• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: The file may be a read only, or another user has it open.

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After my computer did the adobe update on monday, it stopped letting me save. I get the error message, " The file may be a read only, or another user has it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different location." It is not read only no one else has it open, and I tried all of the above. It also gives me an error, "The document could not be saved. This file could not be found."  I have been using these same files, and they worked fine until the new adobe update. I have tried disabling the detail pane and preview pane under file explorer with no resolution. Everything else on my computer works, its just when I am trying to save an adobe file, and I did not have this issue until the new adobe update on monday. I also tried to install the patch for the nov update, and that did not help either. I have also went under properties - general - and made sure that anything that said could storage was disabled. I have tried everything in the adobe forums and anything I could find on the internet and still can not save like I could, before the adobe update. I just now tried Edit>Preferences>Documents - uncheck "Save As optimizes for Fast Web View", and that did not help either. I have also tried Tried Edit/Preferences/Security(Enhanced) unchecked Enable Enhanced Security. I am not using Details View.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Hi hemanth.majji,

Thank you for sharing your findings with us. It will surely help other users facing the similar issue.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currenty having this issue Mar 2022.... i have my files on the gdrive and they open fine and i can update and save to the same place but when i try and share the, to a usb it just errors or wont save saying the file may be read-only or another user may have it open, please save doc with another name or in a different folder. This is dumb and frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luci, 

Sorry to hear that the problem still persists.

Generally, the following error message appears when your file is saved on any cloud storage, such as Google Drive, One Drive, etc. Then, upon making the changes into the file directly from Acrobat, it doesn't let you save it, as the background sync process is going on. 

In such a case, you can either stop/quit the file sync with the respective cloud storage or save the file with a different name. 

If this solution doesn't work, then you must follow the steps suggested in this official help article: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/unable-to-save-pdf-windows-10.html 

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am recieving the following, an issue that many users have been having since 2017. Why is this still happening? My problem is as follows - When I combine a few different PDF files and try to save them as one document I get the message "The file may be a read only, or another user has it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different location." It is not read only no one else has it open, and I tried all of the above. It also gives me an error, "The document could not be saved. This file could not be found." I am unable to save any documents using Adobe Acrobat on my iMac. Can you please fix this issue?

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 17.12.01.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's late January 2023 and the problem above still happens. I am using an Apple iMac using MacOS Ventura 13.1

This problem of not being able to save a pdf into a drive should not exist, it appears to be a flaw for years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue presists in 2023.

Situation:

-domain joined pc 

-couldn't save back to network share

-Resolved by turning of file preview in Windows explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get your issue resolved? It's now 2022 and I have the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences, internet, uncheck display in read mode by default. This fixed same issue for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open file properties in the OS file explorer to ensure the attributes check box "read only" is unmarked.  This fixed the issue on a windows 10 machine.

teejared_0-1699989745367.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines