• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable Form - Text Alignment changes when opened in browser

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(see attachments) I build forms for the organization that need to be both fillable and printable. In some cases, the fields have lines associated with them should the form be printed and filled out by hand. However, although I have made sure that the text aligns with the lines when filling the form in using the Adobe desktop app, it does not align when it is opened in browser. Browser is the default setting for everyone in the organization now so everyone will be by default trying to view and fill out these forms in browser but some might also still use the desktop app. I need the text to stay aligned with the lines regardless of what is used to open and view it. How do I fix this?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

The fix is to not use the browser. Put simply, brower PDF viewers suck. They generally suck because they typically implement a minimum of the PDF specification, and in some cases, features are implemented wrong. So, you should never use a browser to fill out a PDF form, ever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is to not use the browser. Put simply, brower PDF viewers suck. They generally suck because they typically implement a minimum of the PDF specification, and in some cases, features are implemented wrong. So, you should never use a browser to fill out a PDF form, ever. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree but I don't have any control over that so it doesn't help me much unless there is some way I can force it to open in desktop only from the form side of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well actually, there is something can be done. A layer can be placed over the PDF pages that blocks the main text.  Layers can be hidden with a script. So a document level script in the document will automatically remove the layer, but only when the PDF is opened in a viewer that implements enough of the PDF scripting model for this script to work. Any viewer hides the layer is more than good enough to fill a form and align the text properly.

You can find an example here:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Lite-Document-Security-Description.cfm

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines