Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Copying text from a PDF and pasting to TextEdit etc. missing certain characters

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, a strange issue with Acrobat DC (latest version). Im running iMac 2019 / Big Sur 11.4.

When I open any PDF document with Acrobat and copy/paste text from the pdf to TextEdit (in Plain Text mode), the copied text is missing all ä, ö and å characters, which are very common in Finnish language.

The problem started this morning. Earlier last week I copy/paste'd 150 pages of text full of ä's and ö's without any problems. 

In "Plain text mode" (which I use to get rid of formatting) TextEdit replaces ä, ö and å characters in the copied text with empty spaces. So for example copying a word like "Säätila" from a pdf in Acrobat, reads "S tila" in TextEdit. 

I also tested copying and pasting text from a PDF (opened in Acrobat) directly to Illustrator, Photoshop, inDesign and Google Chromes address bar, and the same problem is there. Ä's and ö's and other Scandinavian characters are missing.

Copying text with Acrobats "Copy with formatting"-option (which Ive never used before) also works but then the text has unnecessary hyphens, so that doesn't really help me. Only cases where copy/paste works (at least for me) is when copying from Acrobat to TextEdits "Rich Text mode", gmails new message or Macs own programs like "Pages".

After I noticed the problem, I made the latest Big Sur update, uninstalled/reinstalled Acrobat DC twice, but the problem is still there.

So after everything I've tested, the root of the problem seems to be when copying text from a PDF in Acrobat DC. Elsewhere copy/paste seems to work fine.

Any idea what's causing this?

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: copy/paste with Acrobats "Edit PDF" function works fine. Ä's and ö's are there. The issue described above seems to only occur when highlighting text directly without "Edit PDF" and then copy/pasting it. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Issue is reproducible at our end.

Has forwarded it to our engineering team.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

For now as a workaround, please use "Copy With Formatting" option available on right click context menu (right beneath "Copy" option). 

-Gaurav

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Thanks for your time and for your cooperation on this.

Hope you are doing well.

The fix is available now with the latest update of Acrobat and Reader DC. Please install the latest update from the following link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousjunehotfix2...

Download the setup, run it, reboot the machine (if possible) and check the app functionality.

To know more about the latest update, you can refer to this article: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousjunehotfix2...

Let us know if you still experience any issues.

Regards,
Gaurav Sharma

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines