• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: Not enough memory copying pdf-Files in Win 10 to USB (exFAT)

New Here ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All pdf-files on Dropbox contain the attribute ":com.dropbox.attributes:$DATA" which prevents my Windows Explorer from copying to my USB. Why does Acrobat somehow interfere with the copying in Windows Explorer? I get the error that my machine does not have enough working memory (I have 32 GB). My USB is exFAT formated. If I format it NTFS it works. Copying the files with cmd works, so it has something to do with this attribute. Please help!

Acrobat-Details:

Sandboxing: Aus

Captive Reader: Nein

Unterstützung für mehrere Reader-Instanzen auf Desktop: Aus

Anzeigedetails:

Bildschirmbreite: 1920

Bildschirmhöhe: 1080

Anzahl der Monitoren: 1

Anzahl der Maustasten: 5

Mit Mausrad: Ja

Mit Digitalstift: Nein

Doppelbyte-Zeichensatz: Nein

Mit Eingabemethoden-Editor: Ja

In Bildschirmsprachausgabe: Nein

Benutzername: ---

Betriebssystemhersteller: Microsoft Corporation

Betriebssystemname: Microsoft Windows 10

Betriebssystemversion: 10.0.14393 

BIOS-Version: DELL   - 1072009

Gebietsschema: ---

Gesamter realer Speicher: 4194303 KB

Gesamter virtueller Speicher: 4194176 KB

Grafikkarte: NVIDIA Quadro K2100M

Version: 21.21.13.6926

Test: OK

Größe der Auslagerungsdatei: 4194303 KB

Installierte Acrobat-Version: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Version: 17.9.20044.222436

Erstellungsdatum: 2017/04/05

Erstellungszeit: 02:38:20

Installierte Anwendungen:

Office-Version: Office 2016 32-bit

Kontodetail:

Benutzerrechte: Normal

Benutzerkontensteuerung: Beschränkt

Prozessintegrität: Mittel

Profiltyp: Keine

Monitor:

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Auflösung: 1920 x 1080 x 60

Bit pro Pixel: 32

Prozessor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3  GenuineIntel  ~2893  Mhz

Sitzungsdetail:

Boot-Typ: Normal

Wird heruntergefahren: Nein

Netzwerk: Verfügbar

In Citrix: Nein

In VMWare: Nein

Remotesitzung: Nein

Fernsteuerung: Nein

Verwenden von JAWS: Nein

ZoomText verwenden: Nein

Verwenden von Windows-Eyes: Nein

Verwenden von NVDA: Nein

Standard-Browser:

Standard-E-Mail-Anwendung: Microsoft Outlook

mapi32.dll

Version: 1.0.2536.0 (rs1_release.160715-1616)

Erstellungsdatum: 2016/07/16

Erstellungszeit: 13:42:48

Systemname: WI18AM313037

Temporärer Ordner: C:\Users\---\AppData\Local\Temp\

Verfügbarer realer Speicher: 4194303 KB

Verfügbarer virtueller Speicher: 3920680 KB

Windows-Details:

Tablet-PC: Nein

Starter Edition: Nein

Media Center Edition: Nein

Langsamer Rechner: Nein

Windows-Verzeichnis: C:\WINDOWS

Zeitzone: Mitteleuropäische Zeit

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

In Windows Explorer disable Preview or use a other file manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you feel that Acrobat is involved in this process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I change the open-procedure of the pdf-Files for instance to Gsview or SumatraPDF I CAN copy-paste the file without any problems. Only files with a StreamName are considered. The StreamName need not to be from Dropbox, any other is also the problem. So it is the interaction between Acrobat - StreamNames and the exFat-formating.

I have never seen something that strange before on my machine! And believe me - I have more than 30 years of extensive computerexperiance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows Explorer disable Preview or use a other file manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using an other file manager is not an alternative.

Disable Preview did the job! Will you fix this bug in a future update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! I thought that you are an Adobe-Man. Thank you anyway. Great. I am happy again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you feel that Acrobat is involved in this process?

By @Test Screen Name

I have the same issue as @marcels92624471  (the impossibility to copy PDF files to all my USB keys) so I had a deeper look at the issue. And my conclusion is that only Acrobat triggers this blocking issue. So indeed it should be submitted to Adobe (if not yet done) and fixed by Adobe.

Indeed, the issue is not limited to Dropbox files.

I have the exact same problem with Tresorit files.

In fact...
- My PC has hard drives formatted in NTFS
- My USB keys are usually formatted in FAT32 (but it's the same problem with FAT or extFAT)
- On Acrobat > Preferences > General > I have "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" enabled

In this context, some PDF files, not all, cannot be copied via Windows Explorer from any of my PC hard drive to any of my USB keys.
I get an "Out of memory - There is not enough memory to complete this operation." error message.

Like @marcels92624471 , I've identified that it's caused by the NTFS Alternate Data Streams, the Tresorit one in my case ":tresorit.filled:$DATA" that some files, not all, have.

So when exactly does the issue occurs and how to reproduce it?

1/ The problem is linked to NTFS Alternate Data Streams
Not a single file with no NTFS Alternate Data Stream has any issue.
But files with some specific NTFS Alternate Data Streams, in a very specific context, are affected.

2/ It occurs only when we copy from a NTFS HD to a non NTFS USB key (like FAT, FAT32 or exFAT).
NTFS Alternate Data Streams exist only on NTFS drives so there's no issue when we copy a file:
- from a non NTFS HD to any USB key
- or from a NTFS HD to a NTFS USB key

3/ Not all types of NTFS Alternate Data Stream can trigger the issue.
Some NTFS Alternate Data Streams seem transparent for Windows Explorer. It's the case of ":Zone.Identifier:$DATA".
When we try to copy a file with a ":Zone.Identifier:$DATA" NTFS ADS, there is never any error or even warning. It looks very transparent.
But some NTFS Alternate Data Streams (like the Dropbox or Tresorit ones) are not. All files with a Dropbox, Tresorit
and probably other NTFS Alternate Data Streams, whatever file type/extension, always trigger at least an "Interrupted Action - Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?" warning. I've personally verified it's the case for .pdf, .docx, .tif or .jpg files, but IMO it's the same for all files, it's not linked to the file type/extension.
But at this stage, it's quite a fair warning. It just informs us that something will be lost during the copy, which is true and normal as we leave the NTFS format.

4/ Only Acrobat/PDF files can trigger a blocking error
For most file types/extensions the only consequence is the "Interrupted Action" warning pop-up we just talked above. We can still accept to lose the NTFS ADS and the file will be copied.

But for Acrobat/PDF files, there are 2 cases:
- if "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" is disabled in Acrobat > Preferences > General, Windows Explorer will display the "Interrupted Action" warning pop-up and still allow the file copy if we accept to lose the ADS.
- but if "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" is enabled in Acrobat > Preferences > General, then Windows Explorer displays an "Out of memory - There is not enough memory to complete this operation." error message and do NOT allow to copy the file. The issue becomes blocking for anyone who did not identified the causes and workarounds.
And this, so far, happens ONLY with PDF files, when "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" is enabled.

So yes, IMO it is linked to this "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" functionality of Acrobat and it needs to be fixed. Even with this functionality enabled, we should just get the "Interrupted Action" warning and still be able to copy the file.

Indeed the workarounds are to:

- disable "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" in Acrobat > Preferences > General, but we will lose the thumbnail preview of PDF files in Windows Explorer
- or format the USB key in NTFS, but there will be some drawbacks if the USB key also has to be used on a Mac.

But most users who are not technical enough, will never identify what's going wrong and find those workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got around this by using the Command Processor COPY command. It works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines