• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Save Location in DC

Engaged ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like the new DC interface, but whoever came up with the save file dialog box and whoever approved it need to be taken to the woodshed.  I understand you're trying to promote the cloud but making your customers work harder for your convenience isn't a business model.  Please provide a way to change the default save location.  Please don't be lazy and tell me to put a shortcut in the My Documents folder.  An hour or so of programming on your part would save your customers countless extra clicks.  You're a good company.  A great company would think of their customers first.  Be great!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Hi rickhino,

There is a preference in the Preferences dialog box of Acrobat/Reader that brings back your default Save dialog box. Press [Ctrl/Cmd]+K, Select "General" on the left rail. On the right you'll see a checkbox saying "Show online storage while saving files". Check that off. You'll get your default Save dialog box. Is that what you wanted? Or there is something else too?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

This fixed my problem. I've been annoyed with this for ages, and finally decided to search the internet for a solution. Your works perfectly, and now my work flow is no longer annoying and terrible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rickhino,

There is a preference in the Preferences dialog box of Acrobat/Reader that brings back your default Save dialog box. Press [Ctrl/Cmd]+K, Select "General" on the left rail. On the right you'll see a checkbox saying "Show online storage while saving files". Check that off. You'll get your default Save dialog box. Is that what you wanted? Or there is something else too?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Definitely improves my workflow as most of what I create is proprietary and can't save in the cloud.

Thank you very much!

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to save a specific local folder as the default location for saving? What about for opening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Len,

There is not a way yet to mark any folder as the default save/open location. However, if you are operating from a single folder to open/save files then that folder will be the topmost one in the recent folders list in My Computer tab.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Recent Folder list isn't updating properly.  It gives me options I haven't used for months.  How do I refresh it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank goodness rickhino asked the question (May 18, 2015).   thx for the answer MohitBansal.

i've put-up with that silly interface for 2 yrs or so.  lazy me.

why so many firms (apple, msft, adobe, etc) are now pushing (coding to opush us to) the cloud is so silly and opportunistic.  America doesnt have bandwidth too, right?  

my point: thank you rickhino & MohitBansal.  yup, i have my nomal interface back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been suffering that ridiculous dialog box for over a year.  Thank you for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem was that when I save a pdf from an email, \Temp was always my first choice on the recent folders list. I did the fix, but now my save as/recent folders list is gone. It defaults to the last folder I saved a file in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda, yeah, but I want to turn it off on all my apps, one-by-one if I need to but like to just shut that whole thing off from saving procedure..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this solution but even after unchecking the"Show online storage while saving files" box it still opens the window to select the destination. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Key to this (should be obvious but took me a couple of tries) is to click "Okay" or "Save changes" at the bottom of the preferences window--it's a huge pane so you have to scroll down.  The program doesn't allow you to resize that window like every normal Windows program does, so that was a bit of a gotcha.

Also, this still leaves a major inconvenience even though it's an improvement.  Everytime I go to save a downloaded file from a Web site, the Save As... location is temporary files instead of the directory into which I've navigated umpteen times with prior download files.  Again, a normal Windows program remembers where you last saved to but apparently that's not how Adobe rolls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my problem. I've been annoyed with this for ages, and finally decided to search the internet for a solution. Your works perfectly, and now my work flow is no longer annoying and terrible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t understand why there is no option to plainly override the file in the My Computer tab of this dialog. What’s more, Choose a Different Folder… defaults to the documents folder (not the folder where the file is located), which feels counter-intuitive. And finally, as far as I know, there is already another dialog to save files to the cloud, why clutter this one at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vq,

The folder where is the file is located is the topmost location in the recent folders list. That is the reason why the "Choose a different folder..." default to documents folder and the one where the file is located. I don't think there is any other dialog to save files to the cloud.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi M.Bansal,

Thank you for the reply.

1. The problem is it's not always true. When the file path is long, the recent folder is not there (tried with a path that is 94 characters long using the latest Windows version).

2. Unfortunately, to override a file this new dialog requires one click more than the old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem, IMO, is that Adobe is more concerned about promoting their cloud service than making user-friendly programming choices.  It's too bad really.  They're bound to lose customers when they put the needs of the product promotion team and the IT department ahead of their user's needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Programming since the early 90's I remember the excitement in the programming world in 2000 when we jumped from 56.6 modem to HSI via cable. Fancy things appeared on web sites and cloud software. The only problem was 90% of the country was still on dial up. The calls started coming in that the software did not work. All of the fancy took to long to load.

I put a sign above my desk the summer of 2000 that is still there.

Just Because You Can Does Not Mean You Should. Does moving the icons around make it better or annoying for the client.

I wish corporate programmers would follow Terry's First Law of Programming.

Linking the World One Business @ a Time

Sincerely,

Terry Fortino

Network Administrator

Tampa Bay Domains, Inc.

8710 W Hillsborough Ave #142

Tampa FL 33615

813-408-8804 office

813-773-0060 fax

813-781-6123 cell

terry@tampabay.domains

www.tampabay.domains 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just because you can doesn't mean all your customers can. Thank you.

I support Terry's First Law of Programming. 

CalWriter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vq,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. While trying to reproduce the issue internally, we were able to save files which have a path length of more than 94 characters and it was also getting reflected on the recent folders. Kindly help us in identifying the problem better by providing the following details:

1. Are you using Reader or Acrobat? Kindly specify the product version as well. To do so, Go to Help --> About Acrobat Reader/Pro DC.

2. When you were trying with a long file path, were you actually able to save the file? Can you please share the absolute file path.

Regards,

Sandeep Grover

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sangrover,

1. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, 2015 Release, Version 2015.009.20077

2. Yes, I can still save the file by selecting Choose a Different Folder... and then manually navigating to the folder I need to save it. The path is: C:\Users\Vadim\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\flujmstd.default\zotero\storage\WDKTB8UV

(Note: there must be no space after WDK at the end, the forum adds it for some reason.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!  Staff getting involved.  Very good work!  I think they need you on the InDesign team.  Hasn't been right since the 2015 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The initial problem has not been answered, no matter what the dialog says.  I have to load ca 15 files/hour from a website, edit them and save them all in the same folder on my computer. DC defaults every time to save in the temporary download folder. A real everyday pain - an absolutely unnecessary "improvement".

How do I choose a default folder rather than go through a convoluted menu of choices to change the save folder, every time, all day, every day?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I have unchecked the "show online storage" box but I still do not get an option to save to recent folder.  no matter what I do every document I try to save goes to a default folder that is drilled down deep and I can not change the default location or figure out how to get it to prompt me to save in a recent folder.  I had no problems with this function in the previous version.  Here is the location it defaults to:

C:\Users\jgracey\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Outlook\PN6CVBDY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly. Hardly helpful. I want to default to my top document folder and then just naivgate to the relevant sub folder.

Most other apps provide this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines