E.g., Scan page 1.  Then scan again (append to file or insert page). Horribly ineffecient. Not feed individually, scan individually.  

Work around #2.  Scan in the HP Scan software, and then import into Adobe, e.g., to chage the file type to PDF/A (necessary for legal filings).

Adobe Acrobat Pro Ver 2022.03.20282

Windows 11 Pro, Ver 22H2, Build 22621.963

HP LaserJet Pro MFP4101fdwe (firmware updated), same problem via wireless network or USB

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would STRONGLY support Work Around #2. I've been reading of these errors for years on these forums, and using the scanner's software seems to be the only reliable solution I've heard of.

Do remember that Acrobat, as an application, cannot scan. Instead, it utilizes the scanner's software to scan (via TWAIN); when it works, great. Otherwise, the user can choose to do it the way it "should" work or it "works."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Sigh.

You are probably correct, and the problem may be with the TWAIN drivers (scanning worked perfectly with the prior HP MFP225dw).  I am having a hard time understaning how that would trigger cropping, but I'm not an expert.  Overall, I wish that Adobe would spend less energy trying to upsell me things that I don't need, and more energy making sure that the products I'm paying for work (I have other issues that I work around).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here are a couple of hints: Scan your work as TIF images and save it to a convenient location. The primary reason for this is that if you convert a TIF image to a PDF within Acrobat, it will automatically also do an OCR operation. If you can as a JPG image, you have to go back also to tell Acrobat to do the OCR operation. 

If you're doing a multipage document and saving each page to a folder, it will look something like this:

image.tif

image (2).tif

image (3).tif

ETC. 

When that is combined into a multipage document, the first page will show up at the end. You can either go into Organize pages and simply move that last page to the first position or:

Before you start the PDF process, take the first image and do this: image.tif -> image (1).tif.

Do whichever make you happy; neither is better or worse.

Also, if you need any tips on scanning for OCR, here's a blog I wrote for Adobe a number of years ago. The one thing that's changed since I wrote this is that the editing capabilities that are available in scanning software has gone way down. So, where I suggest various mechanisms to enhance the quality of the scan, they may or may not be there. All I can say is "do the best you can." Anything you do fix in the scanner will always be better than if you just tap the scan button.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-community-professionals/scanning-clean-searchable-pdfs/m-p/4785...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines