• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat keeps crashing after launch even after reinstall

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to start my Adobe Acrobat but it keeps crashing right after I start it. I dose not even launch properly. I do not why it does that maybe after an update but I do not really remember doing one.

I am using Windows 11 22h2 with Adobe Acrobat 64-bit 22.003.20258.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also uninstalled it and installed it again but it did not change anything ;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am Vineet from Acrobat Engineering Team. We will need the crash logs from your machine to analyze the issue. Please follow the below to generate the crash logs: Press 'Start' key and search for 'cmd'. Launch the Command Prompt in admin i.e. 'Run as Administrator' mode. Run these four commands in a one-by-one manner:

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps"

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpFolder /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps"

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000040

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpType /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000002

Retry the scenario where Acrobat crashes. Press Win+R and type "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" and press Enter You will see .dmp file generated file recently. Please share that dump with us. Note it will be a large file. You may upload the logs to Adobe Send and share the link with us via email (Forum Private message *): How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

Regards,

Vineet

Acrobat Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the dump. 

·       Is it possible for you to share Acrobat.dll,AcrobatRes.dll,Acrobat.exe present at the installation location –

For 64 bit - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here u go, but this is taking waaay too long

Acrobat.dll 

AcrobatRes.dll 

Acrobat.exe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too. Seems to me it started with the update released on Oct 11th.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020: 8 of our business Windows 10 enterprise PCs have seized up in the past 5 days.

Old reliable users who never had issues and even a couple of new users with the latest version from 10/11/22.

A Repair does nothing. Removed app; Restarted PC; Reinstalled on 8 PCs--one of them had the issue happen again!!

I am waiting for Monday morning to see if there are any repeats.  There was a Windows 10 update before the issue on at least one of the problem PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that the "Adobe Genuine service" has caused the issue with a dozen of our enterprise PCs. ~12 of 60.

I now remove this app, then remove Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 and Restart the PC.

When I reinstall Acrobat, at the screen where you enter the license key, there is a checkbox regarding the Genuine service. I Uncheck it and Adobe installs without the companion genuine service app.  Mon thru Thursday were terrible as some users had to go thru this process 3 or 4 times. It is quieter today as at least 9 PCs are no longer running Genuine service.  Waiting to see if there are any more user issues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is also not my problem.  (No unknown accounts under that Security tab).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about the current user account?

I've seen this happen in my Windows 11 but not on Window 10.

I noticed that after applying updates, a different system process became the owner of the directory where my PDFs reside, and the current user account attributes changed from Full Access rights to read only or disabled.

I had to work around this as Administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No updates. Fresh installs. Now looking back over this last 8-10 days we have 23 (not just 12) users affected. Just opening Acrobat Pro 2020 and clicking on a toolbar item can trigger the "Not responding" on the top title bar. Very random. All users are local administrators on their PCs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my PCs are Windows 10.  Most are probably 21H2 with full updates. I will keep track of any other PCs that I have to subsequently fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Task Manager shows approximately 15% CPU useage for Adobe Acrobat when it seizes up. We have to 'End task'. Remove/Restart PC/Reinstall. Multiple PCs have had this done 3-6 times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be able to share some crashlogs or a screenshot of the services thst are running in the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New today:  4 users reported Acrobat Pro 2020 seizing up.  Then 20-40 minutes later it starts working.

Do you have an idea what Acrobat Process or PC process could be causing this?

What can I do to force Acrobat back into operations immediately? 

One of the Adobe AcroCEF (32-bit) (1 of 3) will show 'not responding' in task manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++EDITED REPLY, added an additional suggestion at the end 

I need to see a screenshot of the task manager showing as many procecess as you can  capture, and a screenshot of all the system services that you have enabled, plus a screenshot of all the startup programs.

If you prefer you can share  a slide via private message.

At home or on personal computers I normally do a lot of unconventional and unorthodox hacks. But you are in a live production environment at work.  

I'd rather exhaust all troubleshooting options available from the appropriate Adobe and Microsoft support guidance.

See here:

The screenshots that I really consider useful are on the "Services" and "Startup" tabs of the task manager.

If else fails, then I don't mind suggesting some brute force.

In the meanwhile,  before you try anything, keep logging all the failed troublshooting steps chronologically.

And verify if the same behavior occurs when these misbehaving computers are disconnected from the Internet completely (no Ethernet, no WiFi, no Bluetooth, and no USB printer attached nor external USB storage devices).

++ As you do this, and have the test computer(s) isolated from any networks, disable any AntiVirus software and compare the information displayed this time in the Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ROGER26604186rm6p 

I hope you are doing well, and we're sorry for your trouble.

To investigate further, we would need the crash logs from the affected machines. Please follow the below to generate the crash logs: Press the' Start' key and search for 'cmd'. Launch the Command Prompt in admin, i.e. 'Run as Administrator mode. Run these four commands in a one-by-one manner:

• REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps"
  • REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpFolder /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps"
  • REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000040
  • REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /v DumpType /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000002

Retry the scenario where Acrobat crashes. Press Win+R and type "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" and press Enter. You will see the .dmp file generated file recently. Please share that dump with us. Note it will be a large file.

Note: The file will be large, so upload it to the Dcoument Cloud storage, generate the share link and send it to us: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/home/ 

Also, please share the Acrobat.dll,AcrobatRes.dll,Acrobat.exe present at the installation location –

For 64-bit - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat
For 32-bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat

Thanks for your time and your cooperation on this.

Best!

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Has there been any progress on this issue? We also have users with the same issue after what seems to be the 20.005.30407 update. 

@ROGER26604186rm6p  have your team at your organization figured out a workaround for now? 
I wonder if we need to revert back to the previous release as this version is unusable by our users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We even tried the latest optional update with the same issue. After a day or so of using it, it freezes. 
We had to resort to downgrading to august 9th version and disabling Adobe updater in preference, Adobe updater in windows service and task scheduler. 
 We hope Adobe fixed this issue as this will force us to find alternative solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting. But it is not the question I asked. Stuart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My colleague German Burgos has been working with Adobe the past month. He was sent a procedure:

We were given an older version to install after removing Adobe, running the Adobe Cleanup (that was supplied) and Restarting the PC. A third file we received was an update to a version ending with: 30381.

Then we stopped Windows services for Adobe and Disabled them.  Seemed better but not for much longer.

What I found was the popup to 'Update Acrobat' appeared; either where it was running off on its own--or, where I could manually stop it (and remove it from the Hidden icon area -- if not able, restart PC). So I added my own additional procedure.

Open 'Task Scheduler' and click on 'Task scheduler library'; RIGHT-Click 'Adobe Acrobat' and choose Disable.

We were doing this after doing the recommended Adobe procedure--sometimes it was to late as the update was triggered. 

So now I just suggested that we do that before removing the 'freezing' Acrobat and check it after the PC restarts.

(before leaving the PC I now also check 'Notification and features'. Sometime I see Adobe there and so I slide it to the left (to be off). Maybe this will stop the popup that sticks and allows the user to update; something we do not want them to do until a fix is published--I have, in most cases, also vervbally told them to not click any update popups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happened to me.  I could not access the 'combined files' feature. I am a bit annoyed for I am paying for this software, and I am not a software wizard to go and make a lot of programme changes as Vineet suggested.  Not my job. However, it appears my problem got solved by downloading the Adobe Acrobat Desktop App from https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/home/, by login into your own account. These crashes definitely started between the 29th Sept and the 14th October, for within this period I did not use my computer. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To everyone with this issue,

See if the solution offered in the topic linked below helps in any way:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thxx, but thats not it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines