• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove background once I have done OCR?

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have had multiple situations like in the image below.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Adobe has done great OCR, but I now want my PDF to be only WHITE BACKGROUND and OCR-ed TEXT. 

But - when I try to go "remove background" nothing changes.

This is important to me because I print everything I read, so finding out how to do it would help a lot.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

I addition to the good info above, you could try one or both of these preflight fixups- (Tools> Print Production> Preflight). Once the text is on a separate layer, you can toggle the other layers on and off, or delete them.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 11.44.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-23 at 11.42.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fico,

Starting with a better scan will do more for removing that background than anything that Acrobat can do. Please read through this blog I wrote for Adobe

http://photosbycoyne.com/Gary's_Help/Scanning/clean-scanning.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gary_sc, this is a very interesting document! Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Gary_sc  

Thank you so much for your helpful article.  Highly appreciated.   Regards Henrik Burchardi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I addition to the good info above, you could try one or both of these preflight fixups- (Tools> Print Production> Preflight). Once the text is on a separate layer, you can toggle the other layers on and off, or delete them.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 11.44.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-23 at 11.42.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I did as you explained, but in layers tab I still see only "Text" and nothing else that I could delete?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can hide the new text layer by clicking the eyeball icon in the layers panel, then go to Tools> Edit PDF> select all (marquee select), delete.

Or you can use this preflight that should create additional layers.

Multi layers.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fico,

If you do a good scan, there's nothing to hide or remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your statement is spurious at best. Everyone's parameters differ based on the materials and expectations for the project. It would have been better to answer the question without the condescending platitudes concerning your personal philosophies about scanning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing this for over 30 years, but obviously, you know much more than me.

Suit yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can at length, opine that you were the first to operate an Altair computer, or that you were in the room when the transistor was invented or that you heard the first voice radio transmission made by Canadian Reginald Fessendena at the turn of the century. However, as I stated earlier, you failed to provide anything substantive except platitudes that would make the great philosophers roll their eyes, while contributing nothing useful to solving the problem. Furthermore, you refused to acknowledge your own shortcomings twice now, by doubling down with drivel. If your PDF philosophies are so powerful, why do they not solve the problem as asked by the poster? By merely answering my comment with a self aggrandising, passive aggressive statement, I understand fully why you were unable to offer a solution to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines