• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I search a PDF to find the first time a word appears in a document?

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a college student, and I use Adobe Acrobat to read pretty much all of my textbooks. When I search the textbooks, it always takes me to the next closest result for that word or phrase. I am often search for the first use of the word in the book so I can get to its definition quickly. This means clicking "previous" multiple times. Sometimes a word isn't mentioned after, so it scans through the hundreds of pages which, to be fair, it does very quickly, but when I am doing this over and over it becomes very obnoxious. So, I typically have to scroll to page 1 and then search,  but that is just as obnoxious. I looked through a few articles and the Acrobat Search help page, but I didn't find any settings that do what I want. Is there a setting I can alter so the search function starts from page 1 rather than my current location in the PDF?

Thanks,

Harrison

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Advanced Search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or jump to the top of the document (press the Home key) before starting the search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Harrison281999015u6g 

++adding on to what experts have suggested. 

Try Advanced Search, and see if that would help you. Open Acrobat>Edit> Advanced Search> Show More Option. 

Set the preferences according to your requirement. 

AkanchhaS_0-1675275551501.png

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Harrison281999015u6g 

In addition to using Search instead of Find, you might want to customize your Toolbar to add the Previous View and Next View buttons. Clicking Previous View will take you back to where you were working. Zooming is considered a View, btw.

Details here: (scroll to "Retrace your viewing path")

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/acrobat/using/navigating-pdf-pages.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines