Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working

Enthusiast ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

I'm running the CS6 Master Collection on Win7 64bit, which was installed during May.

Today I tried to open a pdf document and although it shows in the browser preview pane, the document would not open. I then found the same trying to open other documents from a folder. I then found the Acrobat application wouldn't open at all either. When I click on it I get the little launch icon (which used to be an egg timer) for a second or two then it stops; I don't even get the splash screen.

Can anyone help me please and tell me how I can get Acrobat to start opening again please (without having to uninstall and reinstall everything if possible)?

Regards,

Graham

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Looks like they turned the work around into the official FIX. Is there any word on a patch to correct this? We are getting this after exactly 30 days on our installs.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link to my issue that I was plagued with, the first time I fixed the issue by uninstalling the entire suite, then reinstalling it - after the long process it was fixed.  thought I may have downloaded some Malware that freaked out my adobe, even the regular reader wouldn't open up. The simple Adobe fix http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days/_jcr_content/main-pars/downlo...

saved the day!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the fix isn't available anymore: 404 Page not found, please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat X does not display in my Application Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice try!  I did update using Application Manager after initial install of CS 6.  30 days later Acrobat X Pro would not launch.  Worked through the deactivate/reactivate and then update with Application Manager and it lists "try" on all applications except Photoshop.  Everything seems to work but the "try" in Application Manager is worrysome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2012 Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to update via Application Manager? I have just a list of Adobe prudocts offering to install trial there. No "update" option anywhere. I'm logged in with my Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, your suggestion to "update all of your CS6 applications via the Adobe Application Manager" does not work. In addition, I inadvertently clicked on the only link I saw for Acrobat and it loaded a trial version of Acrobat XI Pro. Not cool. Now I must unintall that and reinstall version X.

Please provide better help next time. This is a huge waste of time for many I'm sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had nothing but trouble with Acrobat Pro (any version).

Quit wasting my time with faulty installation/activation problems and fix it!!

Don't apologize, fixt it!!

I don't want to go through this again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still running into this issue with the current updates as of 3/17/14. The work around gets it back up for me...but still stupid this still hasn't been fixed in almost 2 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Upgraded to a new computer a couple of months ago and 30 days later couldn't figure out why Acrobat wouldn't launch. I had forgotten all about this issue (since Nov 2012 when I initially experienced this problem!) but after searching, I found myself back here. It seems pretty clear to me that Adobe is not interested in its non CC customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The issue has been resolved." Hah! Fortunately, the deactivate/reactivate method is still working. In honor of the latest Unicode release,  U+1F4A9 on you Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem, and also Acrobat X didn't display at all in my application manager even after updating the application manager. Sorry

6.David Kastendick, no dice, the issue is NOT resolved.

Deactivating and reactivating my suite fixed the problem, thanks much LoriAUC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the my Adobe Application Manager seems to think none of my Adobe products are installed.  The application lists "Try" by all applications.  This is in spite of the fact that I have CS6 creative suite (Windows 7) installed.  Thus, the solution to use Applicaiton Manager did not work for me.

However, LoriAUC's solution worked just fine.  Is this something that will have to happen every 30 days?  I would think Adobe could find an update that worked since this problem is certainly reproducible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this is still an issue for people. Was for me, too. Instead of going thru all the BS deactivate/do trial version/bla bla bla, I just reinstalled Acrobat 10 from my CS6 disk. Worked great, except after 30 days (which is today), Acrobat quit working again. So, I have found an even better solution. I nuked Acrobat 10 completely, and reloaded Acrobat 9 (upated to 9.5.2).  Good to go, and besides, I find ver. 9 so much better to work with, and much more user friendly.  And no more Adobe whizzing down my back and tell me its raining, so do this, then that, and also this, and then that.

Adobe here is some advice. Why don't you fix the REAL problem (incompetence and indifference to customers).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me, Acrobat 10 just stopped working completely, as if it wasn't even there. Tried Adobe's official advice of "This issue has has been resolved.  If you update all of your CS6 applications via the Adobe Application Manager, you shouldn't need to re-activate Acrobat again." but all applications were already up-to-date.  Tried deactivating through Photoshop and reactivating as in LoriAUC's suggestion (thanks LoriAUC!) and Acrobat is now working normally again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was frustated that my Acrobat X Pro has not been working & I had too much going on to deal w/ it. Finally, today I used a patch from Adobe that worked...I can now use my AcrobatX Pro!!!

It was a very simple solution, but I think it only works for those who got AcrobatX pro installed with  CS6.

Below is the solution that worked for me, Link below (hope it works):

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

Good Luck!

edited the link, hope it will work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've the same issue as of 2/1/2013, running CS6 Design & Web Premium on 64 bit Windows 7.  Acrobat 10.1.5 stopped launching when clicking on a PDF.  And the AAM Registration Notifier Application shows "Try" where it shouldn't.

LoriAUC's solution worked (for now), but I had to back-step and launch the Adobe applications via "Run as Administrator".  I also got an error dialog about registry issues, before launching as administrator.

So Adobe has not fixed this bug in the last 6 months . . .  going on 7 months.  Despite numerous references to it by frustrated customers on Adobe's own Web site.

I suggest that when/if they fix it, they also add some useful error messages to their 'failed validation' routines, so us dweebs get a bit of information about why our  Adobe software has gone AWOL, if they issue becomes unfixed in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two machines that this has been happening to and I just applied this "fix" to one of them that stopped working for the second time.  The other one is still working and I am going to run the AcroFix.exe on it before it craps out and see if it changes anything.  And if this so called "fix" doesn't fix either one of the installations after we spent the money on the suite, I WILL be pushing for a FREE upgrade to version 11 because it is causing too many problems and taking up too much of my time and the time for the person using the software and they have less time to waste on this issue than I do.  And I agree with you Stakhanoviter, as much as Adobe engineers put into their software they could at least add something to it for errors so that the user or IT personnel can have something to go on in order to troubleshoot the issue.  I got 21 more days to see if it is fixed.  Expect something from me then. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same error occured on my machine, Win 8 64-bit. 30 Days of use and Acrobat no longer worked. The 'fix' did't fix anything; I had to got the reactivation route. My employer paid a hefty sum of money for our licenses; I find it strange that no update has been implemented yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks all working again. Still needed to use the above work around as of today 21 Oct 2014 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if Adobe Acrobat X is the only product installed? My guess is that I need to re-install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

To anyone still stumped by this bug for any reason (updates didn't fix the bug, didn't update, etc), I found a quick and dirty workaround (3 minutes with no install) that will do the trick.

You'll need to have administrator privileges on your computer, or at least be authorized to change the system time and date by the group policies of your company.

1. Open the windows calendar (time and date, usually can be accessed by clicking in the windows bar on the date in the lower right corner)
  2. Click on "modify time and date..."
  3. Set the DATE one day earlier than the last time Acrobat worked fine
  4. Click OK
  5. Open Acrobat
  6. Open any file
  7. While Acrobat still is opened, set the DATE back to normal and click OK
  8. Close the file
  9. Close Acrobat
  10. Open Acrobat again to check it works again

Aaaaaand you're done

Bye,
GL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, GL.  Just had this problem show up today, after upgrading to Windows 10 a couple of months ago.  It did fix the issue for me, but only temporarily.  The next time I started the program, the problem returned.  Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven’t told us your symptoms. There is a problem causing unpatched Acrobat X to crash just after starting. Fixed years ago in 10.1.16. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.  Have been running 10.1.1 for years successfully, then today it launches for 30 seconds and then displays "Adobe Acrobat has stopped working".  I resist updating programs that are running stable, but will see if a more current version corrects the problem.

Downloaded and installed update 10.1.16, and all seems to be working just fine now.  Your helpful information was really appreciated, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines