• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change pixel/mm to dpi in Acrobat Object Inspector?

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I just wanted to check the resolution of an image in a PDF-file and the object inspector showed the resolution in pixel per mm (pixel/mm), which is absolute horsepoo. How do I change that in dpi?

Thanks!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is that horsepoo?

Inch and mm are units, so try changing the unit from mm to inch. All your measures will be in inches then.

I'm on PC, so it's for me under Edit→Preferences.

You can also simply multiply the value by 25.4 (one inch is 25.4 mm)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is, because the common, established unit for print resolution is dpi and not pixel per millimeter, but for everything else we do use the metric system. So using inches instead of mm in general is not an option. Were american developers involved, who are blind on that eye?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Officially' it's ppi (pixels per inch) and not dpi (dots per inch). Dpi refers to the physical dots of ink per inch on a printed or scanned image. But thanks for the Edit > Preferences tip, i was looking for the same thing!-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DPI refers to physical dots of ink of a print on paper, WHAAAAT? Unbelievably insightful stuff here!
The problem is: Dots Per Inch to check the resolution of an image in a print PDF, millimeters or centimeters for dimensions of pages and layout object. Obviously you can only have one (set in the prefs), because Adobe is too american to get, that we on the other side of the pond (“Ooold Europe” for you Rumsfeldians), use the metric system in everything but print resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines